Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to start somewhere so it might as well be here. Recently got a 3700. The saw is a dud but it didn't really cost me money just traded some labor for it as I have always wanted to see how good these saws are.

I have been doing some reading and searching for parts . My piston and cylinder look decent but I am going to put in a new set of rings. My saw has those thin rings , two of them . From what I have read these are hard to find . Is this true. I need a bunch of other parts to make this saw run but if these rings are hard to find I might give up on it but I really don't want to because it is the principal of the thing . I have started it and would like to finish it.

I put up a wanted to buy parts for this 3700 in the trading post but these rings might be a problem . I hope not.

Thanks
You can get parts from partstree. com and they have the rings about 6.00 each. The 3700 is a great saw so get it up and running you will like it

Got to start somewhere so it might as well be here. Recently got a 3700. The saw is a dud but it didn't really cost me money just traded some labor for it as I have always wanted to see how good these saws are.

I have been doing some reading and searching for parts . My piston and cylinder look decent but I am going to put in a new set of rings. My saw has those thin rings , two of them . From what I have read these are hard to find . Is this true. I need a bunch of other parts to make this saw run but if these rings are hard to find I might give up on it but I really don't want to because it is the principal of the thing . I have started it and would like to finish it.

I put up a wanted to buy parts for this 3700 in the trading post but these rings might be a problem . I hope not.

Thanks

I got 2 sets of the rings when I got mine recently. Can't remember where. I think eBay. Just did a search for the part number.

If/when I have oil diaphragms for sale. They're aftermarket cut from rubber as you can't buy the original anymore. Still working on getting gaskets cut. Just haven't gotten around to it and I need to find better material.

Gotta question . I haven't got into the oiler part of this saw . My manuel oiler works good but do these saws also have an automatic oiler that works off the clutch ??? I am tearing this saw down slowly but surely . So far so good but it is the first big old Poulan I have gotten into and just taking my time when I have time to tinker with it.

Automatic oiler is yes on a 3700, but not clutch driven.

You need to go to the “The beg for manuals thread” in the Chainsaw stickies and ask Mr Ray Benson or others for a service booklet for that saw.

Thanks , I'll do that.

Sorry, I missed the previous replies for the rings . I have dealt with parts tree when I was working on those
Shindawai brush cutters . I like them and the way they have the website set up . I see they have most of the parts I may need .

I have been doing a little more digging and researching this saw . The 3700 has a black top cover . The saw I have has a green top cover which is for a 3400. I don't know if someone switched things on this saw or not . All I know is the clutch cover says 3700. Even if it is a 3400 they are basically the same saw. Time will tell.

I'll note that you may see it oiling with the original but it may not be sufficient. Mine was working and I was dulling my chain real fast. Changed it and it was night and day difference. Hard to keep up with the manual oiler only.

Was it here someone was looking for a D176 20" 3/8 050 70DL bar? I cant recall where it was a week or so ago.

I ended up with a new oregon powermatch yesterday and still have the like new used poulan banana nose bar.

Saw I picked up for someone in my chainsaw repair group too. Guess they been looking for a nicer OE 372 for their collection.

d176bar.jpg pbard176.jpg

I don't have but this mild mannered workhorse, but do enjoy reading about you Poulan guys shenanigans :)

View attachment 763140

Those 50cc saws seem to be nice. Throw on a chipper chain a go to it. Don't know if the muffler can be modded like the smaller Poulans of that design.

Steve Sidwell

I did a Swiss cheese style muffler mod on mine and it runs great. Several smaller holes (I think I used 1/4” or 5/16” but) makes it louder but not obnoxious or crackly like a large single outlet would. Huge increase in power though.

Back