Poulan Pro 4218 muffler mod difference

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I got a guy at work who brings me in a Wild Thing 4018 saw with the PTO side crank broken off and wanted to see about fixing it.

Long story short, the parts were going to eat into the worth of the fairly beat up saw so I found a deal on some PP4018 factory referbs for what I think was cheap.This makes more sense for the owner as now he has a new saw for just few dollars more.

I bought 3 of them as I always have guys looking for homeowner saws and I dont want to mess with finding and fixing up these types of saws.

Anyway I put one saw together and it started right up but of course needed the carb set some on it. Even set right it was kinda doggy and muffled up acting.

I decided to mod the muffler on the second one before I even started it up. I pulled the deflector and took a die grinder and a carbide burr to the slots in the muffler cutting into the outside end of the diffuser inside ( a real quick hack job) and then took some pliers and tried to bend the deflector out as far as I could.

Put it back on the saw, started it up and could tell the difference right off the bat. I set the carb to just right and put a tach on it. It was 4 stroking well and turned about 13300.

Not knowing what they were supposed to be turning I tached the stock saw and found that tuned about the same way it was turning 11850.

I was shocked to see about a 1500 RPM difference by just a 10 minute hack job on the muffler.

I had modded some of these little homeowner Poulans before and thought it was good mod but never had a stock saw beside them to compare to at the same time or bothered to tach one before and after.

I'm still surprised at the speed difference and just the overall better running of just the muffler mod and carb tuning. Let me say again as well that I love the splined carb screws on these Poulans and Huskys. With the correct driver this is the best working setup out there. So much eaiser to use then trying to hit the slots in the screws with a screwdriver.

Anyway, if I get time tomorrow I will try to put them both in the wood for a side by side comparison but I can tell you that I can already guess what the outcome will be and the other stock saw will get the hack job also.

Here are a couple pictures of the stock and modded mufflers.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

A lot of people discount these saws but for Joe-homeowner that needs to trim a tree or cut up some blow down branches, they really do fit the bill nicely without breaking the bank.

Nick

I looked over the IPL for the 4218 pretty carefully, and it looks like a nice design to me. A pretty straightforward evolution of the PP260, but with a strato engine, inboard clutch, built-in chain brake with a double pivot arm, etc. All the saws in the earlier non-strato version of that family also responded well to muffler mods, so I'm not surprised I guess. I'd be perfectly happy to run one of those - but without the quick adjust probably.

And I agree about the splined adjusters. The tool even fits my old Craftsman, which I did not expect.

I bought a 4218 from walmart this weekfor $75. I was wondering about muffler mods and adjusting the carb. I guess you answered both questions.

Thats a very good deal, you cannnot get hurt bad at that price.

I looked over the IPL for the 4218 pretty carefully, and it looks like a nice design to me. A pretty straightforward evolution of the PP260, but with a strato engine, inboard clutch, built-in chain brake with a double pivot arm, etc. All the saws in the earlier non-strato version of that family also responded well to muffler mods, so I'm not surprised I guess. I'd be perfectly happy to run one of those - but without the quick adjust probably.

And I agree about the splined adjusters. The tool even fits my old Craftsman, which I did not expect.

I have to say that this is really my first look at this strato saw and it really dont look too bad. I think the mufflers are choked up about as bad as any that I have seen before.

I just looked at my pictures again and boy did I do a horrible looking hack job on it. :hmm3grin2orange: The way there made though dont look to provide many other easy options.

As for the quick adjust, this is my first go around with them as well. Looks like a good idea but not so sure its built well enough. I am betting most problems with them are operator induced though.

It didn't look bad. From looking at the IPL it sure looks like the exhaust port and general muffler design/size is the same as the old WT - PP260 design. Couldn't you put an older muffler & shield on it? I'm doing another modified one now.

Yes I'm sure the older muffler would fit but like I said these are for resale and putting new mufflers on them is not a option cost wise. It is very quick to do what I done to them and it really dont matter what it looks like I guess as its hid under the deflector anyway.

Mark,
I've been moding those mufflers a little differently. I've been taking the tubes out (where the screws mount the muffler to the cylinder), taking a cut off wheel in a dremel tool, making some long slots (lengthwise not to weaken the clamping power of the tube), and putting them back together. I've also started cutting another slot over the second hole and widening it out like you have been making in other mufflers.

You can do this without removing the muffler at all.

Them are sharp looking saws!
What is it w/ the PTO side crank breaking? My dealer just finished a newer style (all purple strato) Wild Thing w/ the same problem.
Abuse?
Looking forward to the vid.
What cc are the the twins?

Mark,
I've been moding those mufflers a little differently. I've been taking the tubes out (where the screws mount the muffler to the cylinder), taking a cut off wheel in a dremel tool, making some long slots (lengthwise not to weaken the clamping power of the tube), and putting them back together. I've also started cutting another slot over the second hole and widening it out like you have been making in other mufflers.

You can do this without removing the muffler at all.

Randy I thought about the louvered slot but wanted to keep these stock looking.

Them are sharp looking saws!
What is it w/ the PTO side crank breaking? My dealer just finished a newer style (all purple strato) Wild Thing w/ the same problem.
Abuse?
Looking forward to the vid.
What cc are the the twins?

I have no idea what they done to break that crank. I'm sure it wasnt normal operations. The ones pictured are 42cc.

Chris came over today and we gave them both a comparison run. Night and day difference between the two. I was kinda surprised as they both needed the H screws turned out about 1/8 turn when brought out in the cold today as they had both been tuned in the warm shop. Not surprised to have to do it but surprised at how much.

We buried the 18" bars in some 16" green Oak that was pretty hard and the stock one struggled some and bogged some while the muffler modded one done lots better. It seemed to keep its rpms up much easier and the cut time was noticealby faster.

Neither were fast by any means though with there safety chains and such. :laugh:

The muffler modded one was respectable though and just a much better running saw all around. Throttle responce is much crisper, pulls much easier in the wood and its starts like a champ.

I promtly took them both back into the shop and modded the muffler on the stock one and it showed the same improvment.

We did do a video of them but I dont have time to upload them tonight.

Here's the muffler modded video. I had the camera rotated and had to flip the shot for Mark.

(I can verify the difference between the 2 saws in the cut. Night and day as Mark said.)

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m0UL7HKrf30" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Is that w/ the super skip, super safety, chain on?
Sounds good!
Thanks for the vid.

Yes, it is the lame factory chain.

When you see the stock saw video, it won't be hard to tell the difference--it keeps stalling in the cut.

Chris B.

That chain is a joke!!!!
No wonder why these saws get a bad name, slow feed rates w/ stock chain= extended time in cut+ poor maintenance = increased failures = bad rep.

I believe ya seems like thats all they do some times. (stock)
Might have something to do w/ the PTO side crank problems, and roasted clutches.

Mark, are you talking about 1/8 turn open from seated? Man that seems lean. How about the LO screw. I'm finding more of these type saws are way more than 1 open. I've seen some at almost two open.
Bob

Mark, are you talking about 1/8 turn open from seated? Man that seems lean. How about the LO screw. I'm finding more of these type saws are way more than 1 open. I've seen some at almost two open.
Bob

I think he was saying after he initially tuned them in the warm shop, he had to open them an additional 1/8 turn when he got them into the cold air and was cutting wood. I'm guessing from his description of them being initially lean plus my own experience with them that about 1 3/4 to 2 full rounds open is about right with a muffler mod.

Latest posts

Back