Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob, agreed. They look nice for sure. However, aren't 3700's supposed to have a flat black air filter cover with built in louvers for more air flow as opposed to (standard) painted covers? I read somewhere on AS that a Tim Allen 3750 recently went for large dollars in nearly mint condition on eBay. I have one but would never believe it's worth large dollars, even though it's nice. Sometimes I think people get a hyper inflated idea of what a saw is really worth. Not throwing stones, but it applies across the saw spectrum and beyond. Hope I'm making sense. Then there's the purchaser. Max.

The 3700's should have the rear vented AF cover. There isn't really much air flow difference between that and the standard cover that's vented through a comb to the carb area in the front of the AF cover

The Craftsman 3700's have the 3400 style cover and I can't see any noticeable difference in performance between the two.
The 3700 cover was also sold separately as a cold weather AF cover.

Bob, agreed. They look nice for sure. However, aren't 3700's supposed to have a flat black air filter cover with built in louvers for more air flow as opposed to (standard) painted covers? I read somewhere on AS that a Tim Allen 3750 recently went for large dollars in nearly mint condition on eBay. I have one but would never believe it's worth large dollars, even though it's nice. Sometimes I think people get a hyper inflated idea of what a saw is really worth. Not throwing stones, but it applies across the saw spectrum and beyond. Hope I'm making sense. Then there's the purchaser. Max.

Let us not forget as the prices of new saws continue to become higher the used chainsaw market will rise too. Also the word gets out on certain models that were designed well and there becomes more of a demand for those saws.

Great point, and one of the reasons I became so interested in saws in general. For the most part I'd much rather have an older metal saw with substance instead of a newer mostly plastic saw. Pure preference for several reasons. It's also why I collect larger cc saws in above average condition\ when I can. I love running my Homelite 750/550 or Poulan 8500 knowing I worked on them myself and had fun doing it. Frankly, I simply cannot afford/justify a newer large cc saw with one daughter in college and one preparing to begin in a year or two. Now, if I had the extra funds or if funds were no object, I'd like to have a big new Husky or Stihl, or even a Dolmar or Echo. It's just not in the cards for me.

I really appreciate your point regarding used saw prices and demand as well. Makes perfect sense. Max.

Let me add this. Most of you may or may not know I was a pure Homelite junkie in the beginning, but have seen the light in older Poulan saws. I've been on AS for a little over ten years, post infrequently, but have met some great people in that time. Gary "Guido Salvage" back in the day, Bob/Redunshee, Stephen/Acornhill, Todd Loosil, Steve Sidewall, just for starters. I hadn't heard from one of these fellows for nearly six months and today right out of the blue, there's a text! That makes me smile! Thanks to all who have given me help and assistance over the years, and for those who are helpful in general. Best, Max.

Wonder what a new in the box TA would bring? Thats stupid money IMO. But hey each to their own.

Know a guy with one in sealed box still and have that pic in my BB thread.

The nicest ones I have had I sold for 200-225. Lost track how many but guessing sold 10+ of them.

ptaxppp.JPG ptax9.JPG ptabb2018j.jpg ptax999.JPG ptabb2018d.jpg ptabb2018.jpg ptabb2018a.jpg

Jeremiah, nice TA 3750. I've heard/read, and can't remember where, the TA 3450 is possibly a more desirable saw than the 3750. What are your thoughts on the matter? Were there less 3450's made than 3750's? Which runs better? I realize this applicable knowledge/perspective for the non TA saws as well. Max.

The TA 3750's for me are more desirable but are more common the TA 3450. The 3750 is just a larger CC engine with the same weight and package as the 3450.

Plus the Transfer port design on the TA 3750 is more desirable than what I see on the TA 3450.

Jeremiah, nice TA 3750. I've heard/read, and can't remember where, the TA 3450 is possibly a more desirable saw than the 3750. What are your thoughts on the matter? Were there less 3450's made than 3750's? Which runs better? I realize this applicable knowledge/perspective for the non TA saws as well. Max.

Collecting wise. 1 3450 TA for every 10 I see compared to 3750 TA.
The 3450 TA is the harder one to find. I showed a guy south of me where to get one. I wasnt driving a hour for it.

I had one before too long ago.

1st one pic of one I put him on. He owns it now.

2nd pic one I sold to guy here.

p3450taa.jpg ptabb54.jpg

I was watching that 5400 and the 8500 from the same seller. The 8500 just sold for $372 (plus shipping and taxes) even though the cases were busted!

Maybe I should throw my Craftsman 5.2 up there and see how much a nice one could fetch?

I was watching that 5400 and the 8500 from the same seller. The 8500 just sold for $372 (plus shipping and taxes) even though the cases were busted!

Maybe I should throw my Craftsman 5.2 up there and see how much a nice one could fetch?

Don't do it man. Go fire it up and throw some chips:)

This is a 3750 that came by way of JJ that somebody at one time decided to run a bow on it and cut out the crank case to accommodate the bow. I have a before and after pic of where it was welded to make it back to the way it was originally. The saw was completely rebuilt and of course it being a 3750 TA it runs like a top.

3750 weld before JPG_thumb.png

3750 weld after_JPG_thumb.png

3750 new cover_JPG_thumb.png

Back