Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7700 cylinder is 77cc .you can use it but needs a piston to go with it. 5200, 5400, and 8500 are what you want
Ok, I got it now. I thought that the models above 5200 were all 85cc. Shows how many Poulans I own. It gets kind of confusing. When I first got the saw I thought it was 52cc judging by the model designation, until I watched some vids on Youtube. Well, I guess I need to post a wanted thread for a 5200, 5400 or 8500 cylinder. If anybody out there has a NOS one let me know, I'm interested. Bob

Ok, I got it now. I thought that the models above 5200 were all 85cc. Shows how many Poulans I own. It gets kind of confusing. When I first got the saw I thought it was 52cc judging by the model designation, until I watched some vids on Youtube. Well, I guess I need to post a wanted thread for a 5200, 5400 or 8500 cylinder. If anybody out there has a NOS one let me know, I'm interested. Bob

Very hard to find! If you come across an extra one let me know. I have an 8500 and a 5400 that need em.

Buying of course [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
Depends on if friend or unknown. Don't want to cheat your friend, offer what you truly think it's worth. Unknown individual, offer what the bar is worth unless he knows saws which small talk about the saw if he knows anything about a saw. Like ask if the timing is stock, the muffler been modded. Also think how much you are gonna have to sink into that saw to get it up to snuff. Just my 2€ worth. When I got my last 3400 bow saw for 80, I dared not tell the fellow the bow was worth a lot more than the saw, I could tell he didn't know much about chainsaws and wasn't gonna dicker around on the price either. I was more than fine with the price. I've passed on a lot of saws cause they were way over priced, they throw vintage into them to try to make out they are worth a lot more. That word to me means they have seen better days.

Steve Sidwell

Very hard to find spare jugs or pistons. Probably most common is the 3400/3700 but definitely getting harder. Keep your eyes out for a potential donor parts saw but the big ones that's been hard to find.

Unfortunately is one of the reasons I went with a modern 70+cc saw so parts are easy to come by. The 3700 will still see lots of use but I need to try to find a parts saw or two for it.

Report back on the repairs if you do the rechrome, I'd like to know more
I did a restoration on a McCulloch Super Pro 125C quite a few years back and had US Chrome replate it. I did not think they could do a bind cylinder like that but when I got it back it was like brand new. They Nicom/Nickasil plated it. I remember having to send original factory specs and a NOS piston and cylinder. They did a fantastic job but it was not cheap. I think back then it was somewhere close to $300. It's been quite a number of years since so maybe the prices are better. It's almost impossible to find NOS 125 cylinders now. Anyway, they can do them, I just don't know what prices are these days.

I looked up u s chrome and their prices are about the same. Sounds like they are much better at doing the cylinders than they were, it is a lot of money. If you could find nos p & c it would cost the same amount. I wish some of the people with big collections, the ones that have more parts than poulan would sale some. I have heard that some have big warehouses full of parts but they never sale anything. Rant over till next time

I worked from home today and thought I might get to cutting or at least slapping the oil pump on. Nope.... I ended up getting a bunch of hay out to my goat barn, moved a hoop house to get my turkeys into as they've out grown their current enclosure, mowed the lawn which desperately needed it, weed wacked, fead all of the animals, and then gave up as it was crazy hot. On the plus I propped dropped 10 lbs of water weight.

Not stepping outside again until tomorrow. This weekend is supposed to be cool.

EFECD57D-96F6-4F77-952D-6B1EECFCD093.jpeg
Sucks not to be able to run a phone and share stuff. There are some 24 inch Oregon bars on flebay new for 38.24 and free shipping, 4 left. Just looked and 2 left.

Well that was kind of a bust, he sent a reduced kickback tip bar & I hate those things. The small sprocket seems to die early...but the other bar was correct as posted & described in his ad. That right side one is on its way back.

People don’t know what they’re selling on fleabay most of the time, even though they took them all out of their boxes to check for rusting.

The GNDD is full size & the GGDD is the small one.

I worked from home today and thought I might get to cutting or at least slapping the oil pump on. Nope.... I ended up getting a bunch of hay out to my goat barn, moved a hoop house to get my turkeys into as they've out grown their current enclosure, mowed the lawn which desperately needed it, weed wacked, fead all of the animals, and then gave up as it was crazy hot. On the plus I propped dropped 10 lbs of water weight.

Not stepping outside again until tomorrow. This weekend is supposed to be cool.
Say you cut dust hay and feed up. Just got finished up cutting my dust also. I don't cut til 7:30 or 8:00 in the evening now. Best time to cut is when someone has just wash a car [emoji28]. Folks next door learned to wash theirs on Saturday cause I don't cut the dust til the week days.

Steve Sidwell

Say you cut dust hay and feed up. Just got finished up cutting my dust also. I don't cut til 7:30 or 8:00 in the evening now. Best time to cut is when someone has just wash a car [emoji28]. Folks next door learned to wash theirs on Saturday cause I don't cut the dust til the week days.

Steve Sidwell

Lol the dust haha. What time mid summer is it dark at night? We get 5am till 10pm for a month or so

I looked up u s chrome and their prices are about the same. Sounds like they are much better at doing the cylinders than they were, it is a lot of money. If you could find nos p & c it would cost the same amount. I wish some of the people with big collections, the ones that have more parts than poulan would sale some. I have heard that some have big warehouses full of parts but they never sale anything. Rant over till next time
I hear you on the parts hoarders. I hate to say it but sometimes I wish the Chinese companies that make the clone Stihl 090 parts would expand and include other collector saw parts. Sure would help bring a lot of old saws back to life.

Steve Sidwell

Can't see my neighbors so not worried about that. My yard wasn't dust either. We've had a bit of rain lately. It's been so hot I've avoided cutting but it was long over due. I had more work to do out in the goat and chicken pens but it was just too hot.

I hear you on the parts hoarders. I hate to say it but sometimes I wish the Chinese companies that make the clone Stihl 090 parts would expand and include other collector saw parts. Sure would help bring a lot of old saws back to life.

Surely this is only a matter of time.

Are the cylinders in the big counter vibe saws interchangeable? Eg can a 85cc top end fit or be made to fit the others? Or would a cylinder have to be made for every cc?

Who could be contacted about it? Are the Chinese factorys copying saws/saw parts off there own initiative or did people from the western world head over and get them started? A game of 20 questions I know sorry

Surely this is only a matter of time.

Are the cylinders in the big counter vibe saws interchangeable? Eg can a 85cc top end fit or be made to fit the others? Or would a cylinder have to be made for every cc?

Who could be contacted about it? Are the Chinese factorys copying saws/saw parts off there own initiative or did people from the western world head over and get them started? A game of 20 questions I know sorry
Not real sure about parts interchangabilty but the Illustrated parts lists for all the models show different part numbers for crankshafts so there must be some major differences. As far as who to contact for parts manufacture, I would not know. There will never be a company here in the US that will make them. To many regulations and red tape. That's why all the manufacturing is over in China.

Not real sure about parts interchangabilty but the Illustrated parts lists for all the models show different part numbers for crankshafts so there must be some major differences. As far as who to contact for parts manufacture, I would not know. There will never be a company here in the US that will make them. To many regulations and red tape. That's why all the manufacturing is over in China.

Yeah I new the red tape would kill any production hopes in "normal" country's lol was just thinking there must be guys that know the right people to talk to in China. It's odd they bother with the 090 like there can't be huge numbers of guys running those compared to say poulan 4000s or 82cc Macs or the big poulans I get the modern saws like 372s and the like

Back