Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure how I could put Dirko on the PTO side seal and then install it. I had quite a time working it over the square edge of the shaft when it was almost in the bore already. I suppose if I did it again I would make some kind of tapered sleeve to slip over the shaft first. Why didn't I think of that yesterday?

Mrs. Heimann went to see her cousin today so I was free after church to spend a little time in the shop and finish putting it back together. The Loctite 290 did the trick on the seal leaks, I did notice the base gasket was also weeping some tiny bubbles so I put some Dirko on that and screwed it back together. Not sure how long Dirko is supposed to set up but I was impatient so once I got it all together I went a head and started it. If I work on many more Poulans I might be tempted to start dumping the McCulloch saws.

For Poge, the 4900 flywheel has an insert.

View attachment 640334

I had one casualty during this project, I broke the choke knob off. I may have to come up with some creative solution.

View attachment 640335

Searching around I found a decent bar to put on it for testing, actually a large frame McCulloch bar but the tensioner and the oiler line up and I had a spare "S" type adapter to account for the larger slot in the bar. Not a bad set up I suppose.

View attachment 640337

View attachment 640338

This saw does not appear to have had a lot of use.

View attachment 640339

Mark

The choke knobs are out there if you are so inclined. Ordertree has a NOS one. 530024762

Like this
0c94c2ca60f7af46c6e94c7f612bfed8.jpg

Steve

Put the ole 3400 on the back burner for a bit. Got a oHusky 240, I plan to give to my son, that is driving me to drink. Will idle but not will not rev up, no matter what I do. Hate strato saws.

I am not sure how I could put Dirko on the PTO side seal and then install it. I had quite a time working it over the square edge of the shaft when it was almost in the bore already. I suppose if I did it again I would make some kind of tapered sleeve to slip over the shaft first. Why didn't I think of that yesterday?

Mrs. Heimann went to see her cousin today so I was free after church to spend a little time in the shop and finish putting it back together. The Loctite 290 did the trick on the seal leaks, I did notice the base gasket was also weeping some tiny bubbles so I put some Dirko on that and screwed it back together. Not sure how long Dirko is supposed to set up but I was impatient so once I got it all together I went a head and started it. If I work on many more Poulans I might be tempted to start dumping the McCulloch saws.

For Poge, the 4900 flywheel has an insert.

View attachment 640334

I had one casualty during this project, I broke the choke knob off. I may have to come up with some creative solution.

View attachment 640335

Searching around I found a decent bar to put on it for testing, actually a large frame McCulloch bar but the tensioner and the oiler line up and I had a spare "S" type adapter to account for the larger slot in the bar. Not a bad set up I suppose.

View attachment 640337

View attachment 640338

This saw does not appear to have had a lot of use.

View attachment 640339

Mark

I was thinking that the 4900 might make you a winner in the under 5 cube class at Baraboo.

Got a oHusky 240, I plan to give to my son, that is driving me to drink. Will idle but not will not rev up, no matter what I do. Hate strato saws.

Pretty sure those use that nasty LP (low permeation) fuel line with the inner membrane that collapses and chokes off the fuel flow. Pull the fuel filter and see what you have. Could be the problem. Those carbs are a '2 turn out' carb, too (fwiw)...., pretty much like one of the cheesy plastic Poulans, just orange.

Attachments

• 235e Xtorq Carb Settings.pdf
    101.7 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Back