Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok guys need your help I was doing the usual after run clean and sharpon and this is under my air filter:(View attachment 730522what's the usual cause? My filter is in perfect nick and seems to seal up nicely.

Or is this normal through the 4000 mesh style filter? Surely not I don't want to roach this thing

Heres the filter still dirty on the insideView attachment 730523I had to chew some off my finger and it's very very fine like flour. Brother in law was running it and yeah after after going over the chain about 5 teath on one side had hit something for sure now I did give it a file during its 3 tanks worth so it wasn't ran like that for long

That doesn't look normal to me. Check and make sure it's sealing at the butyl(?) gasket under the filter. Those fines shouldn't be coming through that mesh. I have a number of saws with that type of material and they seem to keep everything out. The Poulans of that series weren't known for their filtration.

Ok guys need your help I was doing the usual after run clean and sharpon and this is under my air filter:(View attachment 730522what's the usual cause? My filter is in perfect nick and seems to seal up nicely.

Or is this normal through the 4000 mesh style filter? Surely not I don't want to roach this thing

Heres the filter still dirty on the insideView attachment 730523I had to chew some off my finger and it's very very fine like flour. Brother in law was running it and yeah after after going over the chain about 5 teath on one side had hit something for sure now I did give it a file during its 3 tanks worth so it wasn't ran like that for long

That filter has to be bouncing around under that cover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right Tim it was that little foam gasket when I put the cover on I could see it wasn't actually touching. So I've turned it over and put a little grease around and will see if that's a bandaid for the weekend but what's a proper fix can ya still buy them? Thanks for the help guy's

View attachment 730592

I'm wondering if the part of the seal circled in red (my 4000) is a bit too far back on yours It should be butting against the hole in the cover. I can't really tell from your pic due to the dust.

View attachment 730597

View attachment 730592

Oops I should of refreshed umm yea good thought it seems ok there I put a light smear of grease on the filter bottom too see how it's sealed there and yeah seems ok. Hopefully I haven't hurt it I got a huge fright

I have a fuel leak at the top part of the picture where the chain has dug into the metal. Will jb work or what is better . It's center of pictureView attachment 730655

I've used it to fix small leaks in tanks and it worked well. Not sure if it will last for all time. If the JB failed you could Red Kote the tank as well.

I have a fuel leak at the top part of the picture where the chain has dug into the metal. Will jb work or what is better . It's center of pictureView attachment 730655

I've never tried myself but Mark H had a tank on a old mac that had corroded holes in it and he used jb and red kote. Seems like the ducks nuts that JB weld

Jb site says that it should work well for the tank so I'll clean it up and give it a try, thinking about putting a cover over it to protect it from the chain doing it again. I'll report back. Thanks for your advice

Not sure why that happened. The PO must have run his chains really loose or something. More likely something.

Seems to be sealing under the cover and the dust underneath is not as fine. So I'm still thinking its coming through the filter

+1

Sounds like your rings are now seated in & that P4000 saw has caught it’s second wind!

It all depends on the wood quality. If it’s punky or the logs have rotten/soft spots, then I see that dust form under the other type flocked filters like the 3400 filters too.

You can have a razor sharp chain, and the dust still makes it through. Treat it as “free fuel”, since it burns like firewood inside the saw...lol

You may want to spray your filter with oil AFTER you clean it next time, to help catch more fines.

I use that red colored PJ1 foam motorcycle filter spray on all filters, foam, screen or flocked, and it works well while cutting in dusty hot OK & Texas conditions.

Same stuff was used on the early OEM 3400 & 3700 flocked filters that are stained red.

+1

Sounds like your rings are now seated in & that P4000 saw has caught it’s second wind!

It all depends on the wood quality. If it’s punky or the logs have rotten/soft spots, then I see that dust form under the other type flocked filters like the 3400 filters too.

You can have a razor sharp chain, and the dust still makes it through. Treat it as “free fuel”, since it burns like firewood inside the saw...lol

You may want to spray your filter with oil after you clean it next time, to help catch more fines.

I use that red colored PJ1 foam motorcycle filter spray on all filters, foam, screen or flocked, and it works well while cutting in dusty OK & Texas conditions.

Same stuff used on the early OEM 3400 flocked filters that are stained red.

Thanks hotshot I take it that means it will be fine and dandy then.

I was wondering about oiling the filter a little

Such a nice saw to run it still feels tight like a new saw the rubber handle is all still nice the antivibe is nice it sounds great and pulls a 20 inch real good a great firewood saw. Still haven't came across any others yet would like to try a 3400 for comparison and if I win the lottery a nice big green monster

Back