Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New to this thread and haven’t really posted a lot on the AS. But I’m trying to figure out solving way to go. I picked up a 4200 two weeks ago and have been going though it and replacing parts that need replaced. I bought some NOS antivibe buffers and started cleaning out the mounts on the gas tank handle and noticed that the front holes on the tank are well ovaled. Somebody really cranked on this thing from what I can figure. So my question I’m getting at would be do I source a new tank? Or do I put jb weld on the threads of the new buffers and screw them in to what meat is left on the threads?

I’m Jake from a little town south of Knoxville Tn called Ten Mile. Very quite here and I’ve been around saws for my life. Not quite as experienced as some of y’all but I tinker I shall say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Jake, welcome to the Poulan Thread. Are you down towards Blue Springs on Watts Bar Lake? I spent time down there in the 1980's at Blue Springs Marina while living in Knoxville, and you're correct its both quiet and beautiful down there. Others with more experience will chime in on your question, but you've come to the right place. Welcome, and take care. Max.

Hey Jake, welcome to the Poulan Thread. Are you down towards Blue Springs on Watts Bar Lake? I spent time down there in the 1980's at Blue Springs Marina while living in Knoxville, and you're correct its both quiet and beautiful down there. Others with more experience will chime in on your question, but you've come to the right place. Welcome, and take care. Max.

Sure am Max. My wife worked at the marina while in college. I grew up here and we’ve never really thought about moving off. And thanks for the hospitality.

New to this thread and haven’t really posted a lot on the AS. But I’m trying to figure out solving way to go. I picked up a 4200 two weeks ago and have been going though it and replacing parts that need replaced. I bought some NOS antivibe buffers and started cleaning out the mounts on the gas tank handle and noticed that the front holes on the tank are well ovaled. Somebody really cranked on this thing from what I can figure. So my question I’m getting at would be do I source a new tank? Or do I put jb weld on the threads of the new buffers and screw them in to what meat is left on the threads?

I’m Jake from a little town south of Knoxville Tn called Ten Mile. Very quite here and I’ve been around saws for my life. Not quite as experienced as some of y’all but I tinker I shall say.

Welcome aboard, have you tried to re tap them? Sometimes if they are not to bad you can clean them up. Sourcing a new tank would probably be my last option

Welcome aboard, have you tried to re tap them? Sometimes if they are not to bad you can clean them up. Sourcing a new tank would probably be my last option

I haven’t tried to re tap them yet. I ordered the buffers you gave the part number for and I’m just waiting on them to get here they should be here tomorrow I think. It’s I’m not sure it the holes are to “wallowed” out yet or not. I will definitely try that the next time work on it.

Welcome aboard Jake, hope you can get them straightened out, tank assembly is hard to come by. I had to buy a parts saw to get the tank, wasn't cheap.

Steve

Ya I had one on fleabay I was watching for a parts saw that I wish I would’ve just went ahead and bought. Figured I’d ask some of y’all if anyone ya had the same issue and how you corrected it.

Thanks, Todd. If I can't find a good replacement I'll go the JB Weld route. Been a long time since I used JBW, but I agree that it sho complete handle on Ebay
Sounds like everyone having surgery lately, hope you're doing well Max.

Steve
OH yea, its very trendy. Guess I'd try fixing it. I think I have a couple left side halves but not sure of color . Unless repainted would look like crap. Ebay does have some complete handles.

Will be measuring bore later to make sure it is a NOS poulan 8500 cylinder bore.

Is spoke for by several folks already so will start at the top. Pretty sure #1 said mark SOLD ;)

View attachment 698589 View attachment 698590 View attachment 698591 View attachment 698592 View attachment 698593 View attachment 698594 View attachment 698595 View attachment 698596

Hey Jeremiah. Nice NOS 8500 cylinder! Question: is the decal on the cylinder when it was manufactured? Sweet! Max.

Back