Poulan Pro gas cap problem?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmswilson1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
The saw (model: pp3516avx) has never had a problem with the gas cap but recently the thing is super tight but the threads look fine. It takes two people just to close it though. I've tried shooting wd-40 on it and it didnt help, Has anyone else ever had a problem like this?

I have the same problem. I wonder if they used a plastic the gas swells? Maybe the ethanol in the gas makes it worse.

My brother-in-law gave me a Poulan Pro 4218 with a gas cap like that, thought I never would get it off. I ended up filing/sanding down the OD of the threadded part, filing the threads thinner(filed on the bevel), then removed the sharp corners on the threads. Works fine now but then I was determined to 'fix' it. Probably would have been better to just buy another cap and replace it again when it swelled up..............

I notice it on all the cheap poulans with the gas cap like the wild thingys. Sorry man but they are JUNK!:cheers:

I have the same problem. I wonder if they used a plastic the gas swells? Maybe the ethanol in the gas makes it worse.

I think it is the cheap ethanol gas we are forced to use. I had a motorcycle that the diaphragms just gummed up. I had the same problem with a poulan saw, I'll admit they are cheap, but this one starts and runs good.

gas caps

I notice it on all the cheap poulans with the gas cap like the wild thingys. Sorry man but they are JUNK!:cheers:

Not to argue with this at all, but having just filed a Poulan gas cap down to get it to fit, and searching the web for solutions, there are complaints about this same issue with Stihls and Craftsman too.

take the cap off and let it sit on the bench for a day and it will be fine,, the gas/ethonol makes the caps swell

I threw away my caps and use the bungs out of whiskey barrels. No threads to worry about and it makes my exhaust smell sweeter.

I reseal with roofing cement with every fill up.

Once the dammm sealant didn't stick very well and I got an oil soaked leg. I was pi$$ed and now I use a different brand of saw.

Sam

I reseal with roofing cement with every fill up.

Once the dammm sealant didn't stick very well and I got an oil soaked leg. I was pi$$ed and now I use a different brand of saw.

Sam

Sorry, change of plans, I just checked, I actually forgot to reseal the hole with roofing cement, so now I'm not mad at the saw anymore, it was my fault for not sealing the hole properly with the cement. I will not change saw manufacturers now. It was my fault.

Sam

Mark is correct, the type of plastic used swells with prolonged exposure to the alchol in the ethanol gas you use, my dealer recommends you buy an extra when one starts becoming tight, put the new one in and set the old one on a shelf and the alchol will evaporate out and it will be fine, just rotate the two caps. No big deal.

After I tell my customers to trade it for a DOLMAR , I recommend they buy a second cap. Then swap out the swelled one with a dry one the day you are cutting wood . Leaving a swelled one on the bench for a couple of days fixes them. doug

Bought a Poulan PP4218AXV with very little usage, but the gas cap is brutally tight. Going to buy a new cap and use 100% gas for the mix, as it's still pretty easily available in E TN.

Latest posts

Back