Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well today I had off work. This morning before it got hot I decided to take down a red oak that’s been dead for a while. So took my Makita 6401 out and cut it down. At the base it was about 20”. Started bucking it up, made a mis read and got my bar benched bad. Couldn’t get a wedge in. So went back up to the house to find which saw I was going to get the Makita out with. Picked the Poulan 3000 I bought.

So rescued the Makita with the Poulan. Decided to buck the rest up with the poulan. Has 16” bar and I just sharpened the chain. Man it was eating up that oak. Never had a 49cc saw put a smile on my face like that.

Found out we have a large stash of helicoils at work in the size I need so I think I'm going to go ahead and helicoil it so I can use a longer screw. Any reason I need to be worried about overdrilling this to helicoil? Seemed like plenty of meat around it to work with.
Just watch your depth.

Steve Sidwell

I've got an old Craftsmand branded Poulan 2000 that I've been getting advice for fixing in the regular chainsaw forum. I've come to what appears to be the last issue which seems pretty minor but I'd like to fix it if it's easy enough.

The gas cap leaks when the chainsaw isn't upright. I took the clear plastic piece out of the cap and saw a black, paper thin ring that doesn't sit flat against the inside of the cap. My question is, does anyone know what this material is or what material can be used in its place?

I've got an old Craftsmand branded Poulan 2000 that I've been getting advice for fixing in the regular chainsaw forum. I've come to what appears to be the last issue which seems pretty minor but I'd like to fix it if it's easy enough.

The gas cap leaks when the chainsaw isn't upright. I took the clear plastic piece out of the cap and saw a black, paper thin ring that doesn't sit flat against the inside of the cap. My question is, does anyone know what this material is or what material can be used in its place?

How did your oiler check valve rebuild go?

How did your oiler check valve rebuild go?

It went well, I received the duckbill valves in the mail, put one in, and tapped the brass collar in with a brass hammer. The original mesh screen was clogged with the remains of the old duckbill valve and when I filed the edge off of the mesh it got a little messed up. I picked up some stainless steel mesh online and used a hollow punch set to cut out a replacement screen and JB welded it back into place. I filled the oil tank and started the saw without the bar on, when I revved the engine up some I got some oil coming out of the bar oiling hole.

For around $50 I managed to revive this old chainsaw that hadn't seen the light of day, I'd guess, in at least 30 years. It might need a little more adjustment as it smokes some when WOT, although it could be some remaining oil from the faulty check valve.

It went well, I received the duckbill valves in the mail, put one in, and tapped the brass collar in with a brass hammer. The original mesh screen was clogged with the remains of the old duckbill valve and when I filed the edge off of the mesh it got a little messed up. I picked up some stainless steel mesh online and used a hollow punch set to cut out a replacement screen and JB welded it back into place. I filled the oil tank and started the saw without the bar on, when I revved the engine up some I got some oil coming out of the bar oiling hole.

For around $50 I managed to revive this old chainsaw that hadn't seen the light of day, I'd guess, in at least 30 years. It might need a little more adjustment as it smokes some when WOT, although it could be some remaining oil from the faulty check valve.

That’s awesome!

Smoke from the bar? You might need to sharpen your rakers lol.

Sorry, meant smoke from the exhaust. It started smoking very badly after I filled the oil tank with bar oil, that lead me to the check valve, I'm hoping it's just residual that hasn't cleared out yet, this weekend will be the first time I put chain to wood for more than 30 seconds.

Got to start somewhere so it might as well be here. Recently got a 3700. The saw is a dud but it didn't really cost me money just traded some labor for it as I have always wanted to see how good these saws are.

I have been doing some reading and searching for parts . My piston and cylinder look decent but I am going to put in a new set of rings. My saw has those thin rings , two of them . From what I have read these are hard to find . Is this true. I need a bunch of other parts to make this saw run but if these rings are hard to find I might give up on it but I really don't want to because it is the principal of the thing . I have started it and would like to finish it.

I put up a wanted to buy parts for this 3700 in the trading post but these rings might be a problem . I hope not.

Thanks

Back