Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Help help I have. 018 side to side play on my 4200 with new bearings, what is the good and the bad numbers. What do I do to shim it if needed. Thanks

You’re fine right there. I measured a good carcass with calipers (crudely) and had 0.022” to 0.024” end play. The PTO side is a lot closer than the FW side on this one, when pried over that direction.

The only place you could add brass shims would be inside the bearing pockets, before you seat the bearings. Almost a trial & error type fit, as you’d need to put the bearings in, measure, then take them out to add shims, then put them back in again. I’ve never had to do that.

If you really wanted to decrease one, and have the bearings fully seated in their bores, you could pull the alignment pins & Blanchard grind the case halves...note the crankcase gasket provides a seal to the oil tank, so I would not mess with it.

The estimated 1.5” crank throws width grows less than 0.005 ” if you calculate the expansion from 50 to 350F...and yes that ignores the case expanding too.

49500B8A-7EE9-4AC5-8EA2-910A8A48AB74.jpeg

Thanks for the info and it's go to know, I'll do some thinking, sometimes not a good thing with me, and make a decision what to do. If I do anything it will be brass shim between the case and bearing, easy for me to make. How hot do you have to get the case, just drop the bearing in or tap

Got a little laugh just now. Stihl guy dropping off 2 saws 026 441.

Holy heck are the mtronic 441 known hard starters? I pulled and pulled and pulled and pulled and pulled and pulled. Jeez freaking whiz if my poulan acted like this I would be pizzed. I showed the guy my 70.7cc poulan on the bench and it fired off 1st dang pull. crazy right and hadnt been started for a week maybe. Dropped off PHO

Thanks for the info and it's go to know, I'll do some thinking, sometimes not a good thing with me, and make a decision what to do. If I do anything it will be brass shim between the case and bearing, easy for me to make. How hot do you have to get the case, just drop the bearing in or tap

I run them up to 250F in the oven for 10 minutes, the bearings will fall out & the paint still remains on. Work fast & wear gloves, that thumb may need to fully heal up first, lol.

Preheat the oven!, to avoid an overshoot spike.

Or use a heat gun...actually faster & easier.

Put a couple of tanks through the 4000 today this thing is a lovely saw heaps of poke for its size mite be time for a new clutch perhaps maybe. Yea porky compared to todays stuff but that doesn't bother me diddly s**t I have a plastic husky if I need a toy saw lol.

Any way here's a little video it's not big wood but its wood.

It is very green by now its going brown usually but we've had rain for the last month on and off its been a shocking start to summer really.

I had to convert 25f to C and yea dam that's chilly for sure -3c on a really frosty morning here it mite be -5 and get up to 3 or 4 degrees if a fog rolls in it mite stay around 0 all day. A couple hours further south into central otago or into the makenzie country it can get really cold -15c and stay below zero all day. The coldest ever in NZ is -25. Rather warm compared to where some of you guys live no doubt though Screenshot_20181209-201336_Samsung Internet.jpg

Back