Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well looks like I've got to fire up some saws tomorrow morning. 2 1/2 foot diameter tree up rooted at dad's from all this rain. It's a big pine I think is about 70 years old. I'll take my echo cs400 for limb work and swap out the bow for a bar on the 3700 for the big stuff. I'll take the 5200 over when the ground drys out to get the bobcat in. It'll be the first time it has been in any wood.

Steve Sidwell

After I did the muff mod, she really pepped up. Love how it runs now.

Steve Sidwell
I also have a cs400. I pulled the limiters and tuned it but no muffler mod yet, needs a few more tanks of fuel under its belt. I got it from a contractor who was retiring, he bought it in August and used it once on a job site to cut 4x4s. The guy practically gave it to me, I think I paid $70 for it.

Few days ago came home from lunch out with wife and found this out back in testing area. :D

Farmer I did some saws for free of charge to get them running again dropped me off a new testing big saw log.

Story why I didnt charge him anything. I told him I remember back about 22-25 years ago in a bad snow storm in Dec and my plow pump was down. We were snowed in 700' back of the road. Looked out and he had his cab 4x4 tractor with the 9-10' blade on opening me up.
He told me it has to be really bad before he puts that blade on.

This piece came off about 20' up the tree. The other 20' or so still out there in the front field standing proud but broken from past years storm.

I know now stihl is putting China made Bosch in their newer saws. I like the German and Brazil Bosch but pass on the China ones.
Why my last bulk plug order had to go back to NGK. Hopefully I dont get bad batches of those like I did years back.

Now to go sink a poulan in it with a crap chain to see if metal in that one spot they stop cutting at. I am thinking it was just a odd spot to be cutting with their small saws I heard out there in past.

woodxx.jpg woodx.jpg s660c.jpg s251.jpg

Few days ago came home from lunch out with wife and found this out back in testing area. :D

Farmer I did some saws for free of charge to get them running again dropped me off a new testing big saw log.

Story why I didnt charge him anything. I told him I remember back about 22-25 years ago in a bad snow storm in Dec and my plow pump was down. We were snowed in 700' back of the road. Looked out and he had his cab 4x4 tractor with the 9-10' blade on opening me up.
He told me it has to be really bad before he puts that blade on.

This piece came off about 20' up the tree. The other 20' or so still out there in the front field standing proud but broken from past years storm.

I know now stihl is putting China made Bosch in their newer saws. I like the German and Brazil Bosch but pass on the China ones.
Why my last bulk plug order had to go back to NGK. Hopefully I dont get bad batches of those like I did years back.

Now to go sink a poulan in it with a crap chain to see if metal in that one spot they stop cutting at. I am thinking it was just a odd spot to be cutting with their small saws I heard out there in past.

View attachment 800245 View attachment 800246 View attachment 800247 View attachment 800248

Many moons ago, 1985, I found a 30 Cal armor perching bullet deep in a spruce tree. I found it with my band mill, it ruined that blade took over 12" of teeth off the blade before it stalled the engine. I still have that projectile somewhere in my bins. You never know what may be hiding in a tree.

Many moons ago, 1985, I found a 30 Cal armor perching bullet deep in a spruce tree. I found it with my band mill, it ruined that blade took over 12" of teeth off the blade before it stalled the engine. I still have that projectile somewhere in my bins. You never know what may be hiding in a tree.

When my hand hewn barn (main section) went down in 2006 in 100mph winds. I hit a 1" metal bar type deal in the middle of one of the big logs. Like 10x9 etc.

barn06after.jpg barn06before.jpg

Oh wow those are some classic bow ties.

After cutting them out of barn pic.

I ended up taking 60% ins on 2 of them to keep them. The 66 I was still restoring so no ins. Came from family that had bought it new.

Anyhow over the years I ended up selling them all. I just wasnt going to do the restore at todays prices back then. I had done the 65 in early 80's and camaro late 80's early 90. 66 was the 2000 project.

Inside new barn pic back then. Now it's full of shelves, saws and parts with 3 benches.

carsx32006.JPG carscheve.jpg

300 degrees in the oven and the bearings will come out or drop in if you are quick and get them started straight, have a small hammer and block ready to set them for sure.

This is so that someone doing a search will have a result
Nice setup getting the bearings in Aaron

I used the propane torch to heat the area for removal and assembly. You’re right they almost dropped right in, Just a little nudge with the arbor press to fully seat. Oh and bearings were in the freezer.

started cleaning the cylinder up. If you don’t have access to media blasting the Preact 1 product does a great job just keep it off the bore for any extended period of time.
716DBF8C-1887-4EC3-9A19-98EE3965E9F3.jpeg

I admit I was scared to sink my good stuff in it first = poulans till I tested it out.

Me thinks it might be a oak, but dont know trees very well without leaves myself.
Tight rings and pretty hard to cut. Can run a 20" buried at one end and 32" buried at the crotch area.

I used the root trencher small loaner saw to check that one cut area for metal. Didnt find anything there. Just think they changed their mind. Weird way to be cutting to me anyhow there.

Then let the test saw G66 do some cuts to see what was there. Still impressed with it so far.

treewood.jpg treewoodd.jpg

Descent size pine. Got to run hog wire and string up some barb wire after we clean out the top.
9de73b75b74e3ff534d61facfcbc6bff.jpg
66b9786b5b602296534b12eeee68f49b.jpg
a7e122e4f30cd95db8a652094147b0dc.jpg
1be16d81e4de4d83091bd70e407f4eb4.jpg
a64a0186b356583df7dd4a450e9f8b79.jpg
b3e311959661469aff816eb36cb2a462.jpg

Steve Sidwell

Back