Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FATGUY

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Lawrence (Petesoldsaws) has a great Pioneer thread, and I hope to start a Poulan thread. I think there's enough of us out here who enjoy these fine specimens. So lets start a Poulan thread!!! To get things rolling, I want to talk about the 8500 countervibe. The long and the short of it is I want one. Never seen one (outside the 1986 catalogue I have), don't know who has one, or even run one. Gregg, Mark,Mike and Bob, lets get the ball rolling. (Lawrence and Jerry, we want your input too) Old Poulan owners UNITE!!!!

Last edited:
The only Poulan`s that I still have are the two 306A`s that we bought back around 1979-80. They have cut a lot of wood in their time but have required only minimal maintenence , both have had their original tin mufflers replaced with the cast metal mufflers. They still start and run very well and I occasionally cut with them. I had a 6000 a couple of years back but sold it,it was made by Sachs Dolmar for Poulan, I have a good number of the Sach Dolmar saws in their original colors.
Pioneerguy600.

I have a few old Poulans. I love them. I wish I still had my 306 and my 25 tho'.
I was looking at the 8500 in the brocure you e-mailed me. seems to be a HOSS.
I would like to find a nice 5200 but I don't really NEED one.LOL
Reckon we could start one of those "social group" clubs? If there's not one already.
We need to have a Poulan GTG sometime, that would be great.

Mike

Are you talking about one of these?
attachment.php

I know, chain fell off.

Last edited:
I have an old 3700 that belonged to my uncle and he let me have it and my grand-father's(RIP) Mac 10-10. I dumped the old rancid mix out pour in some fresh stuff and away it went. I put a fresh Oregon Pro-Lite b/c on it and it sings. I cannot wait to get it into to some serious wood. R|uns like a top, idles beautifully.

I have an old 3700 that belongede to my uncle and he let me have it and my grand-father's(RIP) Mac 10-10. I dumped the old rancid mix out pour in some fresh stuff and away it went. I put a fresh Oregon Pro-Lite b/c on it and it sings. I cannot wait to get it into to some serious wood. R|uns like a top, idles beautifully.

The 4000 I did for my dad is an odd beast. Not the fastest cutting thing, BUT, you gotta really put the FATGUY lean on it to slow it down. I'm thinking, Snellerizing, muffler modding, FATGUY custom sprocket, and look out....

I just now noticed you have BrianS' 3400. Great thread, looked at it a million times when i was fixing my clutch cover.. He's a heck of a craftsman, would LOVE to see that saw in person.

That is NOT a problem!!!

If I can get to the Indiana GTG on the 25th, I'll throw it in the truck and you can run the stuffing out of it!
That saw screams for a basically stock 3400 with a BrianS muffler mod.

I thought it was a great deal when he offered it to me. I had watched him go through it bolt by bolt and I knew it was the next best thing to a new saw.
He really is a fantastic craftsman and a top notch guy to do business with.

While I am not a Poulan afficianado, I do have a PP405 that currently has only 75 lbs compression. It is in the same range (cc-wise) as the 8500, but is from a later era. :confused:

After I get a few more of my favorite brand running, I will strip it down and see what else it needs. That will be my first foray into reed valves so it should be a learning experience.

If I was to look for another, it would have to be an old Poulan, and hopefully one that is old enough to make me want to restore it.

:cheers:

The 4000 I did for my dad is an odd beast. Not the fastest cutting thing, BUT, you gotta really put the FATGUY lean on it to slow it down. I'm thinking, Snellerizing, muffler modding, FATGUY custom sprocket, and look out....

I popped the muffler off of the 4000 I got from bowtechmadman and found out that there isn't nearly as much uncooked meat in a 4000 as there is in a 3400.
The 4000 has a LOT bigger port to start with than the 3400 or 3700.

Does the muffler on your Dads saw have the factory "muffler mod"?

OMG, tell us more!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have not cut wood with it. Got it a little while back. It is actually an 8510 (concrete saw) that someone slapped a bar on and tried to cut wood. They forgot about that little oil pump thingee..... I have located a pump. Hopefully in a few weeks I can give a full report. This one has the limited ignition on it too. Have not found an unlimited one of those yet. Several other projects going. I'm sure most of us can relate.

While I am not a Poulan afficianado, I do have a PP405 that currently has only 75 lbs compression. It is in the same range (cc-wise) as the 8500, but is from a later era. :confused:

After I get a few more of my favorite brand running, I will strip it down and see what else it needs. That will be my first foray into reed valves so it should be a learning experience.

If I was to look for another, it would have to be an old Poulan, and hopefully one that is old enough to make me want to restore it.

you may be in a perfect position, The Canadian Poulans all had chainbrakes (but the 8500, I think) If you EVER come accross a 3400 XP pro at a yard sale or something, pick it up, even if you don't want it, I'm good for it, plus shipping, plus whatever.

I have not cut wood with it. Got it a little while back. It is actually an 8510 (concrete saw) that someone slapped a bar on and tried to cut wood. They forgot about that little oil pump thingee..... I have located a pump. Hopefully in a few weeks I can give a full report. This one has the limited ignition on it too. Have not found an unlimited one of those yet. Several other projects going. I'm sure most of us can relate.

I guess there's no way you'd make the Indiana GTG

K10-SDC carburetor question...

sorry about being off topic here... I'm a newbie to the site. is there a homelite specific forum, or do we lump all brands together in this forum? I have a question about the K10-SDC Walbro Carb on a super XL homelite. specifically about the small diaphragm under the small plug in the needle valve bowl.
what is its purpose? when drilling out the plug the bit got a little deep and may have damaged it. I have a replacement screen but not the diaphragm. if it is just a buffer diaphragm then it may be alright, but if it is supposed to seal... well, I dont think it will any longer. thanks for any help.... Lou

you may be in a perfect position, The Canadian Poulans all had chainbrakes (but the 8500, I think) If you EVER come accross a 3400 XP pro at a yard sale or something, pick it up, even if you don't want it, I'm good for it, plus shipping, plus whatever.

You got it. I will keep my eyes open for the 3400 XP Pro. Heading to the city next week and will pick up the Buy&Sell tomorrow when the new edition comes out. I will be looking for saws anyway so adding that one to my list is easy. :D

sorry about being off topic here... I'm a newbie to the site. is there a homelite specific forum, or do we lump all brands together in this forum? I have a question about the K10-SDC Walbro Carb on a super XL homelite. specifically about the small diaphragm under the small plug in the needle valve bowl.
what is its purpose? when drilling out the plug the bit got a little deep and may have damaged it. I have a replacement screen but not the diaphragm. if it is just a buffer diaphragm then it may be alright, but if it is supposed to seal... well, I dont think it will any longer. thanks for any help.... Lou

Lou

Go back up to the main forum ("Chainsaws") and start a new thread. There are a lot of experienced guys here who can help you out.

For starters, go to the <a href="http://www.walbro.com/"> Walbro web site</a> and download their manuals. They will give you all the information that you need to service your carb.

PS ... welcome to AS!

Lou,

There are no brand specific forums here, and I can't answer your question, BUT,
If you will post it as a new thread in the chainsaw forum, the Homelite guys will be falling all over themselves to help you.
Offhand, I would say it's a bad day any time you drill through a diaphragm......
but I could be wrong.

Lou

Go back up to the main forum ("Chainsaws") and start a new thread. There are a lot of experienced guys here who can help you out.

For starters, go to the <a href="http://www.walbro.com/"> Walbro web site</a> and download their manuals. They will give you all the information that you need to service your carb.

PS ... welcome to AS!

thanks for the information... I found the errors of my ways and have copied and pasted into the right place.

Way to go Nik, this thread will have a few Jamokes scratching there heads! :)

Yes I have a few Poulans! I am particularly fond of the 306-245 saws. Tough old birds for sure. I am always looking for the bigger saws that Poulan made, but there just not too common around here.

Just to bring everyone up to speed I did actually work at a Allis Chalmers dealership that was also a Poulan dealer from about 1978-1981 or 82, (long time ago to remember)

The biggest I think we ever sold was maybe a 4200. Just not that much call for much bigger around here.

I think for now I just sealed the deal on the beat up 3700 for the P/C swap on my second 3400 that I picked up last sunday. The 3700 is supposed to run with almost 150lbs compression.

Back