Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking for rings for a poulan 4000. They are unobtanium so i know im gonna have to cut rings for a larger bore down to fit. Anyone tell me what a good candidate is?

Have you called Otto rings in Maryland?

www.ringspacers.com

He does custom cast irons in standard OEM thicknesses, but not sure about thin steel piston rings.

Great guy to deal with!

That stinks. The two WP bearings probably did not fit correctly either (piston heated up & pressed in).

Knowing the track history & looking at his ads, the LRB 3700 & 4000 piston rings are standard 1/16” thick ones & not the special OEM thin rings. Won’t interchange. The two above model rings’ are not cast iron either, they’re steel.

Too bad Jerry didn’t catch those ten rings on eBay a few months back, I was glad to see that guys 530026003 ring stash.

The 530024756 thin rings for the 3700 will be obsoleted next, need to squirrel away a few pair of those too.
Had to stake bearings in, used to old bearing and wrist pin. The wrist pin was too small for the rod that came with the kit and of course the new bearing were too small for the old wrist pin. I should have sent it back but figured I could make it work. Would still running it if the piston had been plated. I sent them a message about it but got no response, so scr☆$# them. All I can to is warn other members, buyer be ware.

Steve

Had to stake bearings in, used to old bearing and wrist pin. The wrist pin was too small for the rod that came with the kit and of course the new bearing were too small for the old wrist pin. I should have sent it back but figured I could make it work. Would still running it if the piston had been plated. I sent them a message about it but got no response, so scr☆$# them. All I can to is warn other members, buyer be ware.

Steve
I forgot about the interference rod to WP fit, that is three strikes.

He tried for weeks to get me to send him (to borrow) a NOS Poulan 245 piston & ring set for him to clone in Taiwan, looks like he eventually did...as they are for sale too.

Negotiations completed. Traded four Echo tophandle carcasses for it.
ef2b6a237fe033ddfc83beab9f396ab5.jpg

Takes up lass space. [emoji6]

Head scratcher question on these 245s...
Does any one know why they drilled and tapped one of the 1/4"-20 oil tank screws all the way through and into the crank case?

Or was this possibly one of the "fixes" that my grandfather made through the years when the #12-24 hole stripped and he re-tapped it to 1/4"-20 -- he did this to the muffler screw holes.

I ended up slathering the threads on that screw with Permatex #2 instead of blue LocTite.

He was a machinist, so he didn't force the screw in - he would have tapped the hole. But yes, I've done the same -- 1/4-20 to 5/16-18, material permitting, it works like a charm.

So that hole is NOT supposed to go all the way into the crank case then?

If that's the case, he tapped out ALL of the tank screws to 1/4-20.

Take a picture with your phone. Use the edit feature to mark it up and post it.

I’ll look at this (so far) unmollested example and get back.
I'd love to, but the saw is fully assembled and I don't remember which screw hole it was. I also didn't take pictures while I was working on it. :(

Gave it ‘The Dip’.
e15fb8e196bac86561b31c307a1d6029.jpg

The foaming engine degreaser and warm water from the garden hose is the last of my three step process.
That Poulan restorer in a can works great. May have to try that stuff on my next one. Dad got some kind of foaming cleaner, wouldn't take fresh oil off.

Steve

Back