Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well.... I just got in. The better half went out to her dads tonight so I went for a drive, and something followed me home. Compression was at around 135, spark present, feels nice. Also claimed it had a leaky gas cap. He said he thinks it needs a carb job. It ran when he picked it up from his brother in law, then he tried to start it and it did not go. Can't complain for what I picked it up for. Hopegfully it won't be much, but a nice fun little project.
p331410.jpg

And I just realized it does not have the air filter. That should not be a big deal. I hope....

And I just realized it does not have the air filter. That should not be a big deal. I hope....
The filter and filter cover are very common. Many Poulan saws use the same parts. I believe you can go all the way to a 4018 using the same filter and cover. Likely both can be had for less than $10 from a parts source like Ereplacement parts or Parts Tree. I'd also look on Ebay.

Well.... I just got in. The better half went out to her dads tonight so I went for a drive, and something followed me home. Compression was at around 135, spark present, feels nice. Also claimed it had a leaky gas cap. He said he thinks it needs a carb job. It ran when he picked it up from his brother in law, then he tried to start it and it did not go. Can't complain for what I picked it up for. Hopegfully it won't be much, but a nice fun little project.
p331410.jpg
That's the same saw that I have, only mine is called the PP3516 (not the AVX model) and wears black and yellow. They actually have 42cc power plants. People knock them but they really are decent saws.

Mine is 13 years old and despite the abuse it's seen refuses to die. It still pulls 125psi. If yours is set up for the stupid Intenz bar, get the proper clutch cover mounted bar adjustment kit (under $10). The Intenz junk forces you to over tighten the bar nuts and you start pulling the front stud through the plastic frame (ask me how I know).

Is it missing the air filter (felt pad) or is it missing the whole filter assembly (plastic frame that attaches to the carb and holds the filter)? Either way, they are all over eBay, cheap.

Get yourself a pair of vibration dampening gloves. These have no AV, and while they won't shake your fillings lose, they do leave you with a tingle in your hands after you run them all day.

I have to say it is missing both the filter and cover assembly. I have to ask, what is the Intenz bar?

Guy that bought that 1 owner 505 was wanting a full wrap. I knew where one was outside the US. So getting it shipped in so one of us can use it.
I might put it on a project saw. But If I dont it is going to the guy that got the 505.
He knows where one was too and following up on that lead. I hope it works out for him. Then I for sure will keep this one for one of my saws.

pfullwrap.jpg p415m.jpg

Well, I just got back in from a little time with my new to me Poulan 3314 that I bought yesterday. Looked in the tank and there was a little bit of fuel in it so did not add anymore fuel, but did add some SeaFoam. Tried pulling it over with no avail using choke or throttle. Seemed rather hard to pull. So as the top cover was off, my dad gave it a shot of gas in the carburetor. Pulled again with still no firing or even a hint of it, but it still seemed to pull hard. Pulled the plug and it was pretty wet. So with the plug out, pulled the recoil over a few times and it was easier to pull. Dad did what he likes to do best, and something I would not normally do, he held a torch to the empty plug hole as I pulled. Was there ever some flame action there. Many big puffs, and balls of fire. After it stopped doing that, I re-inserted the dried off plug back in the hole and gave it a couple pulls and it was firing. On about the 5th or 6th pull my dad held down the throttle and she fired up and ran. It was very smoky, and I think there was still a bunch of fuel burning off. As it ran in under throttle the smoke slowly gave way. I thought that the person I bought it from may have played with the carburetor adjustments but when I went to adjust it, they had the funny looking adjusting screws. So that idea went out the window. The only one I can adjust is the idle speed. I started to adjust it then it ran out of gas. So when it is a bit nicer out with daylight and not stars, we will add some gas and try adjusting the idle speed as when I had it running without throttle, the chain was rotating very freely and at a decent speed. When I have a chance to play with it some more, I will update this. I am off to see if I can find the type of screwdriver needed to adjust anyways as it will probably be needed someday.

Thank you. I just ordered the 21 spline screwdriver a few minutes ago. I may just invest in the kit yet.

I've only used the splined one myself, if it takes something else, then it might be an MTD product which I won't touch unless helping someone chunk it into a scrap pile. I even hate working on my son inlaw's MTD Cub Cadet. He told me he figured out why his dad gave it to him and got a z-turn Kabota. He told me he'll get a big Husqvarna like me when it dies. He's getting tired of spending money on it. If it's one thing, it another.

Steve

Guy that bought that 1 owner 505 was wanting a full wrap. I knew where one was outside the US. So getting it shipped in so one of us can use it.
I might put it on a project saw. But If I dont it is going to the guy that got the 505.
He knows where one was too and following up on that lead. I hope it works out for him. Then I for sure will keep this one for one of my saws.

View attachment 691773 View attachment 691774
Never saw a full wrap on one of those, that would be something to see.

Steve

Well the 5200 and block are sold again 543.00 and 74.00 . Wonder if they will stay sold this time. They didn’t go my way either one of them. Still waiting for the 4000 to be sold for 400.00, not mine, think it's a little high

Latest posts

Back