Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have an extra good condition 3400 clutch cover? The 3400 I just fixed up is good except the chain tension part of the cover is broken so I can't use it. Let me know, thanks!

Here is the said saw, nice shape after cleanup and replacing the fuel tank, clutch, fuel lines and muff mod!

IMG_4841.jpg

Anyone have an extra good condition 3400 clutch cover? The 3400 I just fixed up is good except the chain tension part of the cover is broken so I can't use it. Let me know, thanks!

Here is the said saw, nice shape after cleanup and replacing the fuel tank, clutch, fuel lines and muff mod!

View attachment 618685
I can check, Nate. It's hit or miss.

Yeah it was that way when I got this saw with some others. I think they are prone to breaking there if they are over torqued.

They break because someone did not line up the tensioner in the clutch cover with the hole in the bar and then they torqued it down breaking the magnesium. It is a common occurrence.

Did the Poulan 223 use the same PTO side clutch shaft thread size as the Poulan 361?

New guy is looking for a P361 clutch on the main forum & some 4 shoe clutches on fleabay “530010059” are described for a model 223 & looks like they would work.

Figured this out after taking a 223 & 361 apart.

The 530010059 4 shoe type clutches are for the early 200 series, as the 200s have the single thread shaft like the 306.

The larger 361 shaft has two threads on the PTO end, and the big thread on the inner side is too large to mount the 530010059 carrier.

I would guess that the 223/306 is 7/16” threads, just by looking. I know the 361 is 1/2”.

So those clutches on Fleabay won’t fit a 361!

Edit: I did notice something else to quickly determine the differences at a swap meet or going through your parts bin...& don’t have dial calipers.
If the carrier thread is threaded completely through, it’s a 223/306 size. If the carrier thread is only partially threaded & then clear bored a bit on the inside, it’s the 361.

Latest posts

Back