Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thick or thin rings are so self evident that just a glance should tell! Even for blind people. Thin are I believe 1.3mm/ .050 thick and thick are near .100.

One of the issues I see with the Black/grey Craftsman versions of the Poulan saws is craftsman did not put those handy decals on them that indecate. 3.4/3.7. They have the craftsman 358. someting model number on them, yes they do. But top covers do get changed and that cover may very well not have the correct number on it.

What I didn't realize was that the 3800 had the same restrictive arch in the exhaust port as a 3400. Thank you for the information on that.

Just measured the piston in my grey black saw, it is a 3800, 47mm piston. And it does have as Todd and many others have said the arch in the exhaust port. Thank you for helping me understand that 3400 and 3800 saws have the same arch in the exhaust port. The only difference is the bore diameter.

It will be arch less soon.

This is a thick ring 3400, like the 3800.
d10ac199f0743eba833538522d808bda.jpg

Steve Sidwell

It definitely has thick rings. I’ll measure the bore tonight.

Just take a popsicle stick or plastic straw, push it to the center rear of the cylinder through the exhaust port and run the piston up against it so it marks the stick / straw and measure end to mark.

The straw will measure a little less that the stick due to the squared end.

I suppose a wood pencil would work as well.

I have a number of rebranded 3400's assembled in Canada that came with a 3800 top end on them.

There also a bunch of Poulan 3400's assembled in Caada with 3700 top ends on them. The giveaway besides the rings and starter pawls is the label on the recoil that reads 61cc.
The 3700 Craftsman saws used 3400 pawls and pulleys.

Not over 15 minutes, lol, the saw is running strong now, I deleted the base gasket and had to make a new gasket to put between the isolator and jug. It was half gone when I took it apart and those two screws were not very snug.

I need to measure the bores of my yellow saws, they might have 3800 top ends, the one I did this treatment to recently runs about like my two 3700s.

Lunch time.

Latest posts

Back