Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the heads up Todd.

24” is the perfect size for the big saws, and no need for using the “S” adapters with those D176 bars...but 81 DLs seems like an odd count, versus 84 DLs for my big $tihls.

Saved this little saw from a scrap yard. The bright green jumped right out at me.

It has good spark. and feels like good compression while pulling the cord. Air filter housing and gas tank were full of gunk. Going to clean it up and see if it has any life left in it. The fuel that was in it was rotten as all get out, and the fuel lines are harder than the ground. So a bit of TLC is needed.

IMG_20190818_170551.jpg IMG_20190818_170559.jpg

I got 2 boxes of 84dl and had to shorten them to 81dl.

There’s a pair of Oregon 72LGX081G chains for $39.85 shipped from seller paedistributing on fleabay, if you prefer the full chisel chain.

He’s not a math major, as his single price @ $19.25 is actually cheaper, lol. Prob meant to
put in $37.95.

Most of my firewood is downed timber & it’s filthy, so I use semi-chisel a lot.

That reminds me of camping this summer, I had the saws and told everyone with us that if they got the wood I'd cut it. Well I came back from riding the ATV and there was a pile of wood so I started cutting with my new chisel chain and it was zipping through the first few logs and got slower after 6 or 7 logs so I stopped and looked at the chain and you guessed it dull as can be. Then I realized that they had drug the stuff with the ATV and it was like a grind stone. Lesson learned

I like full chisel myself unless it's dirty, then semi all day long. I might get that bow saw out next weekend and see how that chipper chain does in some oak. Of course it's gonna get a good sharpening first. After that I'm gonna see about getting another chain for it. Want to save that Poulan chain.

Steve Sidwell

That reminds me of camping this summer, I had the saws and told everyone with us that if they got the wood I'd cut it. Well I came back from riding the ATV and there was a pile of wood so I started cutting with my new chisel chain and it was zipping through the first few logs and got slower after 6 or 7 logs so I stopped and looked at the chain and you guessed it dull as can be. Then I realized that they had drug the stuff with the ATV and it was like a grind stone. Lesson learned

It certainly doesn't take a lot to dull a chisel. In my mates log pile I use a stiff brush to knock all the grub off. They have been through the bark stripper or what ever at the log company but then tossed on the ground afterwards.

Finished a couple more drawings for the big saws. Been busy helping my wife list a ton of our kids' old clothes for a consignment sale (helps empty my garage from all of the clothing stored in totes) so haven't had time to take my saw out and put the oil pump diaphragm I cut on to test. Once that's done I'll cut out a batch using the material I have. Should be able to maximize how many I cut. Hoping maybe by the end of the week. Though it's another hot one this week so running a saw becomes brutal.

Sucks not to be able to run a phone and share stuff. There are some 24 inch Oregon bars on flebay new for 38.24 and free shipping, 4 left. Just looked and 2 left.

That's a good deal. Just looked and there's 1 left. I can't justify as the 20" fits well for the 3700 plus I have a 24" on the husky.

They say heat index back in the hundreds again. I has been rough.

Steve Sidwell

Yeah. It's likely to be more of a relax in the pool week vs wanting to do anything with a saw... I've been avoiding working in the garage late even since it's been so humid.

Back