Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This.
I got a stich kit when I had to visit a doc in the box for a severe laceration. It ended up that I knew the nurse and he gave me two different sizes with supplies. Came in handy when I smashed my hand between my gravely mower handle and utility trailer. Sewed it up with three stitches and saved a lot of time and money. One bit of advice, sew it up IMMEDIATELY! The nerves will really flare up if you wait more than maybe 15 minutes. I wanted to go back and add a stitch after about 30 minutes and there was no way I could get the suture needle near the wound.
Looks like you took care of it right away with iodine. Glue the loose bits and saw another day . I stitch the bad ones myself!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sometimes a good scare is exactly what we all need to keep our heads on the ball with machines like this. I use a 5 inch and a 9 inch angle grinder all day and yea im pritty dam good with it but after a while ya can forget that it will smoke you if your stupid and give it a chance. Here was the last "hey you watch it sonny" moment. So Thank you Todd we all needed a lesson and your ok so all is well:)20181019_063438.jpg

This.
I got a stich kit when I had to visit a doc in the box for a severe laceration. It ended up that I knew the nurse and he gave me two different sizes with supplies. Came in handy when I smashed my hand between my gravely mower handle and utility trailer. Sewed it up with three stitches and saved a lot of time and money. One bit of advice, sew it up IMMEDIATELY! The nerves will really flare up if you wait more than maybe 15 minutes. I wanted to go back and add a stitch after about 30 minutes and there was no way I could get the suture needle near the wound.

Your a keen man stitching yourself up. Would be good to get it done fast though by the time it gets good and sore its all done. As aposed to waiting for ages at the hospital.

Steves glue trick works well too have used that a few times myself. My aunt is a nurse and she showed us that one so its legit haha

I've tried the glue and it worked OK but I had to reapply it twice a day.
I'm no he-man by stitching myself up. The newly separated skin seems to go into shock or something becuase there was little pain doing the sutures. After a half hour wait it was a different story. Just bringing the needle close seems to cause pain. Must be a mental thing [emoji16].
Paying for an emergency clinic and waiting four hours hurt much worse iykwim.

Far out we have ACC here so basically a government insurance system so everything you buy has an ACC leavy. Its 30 bux for a GP visit and thats it if you want it faster you gota go private and yea hope your insurance covers it. Most people have no insurance at all or just income protection. Also if you do say cut open your leg with a saw acc pays for all costs including fuel to the hospital all rehabilitation costs and... 80 percent of your wage untle your back at work and aswell they will pay to retrain you if you cant continue your old job due to your injury. So its kinda free but not but its there and life is good dont need to worry bout some nasty insurance company

So if you have no insurance and you get cleaned up by a bus and live do you wind up with a bill or would there insurance cover if it was the drivers fault? Im very curious how this all works.

Love the edit button. forced into what?

Paying for insurance with outrageous prices. Used to be afforded and deductions weren't too bad. Prices are high, everything done is over priced. Some people can't afford it, don't make enough money for it. If you don't have coverage, the government fines you. If you get hit by a bus and live, the driver only has the bare minimum auto insurance, you're screwed.
Welcome to America, home of the broke and decrypted.
Steve

I second that been there enjoyed every minute that I was there except for the last minute when I had to leave. My dad helped me build a go kart with a 3hp motor, a friend that was a few years older found a chainsaw to use for his, I wish I could remember more about it. It was silver and a round external fuel tank and a 2 person. My dad said it was to big . We left before he was finished with it. Wish I new more. It sounded good but what does a 12 year old know. Thanks for the memories New Zealand

I second that been there enjoyed every minute that I was there except for the last minute when I had to leave. My dad helped me build a go kart with a 3hp motor, a friend that was a few years older found a chainsaw to use for his, I wish I could remember more about it. It was silver and a round external fuel tank and a 2 person. My dad said it was to big . We left before he was finished with it. Wish I new more. It sounded good but what does a 12 year old know. Thanks for the memories New Zealand

Thats a really cool message there. Awesome what great memories wonder what that saw was. The old briggs drag kids round pritty good on all manner of contraptions chuf chuf chuffing away happy as and happy kids too.

Hey guys, I hope everyone is well. In regards to self treating for lacerations and such, I and others would be interested in learning what you have in your "go to bag/kit": sutures, meds, anti-biotic creams/salves, bandages, saline, IV's, glues, chemical ice-packs, etcetera? Where do you purchase your supplies: Amazon, drug store, Cheaper Than Dirt/online companies? Also, what "training" do you have: military, basic FA/CPR/AED, First Responder/EMT?

I have some training, basic and advanced, and also carry with me the basics daily and when cutting at Mom and Dad's or working in my garage. It's all about preparedness right? So, call it out: what do you recommend?

Lastly Todd, I hope you're doing well. The last time I had a cut it took six stitches. I rinsed it off and was preparing to glue it when my Daughters saw it and had conniptions. So, off to the Doctor's I went. Easier to keep the peace. Thanks for sharing, and have a great rest of the week. Max.

Back