Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The main thing is to have some fun with it. I did not want to get all technical with all the mods and I still keep it that way. The Countervibe series of saws are sure great.

Yeah that stuff gets pretty brain sore when trying to learn about degree wheels and what not seems like to go that far in really takes a good committed jump in with two feet.

I love the solid stocky feel to them like a muscly staffy dog lol 1 gripe I had was the trigger it kept catching my finger and pinching it in the hollow so I filled it with epoxy

I like that fix, now I have to look at 34 saws and see if it needs epoxy on the trigger, more fun.

Hahaha 34 saws lol. Do ya notice it too? It's the chubby inside bit of the finger it falls in a bit and as ya pull the trigger it pinches in between it and the metal the epoxy pretty well solved it

Never noticed that but I always wear padded gloves when I cut.

Steve Sidwell

I had issues with my gloves getting pinched in the trigger which causes not fun issues. I switched to leather palm gloves and that fixed the issue. I don’t like cutting without gloves unless it’s something really quick.

What do you want to know? How about a couple more pictures.
Hi Mark! Sorry for the late reply, I was on vacation. I've never worked on a sand cast before and only ever seen one other in person, I guess they never really made it to the west coast in Canada. Are there any specific tools needed to pull the oil pump gear? or any other things that are different from a typical old chainsaw? ie. is there a preferred order for disassembly or something uniquely poulan to watch out for?

I will take some more photos when I am out in the shop on Friday.

After reading a couple of dozen posts most people agree that the muffler is a real choke point on this saw ,so I didn't want to butcher it because I'm gifting it to a young guy who can't afford a new pro saw.
I figured I could slice 2 trapezoidal ports under the heat shield and use a couple of washers to lift the shield.

Ugh.

Anytime you can avoid making the 3400 saws’ rear muff discharge baffle holes larger, do it.

The plastic top cover will be melted & scorched in no time now. Plus, I can see it’s already been scorched around the front lips...

Ugh.

Anytime you can avoid making the 3400 saws’ rear muff discharge baffle holes larger, do it.

The plastic top cover will be melted & scorched in no time now. Plus, I can see it’s already been scorched around the front lips...

I always weld those holes in and make the exits on the clutch side of the muffler.

craftsman muffmod.JPG

Working on two 3400's I had previously worked on and got bored. One only has 110 comp and won't start. Guess I gotta see why as I thought I put a newer piston it. The other has gasket delete and comp of 150. Never seen a 3400 with comp that high. Got it running and now I need to find a bar and chain and put it into some wood for a real test. This one may be a selling candidate,as I have too many 3400's. UNfortunately they run better than people are willing to pay for them.

Hello all. Just checking to see if someone scored the Poulan/Dolmar 6000S in my hometown of Roanoke last night. I thought I had a deal in place, but the seller went in another direction. Oh well. Nice looking saw cosmetically with a 40 inch bar and a full wrap handle. Don't worry, no sour grapes here. I just hope someone enjoys it! Max.

Ugh.

20191107_090706.jpg Guess I'll put the top cover I dont care about back on and send it.

How does the 3.7 pull compared to the 590?
Been so long since I ran a stock 590 I honestly don't know. I'll try to get a video of it beside my ported 590 and then keep comparing as I continue to mod the 3.7. Still have base gasket delete and opening up the intake block. Maybe advance the timing a hair and work the transfers if my fear of ruining the jug doesn't stop me.

Back