Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my latest project that I have been working on for the last month. Started before the 4000 cylinder project came along. It will come in handy for testing the saws. The dino has a pump on the end of the bar and I can control the pressure. Tried it out today and it works pretty good with a 3400 ]
Looks almost like a power steering testing tool design I used to use. More you closed off the return valve, more pressure load was put on the pump.

Steve Sidwell

This is my latest project that I have been working on for the last month. Started before the 4000 cylinder project came along. It will come in handy for testing the saws. The dino has a pump on the end of the bar and I can control the pressure. Tried it out today and it works pretty good with a 3400 ]

OK. I'll ask. What are you trying to accomplish? Also, I've never had a good experience running the saw with the clutch cover off.

OK. I'll ask. What are you trying to accomplish? Also, I've never had a good experience running the saw with the clutch cover off.

I am not Todd, but my hat is off to Todd!

Todd has built a "Standard" a testing device that will establish a standard by which to judge and record the performance of a given device. In this case the given device is a chainsaw! He can now test any chainsaw against his dyno, The "Standard". By recording RPMs and pressure created, he has a standard to test all. My hat is off to Todd!

" never had a good experience running the saw with the clutch cover off "

I was taught many moons ago, to not stick my hands into anything that wont wash off!!!! ! So when running anything with the safety shields removed one has to be conscious of the dangers. The dangers are still present with the shields in place, just hidden from sight sometimes. Many rely on some device to protect them instead of common sense and good judgment. Some of us have been running chainsaws for well over half a century and I still find no need of a chain Brake!

Ken

Thank you Ken I couldn't have said it as good as you did.

Bob I cut all the teeth off the chain to do as much as possible to make it safe and ran it for the first time without the clutch covered. I have a plate that bolts on the bar to cover it and will get it installed. Thanks for the reminder about safety it's good advice.

My idea for this was cutting rounds was fun but I don't have that much wood and it's cold outside so I figured I'd make this and then I can run a saw in the garage all day where it's warm. The testing of one is the second reason and Ken said it best.

I am not Todd, but my hat is off to Todd!

Todd has built a "Standard" a testing device that will establish a standard by which to judge and record the performance of a given device. In this case the given device is a chainsaw! He can now test any chainsaw against his dyno, The "Standard". By recording RPMs and pressure created, he has a standard to test all. My hat is off to Todd!

" never had a good experience running the saw with the clutch cover off "

I was taught many moons ago, to not stick my hands into anything that wont wash off!!!! ! So when running anything with the safety shields removed one has to be conscious of the dangers. The dangers are still present with the shields in place, just hidden from sight sometimes. Many rely on some device to protect them instead of common sense and good judgment. Some of us have been running chainsaws for well over half a century and I still find no need of a chain Brake!

Ken
Countervibes, esp. 3400 thru 4000 are notorious for having the clutch fly off without the clutch cover on. That was my point. Running w/o a brake isn’t a problem for me.

Bob the clutch won't come flying off as long as the chain is on. This is no different than running a saw and cutting wood. It's when you are running without the chain and bliping the throttle that the clutch will fly off, still haven't found the spring the last time I did it. Enjoy the day and I'm glad you're on here with me. Some of us always need your input. Thanks again

Got a leaky cap on my 3.7. Just wondering if a gasket cut from innertube would last?
Course i could tighten it down until i either could never get it off or i busted the filler neck. Guessing that why so many filler necks are cracked. Or i could just run it with a small leak. Would keep a body from storing the saw with a half or full tank

after some research it appears that nitrile (buna-n) may be the way to go. Cant seem to find any sheets of it though. Anyone?

What's a better bigger saw a 330 or a 3800. I have a chance to get one of the other. Funds don't allow for both

Both lol. The 3800 could have the new 4000 top end on it at 64cc but the 330 can have a 61 cc top end and is lighter and a more modern package too.

Both definitely both

Bob the clutch won't come flying off as long as the chain is on. This is no different than running a saw and cutting wood. It's when you are running without the chain and bliping the throttle that the clutch will fly off, still haven't found the spring the last time I did it. Enjoy the day and I'm glad you're on here with me. Some of us always need your input. Thanks again
See. I learn something everyday.

I'm really liking this. Does it come with a cool sticker for my saw box? Lol

I see you have a big scary dog for the little counter vibes on Ebay. Does it have an inner 1 to match? A duel spike would make it extra scary for my plastic stihl wealding step brother hahaha. Although he seems to leave his in the truck and runs my old saws instead lately
Ok. What am I missing. Are these for sale? I want in. Referring to the 4000 kit

3800 for the win my opinion only because I love this series and I have some. I'd still grab 1 of them 330 and all the other names it has. There's a few on line with 036 or 038 top ends on pretty sure one of those
If memory serves me, the PP 330 was one of the newer 54cc saws. The 3450 was the same 54cc, but I believe a bit older. Now if you had a 3450 Type 3, you would have a 61cc saw, same as the 3750. Both are newer than a 3800 and smaller. The 3800 is a good bulletin proof saw.

Back