Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one here that I did a bunch of work on. I had dropped the cylinder so was able to see it apart.
View attachment 772221
Cool. I haven't had time to get mine going yet. But it looks almost new. Someone put new fuel lines on it, but it had a kink and was pinched under the air filter. So not sure if it just needs lines or if the carb is needing some attention too.

Hey guys a while a go I was reading a thread on AS were a chap put a stihl cylinder on a small poulan my memory is blank but sure it was an 044 top end on like a 3000. I can't find it now for the life of me and wondering if any of you lads remember it?

That looks like it will clean up well.

As for the seals, I know the FW side is a Dichtomatik 068091VM. The clutch side I don't have listed for a replacement as at the time (long ago) I put the seals in my 71A (same seals as the 53A) I had not started keeping track of them yet.

I don't remember any particular problems matching that seal up though, it was pretty standard and it only uses one seal. Just pull it out, measure the seal bore in the case, the crank dia and how thick the seal is. If you have problems, deciphering it, post the measurements here and one of us will cross it for you.

FYI pulled the seals and can confirm that the FW side is the Dichtomatik 068091VM (having a hard time getting it here thru motion industries as they don't carry the brand, $4 for the seal and $25 for freight....) and the PTO side is a CR/SKF 6916 (0.625" x 1.25" x 0.25")

Thanks for the info Mark!

some photos of it in pieces all cleaned up.

20191113_160955.jpg

20191113_161006.jpg

Finally got to work on my 3500 today.
I haven't done many of 2-stroke fuel lines that I recall. So I was kinda going in blind.

Was trying to figure out why it wasn't getting fuel. Looked like the fuel filter was plugged. So I took it apart and there was a piece of cardboard inside held in place with a ring?
20191114_143753.jpg
Took that out and poked the gunk out of the outlet, left the disc out, and put it back together. Same result.

Then I took the carb off and checked the diaphragm. Looked ok.

Then after I got home(saw is at work) started wondering where the impulse line was. They had the tank vent running to the top of the carb, apparently where the impulse line is supposed to go?
But not sure where the other end of the impulse goes to on the crankcase.
Can anyone give me a hint where to look? Or maybe a picture?
And not sure what kind of line the impulse needs exactly.

And I guess the vent line doesn't need a check valve? Or is it suppose to have a duckbill?

Also, the holes in the tank are too big for the 1/8 i.d.-3/16 o.d. clear rubber/plastic fuel line that I had with me. But that seem to be the right size to fit the carb. So I guess I need 1/8 i.d., but larger outside diameter?

If it's like my 2800, small hole up front goes above the carb some, has a barb fitting on the side of tank the duck bill valve connects to. You install the fitting on the vent line and pull line from inside the tank. Barb fitting will pull tight inside of tank sealing it. Back hole is for fuel line to carb. Pulse line comes from the base area of cylinder head to carb. Think that's correct. Don't know line sizes.

Steve Sidwell

If it's like my 2800, small hole up front goes above the carb some, has a barb fitting on the side of tank the duck bill valve connects to. You install the fitting on the vent line and pull line from inside the tank. Barb fitting will pull tight inside of tank sealing it. Back hole is for fuel line to carb. Pulse line comes from the base area of cylinder head to carb. Think that's correct. Don't know line sizes.

Steve Sidwell
Thanks. I found this video of a 2800 that shows where the impulse connects to the block...under the intake port.

Guess it would be easiest to install the impulse if I take the tank off.

Will have to work something out for the vent line. They had just stuck a vent line down in the tank a couple of inches and hooked it to the impulse pipe on the carb. So no barbed piece was there.

Latest posts

Back