Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes Sir, from 1st assembly and it was stuck fast in the feed hole of the circuit plate. I found & added a close up pic of it, in the previous posting.

Good news on the lack of ethanol, we are just the opposite. Have to look for the non-corn gas at the big pump centers too.

Carb kits are cheapest here from Fleabay. Takes a Walbro #K10-HDB. About $8 USD delivered.

Thank you. Haha corn gas I forgot it came from that. We should be eating it instead

Hey guys, good afternoon. I hope everyone is well. As you know, I love Poulan 4000's. I picked this up within one hour of being posted locally here in Richmond from a nice younger fellow at a gas station. Its what I think is an original 4000 bow saw, sans bow. It has all the right parts, and the decal on how to cut with a bow bar. It came with a 24 inch bar which is fairly nice and has an OEM spike found from my experience on non-bow saws. Thoughts on this? I think that someone simply replaced the bow with a bar and spike and used it in that fashion.

Anyway, I've named the saw "Quicksand". It was dirty as could be with the goopiest material and it took FOREVER to clean. I love the saw and it runs well after new lines and refreshing the carb. I also replaced the ignition switch with a good spare, a new spark plug, oh, and kept cleaning. My Mom and Dad were visiting and Dad MAY have dropped the saw in my garage on a rug. That's when I noticed the broken right side rear handle. I never said a word to him, he's my Dad, but I'm on the hunt for a really nice replacement. I cleaned some more and when I fired it up it ran great. However, the oiler is not working. So I'll have to dig into that and see what can be done. Quicksand is a reference to a project never being done, and from the cleaning, maintenance, love and effort, this 4000 has been fun but indeed challenging. The handle is what it is, but if anyone knows were I can get a really nice on please let me know. Also, any reasonable bow blades out there?

I hope this doesn't sound negative as it's been fun, and if it were easy everyone would collect and run saws like we do. But good grief, in a good way, LOL! Have a great and safe week and take care. Max.20190121_133221.jpeg 20190121_133244.jpeg

Attachments

• 20190121_133310.jpeg
    20190121_133310.jpeg
    891.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20190121_133319.jpeg
    20190121_133319.jpeg
    951.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 20190121_133340.jpeg
    20190121_133340.jpeg
    842.3 KB · Views: 28
If you want you can fill the inside after a good cleaning with j b weld and wipe off any extra. It is a easy fix and quite strong, I have had to do it 2 times on fixer uppers that were cracked. Ruff up the inside good and the edge of the part.

Hey guys, good afternoon. I hope everyone is well. As you know, I love Poulan 4000's. I picked this up within one hour of being posted locally here in Richmond from a nice younger fellow at a gas station. Its what I think is an original 4000 bow saw, sans bow. It has all the right parts, and the decal on how to cut with a bow bar. It came with a 24 inch bar which is fairly nice and has an OEM spike found from my experience on non-bow saws. Thoughts on this? I think that someone simply replaced the bow with a bar and spike and used it in that fashion.

Anyway, I've named the saw "Quicksand". It was dirty as could be with the goopiest material and it took FOREVER to clean. I love the saw and it runs well after new lines and refreshing the carb. I also replaced the ignition switch with a good spare, a new spark plug, oh, and kept cleaning. My Mom and Dad were visiting and Dad MAY have dropped the saw in my garage on a rug. That's when I noticed the broken right side rear handle. I never said a word to him, he's my Dad, but I'm on the hunt for a really nice replacement. I cleaned some more and when I fired it up it ran great. However, the oiler is not working. So I'll have to dig into that and see what can be done. Quicksand is a reference to a project never being done, and from the cleaning, maintenance, love and effort, this 4000 has been fun but indeed challenging. The handle is what it is, but if anyone knows were I can get a really nice on please let me know. Also, any reasonable bow blades out there?

I hope this doesn't sound negative as it's been fun, and if it were easy everyone would collect and run saws like we do. But good grief, in a good way, LOL! Have a great and safe week and take care. Max.View attachment 698366 View attachment 698367

Incredible find, with the sticker still intact, very beautiful saw. R u looking for a bow for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's looks super nice Max, good find.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I appreciate it. I purely got lucky with this one. I did forget to add that the saw has the largest bar guides I've ever seen. They're Poulan to be sure, and have to be for the bow blade. They're really sweet. Max.

If you want you can fill the inside after a good cleaning with j b weld and wipe off any extra. It is a easy fix and quite strong, I have had to do it 2 times on fixer uppers that were cracked. Ruff up the inside good and the edge of the part.

Thanks, Todd. If I can't find a good replacement I'll go the JB Weld route. Been a long time since I used JBW, but I agree that it should be able to do the job. Best, Max.

Incredible find, with the sticker still intact, very beautiful saw. R u looking for a bow for it?

Hey Stephen, thanks for the kind words. Yes, I'd consider a bow blade for the 4000. It almost seems right to outfit it correctly. First hand guard sticker I'd ever seen for a bow saw. Stay warm up North and take care. Max.

New to this thread and haven’t really posted a lot on the AS. But I’m trying to figure out solving way to go. I picked up a 4200 two weeks ago and have been going though it and replacing parts that need replaced. I bought some NOS antivibe buffers and started cleaning out the mounts on the gas tank handle and noticed that the front holes on the tank are well ovaled. Somebody really cranked on this thing from what I can figure. So my question I’m getting at would be do I source a new tank? Or do I put jb weld on the threads of the new buffers and screw them in to what meat is left on the threads?

I’m Jake from a little town south of Knoxville Tn called Ten Mile. Very quite here and I’ve been around saws for my life. Not quite as experienced as some of y’all but I tinker I shall say.

Latest posts

Back