Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I had talent to do stuff like that, instead I got stuck turning wrenches and working on automobile electronics. Even got called by the dealership this a.m. for a programming issue they were having on a new truck. Had to walk them them through on how to fix the issue. I've always like watching folks take a piece of metal and turning it into something unique, like your ring filing fixture.

Steve

The only thing I know about electronic components is shocking. Always wished I could do what you do. If you think I'm good you should have seen my father, he and I worked together for about 5 years at the same place and he could out think me by 10 times. I was making the parts for the machines he dreamed up. When you eat a tater tot he designed the machines that make them

First time I actually had the 245 out. No matter what I did with carb adjustments could not make cut - instabog as soon as it hit wood. Even for idle 1 turn out was not even close to what it needed. When I first got it I had it running with in 15 minutes and thought I got lucky with not rebuilding the carb and doing the lines and emptied it and threw it on the shelf. I knew better and thought wrong.... It's been a while since looked at all the info on the 245.

Tillotson HS - is that the right carb kit?

Jeeze man that's awesome bet it really rips

It's just such a good power to weight/size ratio...its hard not to like it.

More than one person has chuckled at the old saw when I get it out...and many folks believe Poulan saws to have a bad reputation. But the 'Old' Poulans were very good saws for their time.

The 4000 not being a 'pro' model cuts pretty well even in stock form. This one has been worked over a bit and I can tell you.... all the 'laughing' stops when the cutting begins.

Most folks (that know saws) can't help but give it a second look at start up and when it is idling. It sounds healthier than its small size would suggest.

Yea I'll say. I saw one he had years n years ago he couldn't really remember what he had done to it I hit him up when mine was In bits but Todd screwed my head back on and I left the jug alone. I deleted the base gasket stock ring gap (starter friendly) smoothed up the carb adapter and a fly sh!t of advance just a hair literally before getting warnings about that too and man it's a ripper did the proper 4000 exhaust outlet too cos the Canadian version doesn't have it. Really nice easy saw to work on and yea it's not a pro saw but to me the only thing its missing is an adjustable oiler otherwise its built very much like a pro saw.

Question for ya'll a husky 346 is a small pro saw so in 1983 a poulan guy who had some big pro saws wanted a smaller lighter saw what did he buy? Was a big bore 3400 not it? And forgive me if this is a dumb question I'm very very green in the green world. I know JJ likes those partner/jred/poulan things but they were a bit later on weren't they?

It's just such a good power to weight/size ratio...its hard not to like it.

More than one person has chuckled at the old saw when I get it out...and many folks believe Poulan saws to have a bad reputation. But the 'Old' Poulans were very good saws for their time.

The 4000 not being a 'pro' model cuts pretty well even in stock form. This one has been worked over a bit and I can tell you.... all the 'laughing' stops when the cutting begins.

Most folks (that know saws) can't help but give it a second look at start up and when it is idling. It sounds healthier than its small size would suggest.

Beautiful example! I love a 4000! They sit there and idle like a Harley or a small block Chevy just waiting to be run. I've also witnessed the "laughing stops when the tailgate drops" and the 4000 comes out. Great saws then, and especially now. Nice saw! Max.

Back