Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brand new 3700, kinda sorta.

Got around to getting this 3700 done this weekend. It was a brand new saw that the dealer used to rob some parts off of.

It was missing a recoil, top covers, front handle bar etc, which I was able to scrounge up from my parts box. Gregg being Gregg, sent me the 3700 style top cover for it. Thanks!!

I had a used 3700 recoil but the rest of the parts were black from a Craftsman version as thats what I had here

I tore the saw down some just to be sure, pulled the jug and everything was still like new so it went back together and I put new seals in it. The oiler was still perfect but the pickup line was shot. The carb came from the parts bin and get rebuilt along with new fuel lines.

I was going to just put the stock muffler back on but just couldn't leave it that way.

Runs out great now.

The first picture shows the bar studs and how you can tell this saw was new and never used. The second picture shows the Piston is new also.

View attachment 406439 View attachment 406440 View attachment 406442 View attachment 406443

3700 & 4000 piston is bigger than 4200 piston, why is that? the 4200 is a reed valve saw and creates more torque? This may be a dumb question but i was just looking at a few pistons and thought that was strange,

32389b44cb5b782b815419bfe6dc667d.jpg

I picked up a orange 361 today, everything looks in order so I think I will try and get it to run.

3700 & 4000 piston is bigger than 4200 piston, why is that? the 4200 is a reed valve saw and creates more torque? This may be a dumb question but i was just looking at a few pistons and thought that was strange,

Yep the 4200 bore is smaller, but the stroke is longer.

Long stroke and reed valves generally make more power and torque.

A 4200 will eat up a 4000 in a cut, especially with longer bars.

But then again a 4200 will hang with most modern 70cc saws with longer bars as well.

Yep the 4200 bore is smaller, but the stroke is longer.

Long stroke and reed valves generally make more power and torque.

A 4200 will eat up a 4000 in a cut, especially with longer bars.

But then again a 4200 will hang with most modern 70cc saws with longer bars as well.
Interesting. I always figured the 4200 had a bigger bore. Who knew it was a stroker!?
That's one saw that I'm on constant look for

The 3450 is done. Cleaned up nice too. Got this one as a solid runner, the guy fired it up on the third pull after it say in the bed of his truck overnight 5* out. But, I like to know everything is good so I tore it down. Replaced fuel line and filter pulse line was new. Guts look like new. Saws like these tend to be low hour. Bought by homeowner types to limb and trim here and there, I have yet to find one worked hard or any where near what it's capable of. I ditched the vanguard chain put a descent loop on it. Modded the muffler cut the tube out and added three 5/16" holes to the diffuser nothing to crazy. Can't wait to fire it up these were awesome saws. Ohh and this is a type III saw too:)image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I had one here for ya! Didn't want to hound ya about and finally let it go after about 6 months..

I forgot! You did, I remember, then ya disappeared for 4 months! I don't blame ya Id have done the same. On my Poulan list are the 4200, 2700, 3750 and a few others. I haven't done a lineup of all of them in my collection in a while. Prob time too.

The 3450 is done. Cleaned up nice too. Got this one as a solid runner, the guy fired it up on the third pull after it say in the bed of his truck overnight 5* out. But, I like to know everything is good so I tore it down. Replaced fuel line and filter pulse line was new. Guts look like new. Saws like these tend to be low hour. Bought by homeowner types to limb and trim here and there, I have yet to find one worked hard or any where near what it's capable of. I ditched the vanguard chain put a descent loop on it. Modded the muffler cut the tube out and added three 5/16" holes to the diffuser nothing to crazy. Can't wait to fire it up these were awesome saws. Ohh and this is a type III saw too:)View attachment 407148View attachment 407154View attachment 407157View attachment 407158

Cool saw Joe, looks really nice! How many cc's was the type III again?

I forgot! You did, I remember, then ya disappeared for 4 months! I don't blame ya Id have done the same. On my Poulan list are the 4200, 2700, 3750 and a few others. I haven't done a lineup of all of them in my collection in a while. Prob time too.

No biggie.

I did check the compression on that 3700 yesterday but I forgot that when I put it together I didn't use a base gasket for it, so thats not going to be a stock reading. FWIW, it was in the 160 range. Same as the Craftsman 3.7 I just put in the trading post.

The 3450 is done. Cleaned up nice too. Got this one as a solid runner, the guy fired it up on the third pull after it say in the bed of his truck overnight 5* out. But, I like to know everything is good so I tore it down. Replaced fuel line and filter pulse line was new. Guts look like new. Saws like these tend to be low hour. Bought by homeowner types to limb and trim here and there, I have yet to find one worked hard or any where near what it's capable of. I ditched the vanguard chain put a descent loop on it. Modded the muffler cut the tube out and added three 5/16" holes to the diffuser nothing to crazy. Can't wait to fire it up these were awesome saws. Ohh and this is a type III saw too:)View attachment 407148View attachment 407154View attachment 407157View attachment 407158
Yea, Joe they are sweet saws. Had one I sold, immediately regretted it and now have a PP380 on the bench.. Go figure.

Latest posts

Back