Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wouldn't hurt to check them. The last saw I got ran good after I worked on it, but the seals failed the pressure check. I replaced them and confident is will go many years without any repairs.

Steve Sidwell

Yeah u don't have any of that gear but I'm sure it would probably fail a test too. I'm just keeping a very close ear on it until I get some seals. I've got a carb kit waiting will do seals too. Will test the old slipping clutch out properly in a couple days too hopefully but thinking mite do that while I'm at it also the av mounts in the rear handle seem kinda loose

May be best to go over the whole saw. Have you any carbon build-up in the exhaust port? Loose mounts aren't too bad to repair, just finding new mounts can be a problem. A haven't found anything close to them. I do make sure I keep the front ones close to oil free, don't want them to go south on me. Pressure testing isn't that hard, I block off my ports with a piece of rubber from a truck inner tube. I have a cylinder leak down tester that I can adjust pressure down with and has a pressure gauge on it. Then I use soapy water to look for leaks. I need to get another hand vacuum pump so I can vacuum test with and make a spark plug adapter.

Steve Sidwell

I tapered my cases with my pocket knife, worked fine. Getting the seal over the step at the clutch side isn't that hard either, just have to work with a bit to slip pass. I use a deep socket that with clear the crank and get it started, then I use the next size up to make the seal flush with the case. Last one I did was just barely below flush. Need to leak check after installing. Flywheel side is super easy, tapered shaft. Lube seals before installing, don't want a dry seal lip.

Steve Sidwell

Lube or liquid gasket like Hondabond?

Got this for free today, is it a poulan? If so what model.
Does anyone know how to rewind the recoil? I cant seem to figure out what the spring hooks on. The recoil sits behind the flywheel on this.
099677c5b3bea32fe6881a8dc509c8a9.jpg
a96258110e1c1c8c2effcd865db0adf0.jpg
703fbf0566b4639a9264e49744963098.jpg

May be best to go over the whole saw. Have you any carbon build-up in the exhaust port? Loose mounts aren't too bad to repair, just finding new mounts can be a problem. A haven't found anything close to them. I do make sure I keep the front ones close to oil free, don't want them to go south on me. Pressure testing isn't that hard, I block off my ports with a piece of rubber from a truck inner tube. I have a cylinder leak down tester that I can adjust pressure down with and has a pressure gauge on it. Then I use soapy water to look for leaks. I need to get another hand vacuum pump so I can vacuum test with and make a spark plug adapter.

Steve Sidwell

Well it's probably due I've put maybe 15 tanks through it since the rebuild so just broken the rings in nicely.

I didn't realize the mounts were hard to get there just ever so slightly loose I wonder if I could use some inner tube cut nicely into disk shape and poke them in with the mounts to take up the play.

The fuel line is a mess lol it has a piece of mcculloch line from the carb then a section of original line down to a garden irrigation barb as a joiner cos it broke in half lol. It ran out of gas 1 day n thought hmm odd should be about half and I tipped it up and gas poured out lol so I did a "Maori" job and it's still holding months latter. What's the best easiest line to find? Will a small engine shop have some that will seal the hole in the tank?

Well it's probably due I've put maybe 15 tanks through it since the rebuild so just broken the rings in nicely.

I didn't realize the mounts were hard to get there just ever so slightly loose I wonder if I could use some inner tube cut nicely into disk shape and poke them in with the mounts to take up the play.

The fuel line is a mess lol it has a piece of mcculloch line from the carb then a section of original line down to a garden irrigation barb as a joiner cos it broke in half lol. It ran out of gas 1 day n thought hmm odd should be about half and I tipped it up and gas poured out lol so I did a "Maori" job and it's still holding months latter. What's the best easiest line to find? Will a small engine shop have some that will seal the hole in the tank?
I like the black echo fuel line myself. I think I like it better than tygon

Steve Sidwell

I like the echo line as well, I changed all of my saws over to it a year ago after someone on here said some good things about it. Has held up well. The size I got was. .118 x .196 I think it's 3mm x 5mm. Or 2mm x 5mm ,the mmmms get me all confused. Amazon number 13369

Latest posts

Back