Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me tell you a story, wife and I took the horses in mid February to a place that we can ride inside . Yes I have a horse named Fudge he is a very nice horse. After riding I was talking to a guy who was also riding and he asked if I was having a good time my answer was not so much. He said what would you be doing if you weren't here and I replied working on my chainsaws, he asked if that is what I do and I told him I like to find old ones and fix them . What kind do you have he asked , green ones because I didn't think he knew what a Poulan was. He told me his brother used to do a lot of sawing before he passed on many years ago. Told me to come over and see him because he had a couple of old saws that had been left in his shed by his brother . So the next day I went to see him and we went to see the saws. Over in the corner covered with a old rug was the saws he pulled the cover off and there was 3 saws so dirty that it was hard to tell what I was looking at but my heart was pounding. I asked him if and what he wanted for them but he didn't know so I made a offer and it was ok by him . Got the saws home and started working on them, did I say they were dirty grimy. I have all 3 running now and they are runners the effort was worth it number 1 was a 5200 with a full wrap handle and 30 inch bar . Number 2 is a 5400 with a 24 inch bar and number 3 is the one that blue my mind it is a 5400 with a big bore kit, 2.1 bore and 88 cc with a 24 inch bar, this one took the most to get going, had been straight gased just a little bit. It's another story for later .20190321_181145-1600x900.jpg

Great score!!! That pretty much deserves a You Suck! :)

Someone is going to have to tell me about a big bore on a 5400. Is that a hybrid? P/C from another saw brand? Bored replated cylinder with a larger piston?
That's a passes a "You Suck".

Steve

Go back to page 1110 and read about them you have to read about to 1115 to get the full story. There was a outfit that was making this kit by boring out a cylinder to 2.100 and plating them. Only 2 that are out there as far as I can tell. I'll do a story about it later this weekend

I been getting asl about my 54cc 60cc project and parts.

Guess somebody else is going to finish up the c 3.7 60cc with oem 24" bar now. It is sold. :cool:

I just couldnt get motivated to make time for another one of these.
Feel like I could do them blindfolded or in my sleep anymore.

DSCF1824.JPG DSCF1826.JPG DSCF1834.JPG DSCF1830.JPG DSCF1838.JPG DSCF1836.JPG c37c.jpg

Let me tell you a story, wife and I took the horses in mid February to a place that we can ride inside . Yes I have a horse named Fudge he is a very nice horse. After riding I was talking to a guy who was also riding and he asked if I was having a good time my answer was not so much. He said what would you be doing if you weren't here and I replied working on my chainsaws, he asked if that is what I do and I told him I like to find old ones and fix them . What kind do you have he asked , green ones because I didn't think he knew what a Poulan was. He told me his brother used to do a lot of sawing before he passed on many years ago. Told me to come over and see him because he had a couple of old saws that had been left in his shed by his brother . So the next day I went to see him and we went to see the saws. Over in the corner covered with a old rug was the saws he pulled the cover off and there was 3 saws so dirty that it was hard to tell what I was looking at but my heart was pounding. I asked him if and what he wanted for them but he didn't know so I made a offer and it was ok by him . Got the saws home and started working on them, did I say they were dirty grimy. I have all 3 running now and they are runners the effort was worth it number 1 was a 5200 with a full wrap handle and 30 inch bar . Number 2 is a 5400 with a 24 inch bar and number 3 is the one that blue my mind it is a 5400 with a big bore kit, 2.1 bore and 88 cc with a 24 inch bar, this one took the most to get going, had been straight gased just a little bit. It's another story for later .View attachment 724882

Right guy finally found him some saws. Full wrap too.

Everything happens for a reason. Firm believer in this. WTG!

How to fix a Big Bore 5400
First I could not have done this without the help of Fossil, Tim was a major help.
When I took the 5400 apart this is what the piston looked like
I was going to get a piston and after finding out what size it was I reached out to Fossil because he is the one that always has the old hard to find information. Tim sent me a link to the information at page 1110 and told me that he had fixed worse pistons than mine. So I got to work with my files and took the high spots off and used a buff pad to finish it. The cylinder wasn't very bad and Tim sent a utube link on how to get the aluminum out, easy to do . The rings were the hard part but I found some in England at a scooter repair place 53.2mm. They were for a 125cc Lambretta scooter 6th oversize. When they arrived I had to make a fixture to cut the height down by. 015 thou. It worked by holding the ring so I could face it off. After they were done I gaped them and put it all back together. And as they say the rest is history .the picturesare in reverse order 20190323_185238-1280x720.jpg 20190323_185348-1280x720.jpg 20190222_124900-800x450.jpg 20190223_104225-1280x720.jpg
20190222_124755-800x450.jpg

Back