Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can deal with chips and scratches from wear and tear, but I hate it when someone uses a scrench or something metal to clean the saw. In this case it’s minimal, and likely a spur of the moment thing probably cleaning chips around the muffler. I’ve found a few good looking saws only to take the starter or clutch cover off and see someone’s futile attempt at a modern art masterpiece... CC86D56D-5771-4495-ABEF-FDC39A751593.jpeg

Has anyone looked at the way poulan applied the paint. My guess is that they assembled the saw without the cylinder and oil pump then put masking tape on a few places then sprayed it with paint. They didn't worry about the bottom and the starter was on. Put the decals on and the cylinder cover, along with the clutch cover. Is that about the way you see it.

Couldn’t resist a little mock-up
View attachment 798902
Been there, believe me, I've been there. Makes you feel all giddy inside from excitement. I've even sat my cylinder on just to look at it then sat the muffler up there too.

Steve Sidwell

Has anyone looked at the way poulan applied the paint. My guess is that they assembled the saw without the cylinder and oil pump then put masking tape on a few places then sprayed it with paint. They didn't worry about the bottom and the starter was on. Put the decals on and the cylinder cover, along with the clutch cover. Is that about the way you see it.

My 3400 was painted this way. My 4000 from Canada was not as far as I can tell.

Some Mac's are painted like that some are painted as parts. Be interesting to learn about homies. Another thing I stumbled on. My poulans fuel caps fit the Mac's and I've heard homies do too

Oil pump is painted as a part because there is no paint underneath, looks like they had a mask for it and they taped the breather by the studs. My guess that the carb and filter are over spray. I have seen the paint on the cylinder but it looks like the cylinder area has been masked. I've never seen paint in the carb area as in no painted carb. Some of it makes sense and other things don't.

Oil pump is painted. There is also overspray on the cylinder, carb, and air cleaner
When you get your oil pump seal and install it, you might want to put a little sealant around it. Mine pushed in pretty easy. I even tried it on my backup pump and it was the same way. So I put a dab around the housing/seal seam just to be on the safe side. Hasn't leaked yet. I figured it would have been real tight but I guess cause it's such a thin seal it doesn't.

Steve Sidwell

I took the big bore 5400 out this afternoon and ran it for about 20 minutes. Still runs good and has a nice crisp sound to it . My favorite saw

I understand without photos or video it is just hearsay. Lol , about your big bore 5400 being run. Or were you just making chainsaw sounds when you looked at the saw?

:)
Ken

Back