Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have 37668 & 30202

The first number is for a PP295 and others like that. The second one is for the 3450 type saws and is still available from Poulan.

I need to talk to Wiggs, I know he said he made a Stihl boot work in place of the original smaller boot but don't remember which one it was.

Might have been a 044 and like I said, I got a 036 boot here that looked like it might work also. I think both of those are available aftermarket as well so that might be cost effective.

306a I got this at an auction yesterday for $15.00. Runs with mix down the carb. Looks like someone put new fuel lines on it so I'm going to clean the carb and see what happens! View attachment 399963View attachment 399964

Might need a kit while your in that carb. Nice find BTW.

Just so you know, get ready to tear it down to replace the foam seal between the tank/handle assy as there always deteriorated by now and need replaced. If you dont it will allow junk to come up from the bottom of the carb box defeating the air filter.

Might need a kit while your in that carb. Nice find BTW.

Just so you know, get ready to tear it down to replace the foam seal between the tank/handle assy as there always deteriorated by now and need replaced. If you dont it will allow junk to come up from the bottom of the carb box defeating the air filter.
Where Can a person come by that foam seal ?

Finally delivered yesterday. It sat in NJ sort facility for 5 days. When I opened it there was a note inside from USPS that "item was found loose in the mail or damaged by mechanical processing equipment " and appeared like it was completely repackaged. I little surprise was the 20" roller tip bar! (Oregon 67544015) The pictures on ebay were not that clear. Here's a couple picks before I do a good cleaning and see if she runs. Not sure what's going on with the muffler screw- will look at it better later. DSCF3413.JPG DSCF3414.JPG DSCF3415.JPG

Finally delivered yesterday. It sat in NJ sort facility for 5 days. When I opened it there was a note inside from USPS that "item was found loose in the mail or damaged by mechanical processing equipment " and appeared like it was completely repackaged. I little surprise was the 20" roller tip bar! (Oregon 67544015) The pictures on ebay were not that clear. Here's a couple picks before I do a good cleaning and see if she runs. Not sure what's going on with the muffler screw- will look at it better later. View attachment 400034 View attachment 400035 View attachment 400036

Nice find, same as a Poulan 401A.

Don't try to start it till you look it over good, pull the muffler make sure there is no old loose carbon to fall in the cyl etc. Check the fuel lines. If it was me I would just pull it down and put crank seals in it, check the ign, put fuel lines and a carb kit in it, then you know its good to go.

What is going on with the muffler is someone tapped it and replaced the small original screw that strips out easily with a 1/4" screw. That was a common fix that worked well. Put a allan head 1/4" bolt in it and it will look better as it will recess down in the hole on it.

Make one out of foam so it will block the opening. It doesn't need to do anything except block the opening.

Yes, Most any type foam material will work. Most folks I don't think realize that a foam strip is suppose to go in saws like the 4200/5200 also. At least the ones I have seen were long gone. When I rebuilt that last 5200 I got, I was going to try and find something like a sticky backed weather seal type foam stuff, but never did. I think I just cut a strip of foam material and stuffed it down there across the width of the saw. I have not seen it on the ground, so I presume it is still in there...LOL

Gregg,

Nice find, same as a Poulan 401A.

Don't try to start it till you look it over good, pull the muffler make sure there is no old loose carbon to fall in the cyl etc. Check the fuel lines. If it was me I would just pull it down and put crank seals in it, check the ign, put fuel lines and a carb kit in it, then you know its good to go.

What is going on with the muffler is someone tapped it and replaced the small original screw that strips out easily with a 1/4" screw. That was a common fix that worked well. Put a allan head 1/4" bolt in it and it will look better as it will recess down in the hole on it.

Thanks for the help! I have an old school local hardware store that has been "going out of business" for years that still has many varieties of nuts, bolts, screws and other related stuff in the wooden bins/drawers that I will have to revisit for a matching thread muffler screw. I just remembered that some of you guys were looking for Fillister screws, 10-24 and 12 -24's. If they have them I'll grab a bunch including various lengths. The last time I was there I did a complete restocking of all my screw drawers plus other stuff for almost nothing.

How hard is it to find the crank seals and other parts? That's a bit deeper than I have been in a saw and really do not want to break something and not find parts or not be able to get it back together. If I do really tear it down I will be taking pictures as I go so I at least know where stuff goes. Will the 361 IPL work for a general idea for parts and breakdown? I don't know how much changed between the 361 up through the 401A.

... Make that two mastercraft 54-5671's (3400) in my collection now.

Traded 2 craftsman micro clones, and a 34 cc mighty mite for it. Came with a pint of sugar home brew.!

Latest posts

Back