Poulan/Poulan Pro 3314, 3516, 3818, 3816, 4018, 4218, etc question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlenarduzzi

Reaction score
I have been fooling around doing some parts research since I have 2 of these 4218 saws. In my discovery, it seems that the same part # for the crank/rod assembly, piston assembly, and cylinder head assembly show to fit all of these different size cc saws........Am i missing something here? The same crank, rod, piston, and cylinder fit a 3314 and a 4218? Whats the deal?

Yup... all 42cc saws... The 3314 really ain't too bad either.... (did I just say that?) I just replaced the piston and cylinder of a smoked crafty 4018 with a good one out of a 3314... They are identical... It's got the weird strato carb on it too...

I have been fooling around doing some parts research since I have 2 of these 4218 saws. In my discovery, it seems that the same part # for the crank/rod assembly, piston assembly, and cylinder head assembly show to fit all of these different size cc saws........Am i missing something here? The same crank, rod, piston, and cylinder fit a 3314 and a 4218? Whats the deal?

The 33 in 3314 and the 40 in 4018 is just a number. It is easier to resticker 2 different saws and have a bigger line-up than it is to retool for several different pistons and jugs. it saves them money in production and warehousing parts to make a one size fits all engine and do a color change on the injection mold machines for the cases.

They have a myriad of color schemes, stickers and bars/chains for basically 2 saws. One is anti-vibe the other isn't. If you check the ID tag on the back of the saw there is a line that says Displacement: 42cc. This the same from the 3314 to the 4218. The line-up directly preceeding these saws were basically the same way. They had basically (2) 36cc and (2) 42cc engines with minor differences depending on year, AV or non-AV . One set had chrome bore the other had a chrome piston.

The main differences, besides color and anti-vibe, is the bar length and the chain. Most will have Oregon 91VJ chain, the rest will have 91VG chain. From what I've seen, the run-of-the-mill Pxxxx series gets 91VJ the PPxxxx series seem to get the 91VG.

The smaller framed PP295/PP4620 is in a different line-up.

The 33 in 3314 and the 40 in 4018 is just a number. It is easier to resticker 2 different saws and have a bigger line-up than it is to retool for several different pistons and jugs. it saves them money in production and warehousing parts to make a one size fits all engine and do a color change on the injection mold machines for the cases.

They have a myriad of color schemes, stickers and bars/chains for basically 2 saws. One is anti-vibe the other isn't. If you check the ID tag on the back of the saw there is a line that says Displacement: 42cc. This the same from the 3314 to the 4218. The line-up directly preceeding these saws were basically the same way. They had basically (2) 36cc and (2) 42cc engines with minor differences depending on year, AV or non-AV . One set had chrome bore the other had a chrome piston.

The main differences, besides color and anti-vibe, is the bar length and the chain. Most will have Oregon 91VJ chain, the rest will have 91VG chain. From what I've seen, the run-of-the-mill Pxxxx series gets 91VJ the PPxxxx series seem to get the 91VG.

The smaller framed PP295/PP4620 is in a different line-up.

Did poulan make a ~50 / 60 cc saw in recent years?

Howdy, I'm about 20 miles north of you. I can't answer your question, but at the top of the Chainsaws page there is a sub-forum titled Stickies, and in it there's a thread dedicated to Poulan chainsaws. Maybe one of the moderators will move your thread there, or you might want to re-post your question in the Poulan thread.

Here's a direct link

http://www.arboristsite.com/stickies/98495.htm

Edit--Well, while I was typing several other folks responded. I'll send some Texas rep to you!

Howdy, I'm about 20 miles north of you. I can't answer your question, but at the top of the Chainsaws page there is a sub-forum titled Stickies, and in it there's a thread dedicated to Poulan chainsaws. Maybe one of the moderators will move your thread there, or you might want to re-post your question in the Poulan thread.

Here's a direct link

http://www.arboristsite.com/stickies/98495.htm

Edit--Well, while I was typing several other folks responded. I'll send some Texas rep to you!

Have you been absorbed??? By, the "BRAD"??????

I just read quite a bit of the Poulan sticky, the "B**D" comment now makes sense to me, although I can't say that I appreciate it.

I know what you're meaning... But there were quite a few folks that didn't like that idea of consolidating...

Did poulan make a ~50 / 60 cc saw in recent years?

Yeah, bunches of them in those class sized saws and much bigger. Poulan once stood for more than a box store or Wal-Mart saw.

Acres Internet is a good place to see what they once offered.

Hmmmm not sure why this didn't post earlier. My connection has been flakey lately.

Last edited:
Yeah, bunches of them in those class sized saws and much bigger. Poulan once stood for more than a box store or Wal-Mart saw.

Acres Internet is a good place to see what they once offered.

Hmmmm not sure why this didn't post earlier. My connection has been flakey lately.

I knew Poulan was a fine saw in it's day, but was mostly interested in just the last 10 years. (the one's currently all over craigslist) I've only worked on them just here lately for my nephew who has 2- 3314's... He likes them for some reason. I've even done some minor modifications on them for him which have improved the performance, but only time will tell on longevity... :msp_rolleyes:

I knew Poulan was a fine saw in it's day, but was mostly interested in just the last 10 years. (the one's currently all over craigslist) I've only worked on them just here lately for my nephew who has 2- 3314's... He likes them for some reason. I've even done some minor modifications on them for him which have improved the performance, but only time will tell on longevity... :msp_rolleyes:

The last of the better Poulan made saws, was probably the PP330 & 380. They are basically the same saw, 54cc, & 60cc. The 380 also uses a different carb. The green & black versions of these saws were the 3450 & 3750. Before they changed to the Poulan Pro name & colors. There was one other saw in that line, if you can get past the corny name and colors, LOL Was the Tim Allen "Bad Boy" edition.:D Its a 3750/380 in Wild thing colors. The only one I have, is a 380. It gets used quite a bit. Modded the muffler, she is a screamer. It is my light weight saw. Lighter than most of the older Poulans I normally use.

Super380.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

I forgot to mention in my post, that there is also the PP335 & 365 also. Little different design, but are good too! I couldn't tell what years they made all of these saws. My Super 380 is a 1997 model.

:cheers:
Gregg,

Latest posts

Back