Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just three saws.

Poulan 8500 28" bar, Pro MAC 700 20 and 24" bar and an XL-76 20" bar. got a good deal on two 24" D009 mount Forester bars (Oregon Power Match clones) and am modifying the mount to duplicate a D096 mount. The adjuster holes have been enlarged to let bar oil in but I still need to get the oiler holes drilled out for some others they will go on..
Interesting to note that the steel in the Forester bars is harder than the steel on the Oregon Power Match bars.

I'm not sure if the HDA 49 carb was the one with troubles or not. I know there was one some guys had an issue with at times.
I have 49's on both the 285 and the 2800 and they both idle fine.

I'm still having issues with the carb on the 8500 so I swapped it out with the HS-168 that's on my 5200. It's not supposed to be on the 5200 so I suppose it was replaced at one point with the 168. Same as the HS-176 on the larger saws but no governor.
I think maybe my block off on the governor didn't work out. I'll fiddle around with it when I get back.

Did you use an aftermarket seal on the 3000 or a Poulan replacement?

Tim, tell everyone hi, Chris and I are right in the middle across the people's republik of Illinois on the way to Iowa.

I will Mark. Say hi the Chris for me and to Mark H. Have a good trip and GTG.

The weather looks good for us and for you guys as well. A welcome change and lucky for this time of year.

Some old saw guys coming to the NY GTG which will be great

On a totally unrelated and uninteresting note,
I just shaved most of my beard off. I have my Dad's old electric clippers he used to buzz cut our hair 60 years ago. I found a thing that looks like a corn head on a combine to go on the clippers in the box. Worked pretty good.
No one will recognize me.

Is this one of the last 2000 models? With the carb adjustment access through the cover?
a76107ea04fa637ef9962520ec071aef.jpg

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Since I'm old, retired and don't sleep much I've been in the garage fooling with this Poulan. I put a clean fuel line on the carb (1st picture) and could not blow through it. I watched a couple of videos on fuel line routing and think I may have the primer bulb plumbed backward. As it is now when I push the bulb gas comes out the line going to the carb ( far right in second picture). One diagram I saw online showed the primer pumping gas into the tank. If I have the primer lines reversed would that allow the engine to flood? The fuel lines on this bulb are the same size, some diagrams show a small and large line.
CannonView attachment 574280 View attachment 574281
Fuel from tank to carb, from carb to primmer, from primer return to tank. Fuel won't flow but one way in carb unless diaphragm is split the it will run out the diaphragm cover.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

Fuel from tank to carb, from carb to primmer, from primer return to tank. Fuel won't flow but one way in carb unless diaphragm is split the it will run out the diaphragm cover.

This morning I reversed the lines on the primer and filled the saw up with gas. I've cranked it 4 times today without any problems. I believe that was the problem. Thanks all.
Cannon

I have a friends 3700 I'm working on. It was just running not too long ago today. Then I put a new chain on and it refused to start, not even pop. Spark plug is dry. Fuel line looks good. Not sure what the second line is? It leads nowhere out of the tank and has a barb fitting on the inside. My IPL shows nothing.

Thats the tank vent, has a duck bill valve on the other side of the barbed fitting.

No duckbill in sight. There is a stiff black substance on the fuel filter though. Guess thats what is left? :D Can I just pop a duckbill right on the barb fitting and call it good? I have the carb apart now, looks like its somewhat filled with sawdust. I'll pop a new fuel filter on it since it doesnt seem to be doing very well at keeping the fuel clean. Maybe a gas package was blocked on the carb? No cracks in the fuel line. Though its quite stiff so I'll replace it while its apart.

Latest posts

Back