Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 685525

Bored. So dug into the green 4000. Quick bath threw the parts washer and she’s ready for assembly again. The plastic manifold was barely attached to the cylinder, one bolt backed all the way out and the other not far behind it. Looks like someone tried siliconong it to the cylinder. Is there a paper gasket that goes here? And I guess carb to manifold gets a gasket as well?

Thx
If it were me, I'd pull that cylinder off before installing the intake manifold. Goes on much, much easier. There is a gasket between the cylinder and manifold. I also use a very thin layer of Dirko being sure not to block the impulse hole.

Has anyone ever run across a brass plug in place of a governor in a HS 176 carb?
74263f4258771f74620af6702c8f2fc1.jpg
41bba5ca70c7f7700376d050aeff2fc9.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

I'll take a look at my 5400 tomorrow and get back to you
Can someone tell me what this gov does and how it works, I know where it is on the carb but I don't know anything about it. Is it a good thing or a bad thing. Any help gets a thanks

Can someone tell me what this gov does and how it works, I know where it is on the carb but I don't know anything about it. Is it a good thing or a bad thing. Any help gets a thanks
Have a look in the pioneer thread. We just covered this yesterday. I was curious aswell.

Was common to blockoff the governor on the carb. I simply did it by removing the plug and inserting a piece of something eg. pie plate material, into the opening and replacing the plug. Made it easier to tune. Not all carbs were governed. there were two carbs available(forgot #), one was governed and the other wasn't.

Interestingly enough this carb is off a 4200 which was supposed to have the un governed 168 buy I got it with the 172

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

She's a runner:) dont come down here n smack me though i used the old crank seals.... There ok so far its running very well.

Good job, you saved that one from the scrap pile.

So what was the final crankshaft end play that you ended up with, assuming you had to adjust the bearings inward? Metric unit of measure is fine, lol.

Did you use thin plastic sheets on each side to set it?

Latest posts

Back