Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve got this 5.2 craftsman that has a extra large hole in the clutch cover where the stud comes thru .I thought about an oversized washer . What are my options for this to perform well . I’m not really into looks I just want it to work.View attachment 800726View attachment 800727
I think the previous owner had damaged the stud and just cut it off down to good threads before realizing it would be too short to extend past the cover. His solution I guess was to drill out the cover and tighten directly to the bar . Looks like I need to replace the stud first.

I'm not very good at rebuilding carbs. Just trying to find a cheap aftermarket one.
NOS carbs are really hard to come by and I don't think there is an aftermarket carb for those saws. There is a rebuilt one on ebay for 65.00 but you could have someone rebuild yours for less than that.

Ordered the 5200 crank seals from Fastenal. $13 out the door for the pair, I’ll report back when they get here.
Also I did some further searching and found the 17x28.5x6 metric oil seals for around $2.00 and even cheaper if bought in bulk. Which got me to thinking how many of these places out there are really selling “OEM” seals. I’ve ordered parts labeled as “OEM” only to have them show up in a ziplock bag. So it would be easy for someone to order the Chinese seals in bulk at pennies each then sell them for $8-10 a pop. Just photocopy a Poulan logo and toss it in the bag. I know counterfeit parts aka “deep fakes” are an issue in the automotive world

Ordered the 5200 crank seals from Fastenal. $13 out the door for the pair, I’ll report back when they get here.
Also I did some further searching and found the 17x28.5x6 metric oil seals for around $2.00 and even cheaper if bought in bulk. Which got me to thinking how many of these places out there are really selling “OEM” seals. I’ve ordered parts labeled as “OEM” only to have them show up in a ziplock bag. So it would be easy for someone to order the Chinese seals in bulk at pennies each then sell them for $8-10 a pop. Just photocopy a Poulan logo and toss it in the bag. I know counterfeit parts aka “deep fakes” are an issue in the automotive world

Many times OEM small parts were only available in packs of 10 or more, even though a saw only uses two (2) thrust washers they were only available in OEM inquantities of 20. The dealers had no choice in the matter. So getting some OEM parts in a zip lock bag would not be unusual. They still can be OEM, just the dealers were forced to buy them in Packs.

I have spent a fair amount of time in retail in the past. OEM crank bearings, boxes of ten, cylinder base gaskets by the envelope of 5. , and so on. It all added to dealer overhead.

All mine came in the original Poulan sealed bag. Too bad the 3400 series aren't still around. Makes me think more of them were built and sold than the big cubes so people were buying up parts to fix their saw compared to the big boys. Just a thought.

Steve Sidwell

169F1339-EF00-4D17-B185-65A18610CED2.jpeg Hey there fellas. Been lurking in the shadows for quite some time. Finally made a profile. Been using a couple smaller Poulan saws for years cutting up trees around the farm as needed. Just recently really got into cleaning up and fixing up saws. At the moment I have nothing fairly to great aside from about a dozen smaller Poulans and a 3800 I picked up Saturday and then Sunday found a Craftsman that according to the numbers makes me believe from research on this site and others that it is either a 3700 or 3800. Anyways really like the 3800. Just wanted to say hello to everybody. Hoping in the future I come across a 5400 somewhere.

View attachment 801087 Hey there fellas. Been lurking in the shadows for quite some time. Finally made a profile. Been using a couple smaller Poulan saws for years cutting up trees around the farm as needed. Just recently really got into cleaning up and fixing up saws. At the moment I have nothing fairly to great aside from about a dozen smaller Poulans and a 3800 I picked up Saturday and then Sunday found a Craftsman that according to the numbers makes me believe from research on this site and others that it is either a 3700 or 3800. Anyways really like the 3800. Just wanted to say hello to everybody. Hoping in the future I come across a 5400 somewhere.
Welcome to the Poulan group Oliver, those are good saws that you picked up and there is a wealth of information to be found here.

Back