Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those 50cc saws seem to be nice. Throw on a chipper chain a go to it. Don't know if the muffler can be modded like the smaller Poulans of that design.

Steve Sidwell

I run a 16" Forester bar and bought a handful of their semi chisel chains. Really no complaints about performance.

I did a Swiss cheese style muffler mod on mine and it runs great. Several smaller holes (I think I used 1/4” or 5/16” but) makes it louder but not obnoxious or crackly like a large single outlet would. Huge increase in power though.

It's crossed my mind to do that. It is pleasantly quiet atm tho so there's that..and I'm a good neighbour, at least for now..

Curious about Poulans in the 60-70cc range, what models to look for that are still servicable and with little value to collectors?
I like the Poulan 4000 65 cc
Curious about Poulans in the 60-70cc range, what models to look for that are still servicable and with little value to collectors?

I think I'd be looking for a 380, 3600 or something like that. That being said, there's not a one of them that doesn't have some part that's getting hard to find.

For the older ones I think I'd be going for a Craftsman 3.7 in red (3700). Lots of them around and a pretty good, durable saw. Not sure what they are bringing in the US but not much up here. No brake on any of them I've seen if that's an issue.

Got more questions on this 3700. With the help of the members here I now have the parts I need to make a build able saw . If all this works out I can make a couple of these 3700/3400 but I hit a stumbling block.

I am a little stuck on how to separate the piston from the rod. It is press fit , no circlips as most of you know . I have a piston pin extractor similar to the official Poulan service tool for this task but mine just wouldn't work right and I didn't want to screw up and ruin the wrist pin . I see there is a jack screw type tool on ebay for chainsaws to remove the wrist pin that I might buy .

Anyone care to post their method to press this pin out and reinstall it. . I don't mind making homemade type tools as long as it is fairly quick and simple to make. I 'd like to be able to do this cold . The idea of heating that con rod doesn't thrill me .

Any help would be appreciated.

Wow, that will do the job. There is no way I could duplicate it . I just don't have those kind of machining tools . I do have that type of jack screw and the plastic pipe idea gives me something to work with to maybe fasten it to the pipe some how.

Thanks

The first one I ever saw on flebay was 3 years ago and 100.00 buy it now and i took a moment to look at the pictures and it was gone, Bob got it I found out later

Well it's nice to know where they wind up. The one I got here a guy from nz on as was watching it also and was happy it went to someone on here and not lost to oblivion.

So how is your Saturday morning going, it is hard to wrap my mind around that when it's still Friday afternoon at my house. I'm trying to get my reloading room cleaned up so my son and I can go to the range Sunday and do some shooting, need to get ammo loaded first. We both shoot 300 Remington ultra mag and we are both lefty's which is great.

So how is your Saturday morning going, it is hard to wrap my mind around that when it's still Friday afternoon at my house. I'm trying to get my reloading room cleaned up so my son and I can go to the range Sunday and do some shooting, need to get ammo loaded first. We both shoot 300 Remington ultra mag and we are both lefty's which is great.

Aw nice I like the idea of reloading. Yeah it strange how the time works.

Its rainy and yuck today has been good all week. Now on to the 2nd weekend of spring and still adjusting to daylight saving time. I'm off work at the moment I broke a little peace off my tibia in my ankle grrr nothing exciting slipped in the mud while walking. 3 weeks today20191005_103706.jpg

How bout you up there Todd is it cooling off much? When do ya flick the clocks back?

Back