Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The saws downfalls from what I can figure from the one's that I owned are the recoil is not what it should be.(had to repair most of them) And the throttle linkage always seemed to have problems. A couple of them had stripped threads where the dog bolted to the front of the case. Each model got better with the way the top cover mounted. The 5200 was the worst awful big cover for 1 screw to hold secure. Your saw definately looks to be in great shape like it did'nt see a whole lotta use. My 5400 is ugly!

Ya, those pics were taken the day I got it, no cleanup was done. It sat for a number of years before I got it. I still haven't cleaned it up. Its definitely a runner, I was very surprised with it actually.

That's all I was trying to say. In the wood I think they did sound similar, that Poulan was ahead of it's time.:cheers:

I think the 7900 is a little higher tone. The 5200 has a real nice deep tone to it. But ya, they are a little similar.

I'm in

Sorry I know I've already posted this pic before

Apr20th2009010.jpg

OK, someone wanted pictures posted and here are part of mine (the rest are at the camp). My collection pales in comparison to some of the others but I am still proud of these. Those two yeller ones will rip too and the green one is no slouch, they really are great saws. If I could find an automatic oiler for the green one it would be in Ohio at the Snellerizer's place in a heartbeat but it is manual only. That's the only area where I can knock Poulan on that saw.

:chainsaw:

Oops, L to R is 3700, S25, and 335 that I added a chain brake to.

barneyrb,

Is there some reason why your automatic oiler isn't working??

To the best of my knowledge all saws in that 3400-3700-4000 series are BOTH automatic and manual override oiling.

Mike

I had the fortune of meeting Andy, his father and a friend?neighbor. He ran my dad's 4000 and appreciated it for what it was. Mind you, his saws were SICK!!!! but he knew a good running saw when he handled one.

With a sharp chain;) I wouldn't mind running that saw all day cutting fire wood. It had good torque, it started easily and it was pretty darn smooth. Good saw!

All this talk about 3700's and 306's and no has mentioned the 2800's and 3000's. IMO very good saws. Simple and dead on reliable. I have a Craftsman version 2800, that I bought new at an Sears scratch and dent store. I have cut miles of wood with that thing and it fires right up. As far as performance it outcuts my Oly 950 and 945 hands down, and its not to far behind my J-red 2150.

I just picked up a batch of auction Poulans and Craftsmans and was wondering what Poulan is a Craftsman 2.8 turbo.model# 358.351191. Is this a good saw or not. Its the black one with Blue writing on it. Its like new and fires right up. Runs good too. Also got a like new 1800 Poulan in the deal.

That saw is essentially a PP 2750/295 in black. Nothing wrong with it in my opinion. I have a 4620AVX (PP295 with tool-less chain tensioner) that gets its share of use. I hate the tooless tensioner but do like the saw itself. Next time you put on a new chain try a loop of 95P on it.

I was surprised the first time I used it to cut with on a small saw. I wouldn't part with my 2675 (2550 with purple covers), I run 95P on it with a 16" Oregon Pro-Lite bar. So far this is the best combination, for my use, that I have found for it.

OK, someone wanted pictures posted and here are part of mine (the rest are at the camp). My collection pales in comparison to some of the others but I am still proud of these. Those two yeller ones will rip too and the green one is no slouch, they really are great saws. If I could find an automatic oiler for the green one it would be in Ohio at the Snellerizer's place in a heartbeat but it is manual only. That's the only area where I can knock Poulan on that saw.

:chainsaw:

Oops, L to R is 3700, S25, and 335 that I added a chain brake to.

I think the 3700 does have automatic oiling! they all do as far as I know. These Poulans also have manual oiling, which in my opinion all saws should have. You can give that a few extra pumps with the thumb while making an extended cut in bigger wood, use mine all the time. I was lost when I started to use my Husky 385xp, they don't have a manual oiler, my thumb didn't know what to do...LOL

Gregg,

I think the 3700 does have automatic oiling! they all do as far as I know. These Poulans also have manual oiling, which in my opinion all saws should have. You can give that a few extra pumps with the thumb while making an extended cut in bigger wood, use mine all the time. I was lost when I started to use my Husky 385xp, they don't have a manual oiler, my thumb didn't know what to do...LOL

Gregg,

that additional oiler has to be the my favorite feature on those saws

If the 3700 has an automatic oiling system I wish someone would tell me where it is on the IPL because mine won't work and I can't find it. The problem is I'm used to running the 036 because it does have oiling and when I pick up the 3700 I usually forget and the chain is toast by then. If it would oil I prob would sell the 036 because this 3700 is much easier to work on, the parts are far more reasonably priced, and I really can't see and difference in the speed of cuts. Both are equal in my opinion.

If the 3700 has an automatic oiling system I wish someone would tell me where it is on the IPL because mine won't work and I can't find it. The problem is I'm used to running the 036 because it does have oiling and when I pick up the 3700 I usually forget and the chain is toast by then. If it would oil I prob would sell the 036 because this 3700 is much easier to work on, the parts are far more reasonably priced, and I really can't see and difference in the speed of cuts. Both are equal in my opinion.

Look at item 42 part# 530069062. Its the auto oiler. The thumb oiler pushes into the auto oler adding extra oil. Poulan 3400, 3700 and 4000 use the same oiler. If yours isn't working you probably need new gaskets as its impulse operated, not gear driven. Bob

If you remove the clutch & sprocket, the plate you see located there on side of the case is where the oiler is located. You ocasionally find them on ebay, I don't know if they are available yet as new or not. Can allways just buy a used cheap parts saw and get the oiler from that, and whatever other good parts might be available on it.:)

Gregg

If you remove the clutch & sprocket, the plate you see located there on side of the case is where the oiler is located. You ocasionally find them on ebay, I don't know if they are available yet as new or not. Can allways just buy a used cheap parts saw and get the oiler from that, and whatever other good parts might be available on it.:)

Gregg

Thanks Greg. Forgot to mention where it was. I've found parts for the oiler such as springs and impulse button(don't know real name) diaphragms and gaskets at Mowerparts.com. I think that's all he'll need as there isn't much more in the oiler body. Bob

Thanks Greg. Forgot to mention where it was. I've found parts for the oiler such as springs and impulse button(don't know real name) diaphragms and gaskets at Mowerparts.com. I think that's all he'll need as there isn't much more in the oiler body. Bob

Just going off memory here, which isn't to good, lol, I had one apart once just to see whats in there, and as I recall there was something in there that acts like a filter..I suppose that could get plugged up easily if ya got saw dust wood chip or something in your oil tank. That might make it not oil right also. Just a thought, Im far from an expert on this.:)

Gregg

old poulans

i have 2 poulans, both cl finds,,a craftsman 2.3/16 (s25d), and a 3300,,, i also have my buddys 2.2/18, that i just put a ring in,,,he got it free and it was worth every penny!!!!!!!!

Mine didnt oil properly when I got it. I just took the oiler out and cleaned it. Yes that little filter thing was clogged. It still doesnt oil anywhere near as much as my other saws, but it keeps a 20" lubed up.

My S25DA oiler doesn't seem to work right either. How do you check it/get it apart?

Just going off memory here, which isn't to good, lol, I had one apart once just to see whats in there, and as I recall there was something in there that acts like a filter..I suppose that could get plugged up easily if ya got saw dust wood chip or something in your oil tank. That might make it not oil right also. Just a thought, Im far from an expert on this.:)

Gregg

If it's one you don't know the history on, someone might have used burnt motor oil for b&c lube. That might clog up the filter.

Filtering used motor oil through a cheesecloth into a gallon jug and using it in the oilers was a VERY common practice in our neck of the woods.
Still is done by more than a few of the "old timers".
That is why the automatic oilers took so long to take the place of manual because they didn't put out enough used motor oil to cool and lube the bars.

I have to admit that I still like the manual override option myself.

Mike

Latest posts

Back