Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a chainsaw but is a Poulan. Picked this up with the Craftsman version 2400 yesterday. I think it will be a nice upgrade from using loppers to knock off over grown jaggers along the trails at camp. The cutter was rusted solid. A good soak in WD40 over night and a little persuasion broke them free. Defiantly not the sharpest but will do the job.

DSCN6164.JPG

Defiantly not the sharpest but will do the job.

Nice score. Those cutters can be sharpened fairly easily with a belt sander and some patience. A competent saw and/or mower shop would probably do them for 20 ~ 30 bux. You'd be amazed at the difference in cutting! Should be able to get 3 or 4 sharpenings worth of use out of em unless they get into something really nasty.

Nice score. Those cutters can be sharpened fairly easily with a belt sander and some patience. A competent saw and/or mower shop would probably do them for 20 ~ 30 bux. You'd be amazed at the difference in cutting! Should be able to get 3 or 4 sharpenings worth of use out of em unless they get into something really nasty.

They are the darn cutters that are riveted - no sharpening unless I drill or knock off the rivets with an angle grinder and replace with screws with nylon nuts. I'm using them at camp so no precision cutting just small branches and . Depending on who uses them and how much they drink I know they are gona get beat up eventually.

I'll try them out. If things start to bind I'll peen the rivets a bit lube way up and see what happens. If still no good will knock them apart and sharpen. The replacement blades are 40 bucks but can't see paying double on what I paid for the machine...

I have a good setup If I ever need it. A family from out of state was trying to clean out a house of a relative that had a small lawn service that passed. One of those estate sales that popped up on Craigs at the last minute that people dream off. One day and priced to sale.

This was my best deal last year / ever - Almost brand new Echo PAS 265 power head with an extension and articulating trimmer head for $20. I tried to be honest with them and tried to give them more money. They would not take it. Basically said they have one day to get everything gone so the can put the house up. There we 2 commercial Toro mowers that they had for $30 each. Passed on them did not know what they were worth. Should have grabbed one. I was there about an hour after it started and missed all of the guns. Some guy about 1/2 hour before me cleaned them out and grabbed 7 for 100 each. The Echo was covered in plastic on a top shelf in the garage or it probably would have been gone too.

88D09787-DCFA-495A-8870-0B953ECFF7E8.png C39D9B3A-9793-4B57-9F91-D097DB6C55A7.jpeg Hey guys. Picked my self up a 4200 over the weekend. Fairly complete I think. Top cover has a broken mount on the front and hand guard is smashed. I’m assuming that cover should be green aswell? Waiting on fuel line to get it going. But popped off no prob with a little mix in the carb. Blew 160 psi. Is that decent for these ? Someone also did a piss poor muff job on it lol.

View attachment 642372 View attachment 642373 Hey guys. Picked my self up a 4200 over the weekend. Fairly complete I think. Top cover has a broken mount on the front and hand guard is smashed. I’m assuming that cover should be green aswell? Waiting on fuel line to get it going. But popped off no prob with a little mix in the carb. Blew 160 psi. Is that decent for these ? Someone also did a piss poor muff job on it lol.

Yes bad ass saw , will surprise you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

160 should be great. I think mine is at 170. The cover should be green.

If one saw doesn't need a muffler mod, it's that one.
Ya i figured 160 was good after about the second pull cord rope I put on it. Haha. Factory muffler looks like it flowe great. Think I’ll either fill those ugly holes or look fir an un melested can.

Picture says it is all
9c9ff0ce769fcbd2e0811ff2f8c08862.jpg

View attachment 642372 View attachment 642373 Hey guys. Picked my self up a 4200 over the weekend. Fairly complete I think. Top cover has a broken mount on the front and hand guard is smashed. I’m assuming that cover should be green aswell? Waiting on fuel line to get it going. But popped off no prob with a little mix in the carb. Blew 160 psi. Is that decent for these ? Someone also did a piss poor muff job on it lol.

Did you verify it is a 4200? Could be bigger

They looked thick. I’ll pull the muff fir some pics

There's an ebay seller in your neck of the woods selling parts if you're needing any. He's got a 4200 cover but it has a couple of extra drilled holes in the top and a decent 5200 top cover.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/weka59?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

The 4200 cylinder is the only one with a divider in the exhaust port if you're looking.

Back