Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Broke a felling dog bolt off in the hole. Doh!!

Been trying to drill and use an ez-out. So far it hasn't been too easy.

Attachments

• A3499A85-F553-4C98-86B4-490012FE9B97.jpeg
    A3499A85-F553-4C98-86B4-490012FE9B97.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
Hope to have a video soon of the Super 68 in wood. I stopped at the old Stihl dealer that sold me the 4 big Homelites last year for $10 each. I asked if he had any 1/2" chain. He said he had 2 rolls of Oregon 10. He cut me a loop for the 31" bar for $30. That stuff sure looks good on the saw. Now, every log I cut with it has to be up off the ground. That chain has to last me the rest of my life!

The primer bulb won't cause it to flood. Something else is causing it. Can you get it to start, how good is the spark, has a different plug been tried?

Steve Sidwell

Spark is good. Tried another if though. I ended up pinching a fuel line the first time between the carb and the cylinder. So it didn't seal well. So I think that flooded it. I fixed it but it was already flooded bad.

That's pretty rad. I got my stihl 041 running and used it for a few yesterday. It works well but it's more of a novelty. I likely won't use it often. I had the oil adjuster cranked way up on it and ended up using all of the oil before I used up the gas. Heh

It did come in handy when I broke the bolt on the 3.7. I left it on the work bench and grabbed the Stihl. Its good to have options

Thanks, same thing with all of my old saws. I hope to shoot a video with this one buried in a 27" Red Oak log. But, before I make the cut I'm going to put a snatch block in the tree next to the log and pick it up, scrape all of the bark off, it's been sitting for 3 years, so the barks is falling off anyway, then brush it down good so there isn't any dirt on it. Then set it on top of some big rounds so I don't have to bend. This half inch chain is so hard to come by I want it to last the rest of my life.

Spark is good. Tried another if though. I ended up pinching a fuel line the first time between the carb and the cylinder. So it didn't seal well. So I think that flooded it. I fixed it but it was already flooded bad.
Pull plug, turn saw upside down and pull starter to help blow out all the fuel then leave it sitting for a little while upside down to help dry it out. Just make sure switch is off and no choke and no throttle.

Steve Sidwell

You might want to go back where you had that one spun and get a few more just encase. Nothing wrong having too many chains, especially the ones that real hard to come by.

Steve Sidwell
Didn't put the whole story in. I tried to buy a whole roll. He said he had already traded both rolls to a guy for a restored Mall 2 man. But, that was a year ago, and since the guy hadn't come back, he could sneak enough off one roll to help me out, and the other guy would never know. Hope the other guy isn't here? LOL

He also had a pre made loop that he put on my sprocket before cutting mine, to make sure it fit. Laying next to my 31" bar it looked like it might fit a 20-24" bar. Next time I head in that direction, I'm taking some of my .063 bars. If it fits one, and he'll let it go, I'll get it. Never know when you pic up a big gear drive? For that matter, I should just get it, because I can always break it and not have to buy a whole chain at ebay prices.

Pull plug, turn saw upside down and pull starter to help blow out all the fuel then leave it sitting for a little while upside down to help dry it out. Just make sure switch is off and no choke and no throttle.

Steve Sidwell

I did but it was soaked. So I left it sitting to dry out. Plus I was more concerned about fixing my craftsman

Anyone know the size of the felling dog bolts? I'm thinking I may need to do a helicoil. I'm really hoping I can get it out and the threads be ok but it's been rough going so far.

You need to Google/pull up & print an IPL (parts list), as they’re listed as a #10-24 x 9/16” long.

Are you using a drill press & a carbide or tungsten bit to get an extractor hole made in it?

Your pissing in the wind, if not...likely a grade 8 bolt.

I used my thread checker to figure that out earlier. I'm using a hand drill with a carbide bit. I broke one already. No way it's a grade 8. It broke far too easy. I may go to my brother-in-law's next door though to use his press though.

It's coming out slowly. I'm just worried about the threads. Lots of back and forth. Unfortunately I think the size ez-out I would want I broke years ago.

Anyone ever try to respray parts of their saw? My starter cover is starting to look rough.
Is it plastic or metal. If it is posted above I haven't been following that well. I've seen people take orange plastic stihl parts and polish them to like new shine. I think they may have used one of the kits for polishing head light. I'd never paint a working saw, it would have one clean shiny part and the rest all grungy. But, then you have never seen one of my working saws.

Back