Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My craftsman 3800 I just got done with runs really well with the farmertec chain on it.
the only problem is when noodling it does not have enough rpm to throw the noodles out fast enough.
Is yours the same way?

I have not noodles with it, but, I do not believe it would bog down now. I have no reason to noodle.

My intake ports are even now larger than when this photo was taken. I had cut them .060 deeper , removed from the bottom to give me a longer intake duration. They are much deeper now, and a wee bit wider.

Screenshot_2020-03-12-15-05-48.png.

This is the exhaust port of the 3800 after first cutting, stock width, The exhaust port has been widened to 63% of bore diameter since this photo. I did things in steps, three different tear downs and cut some more and then test runs. I used a degree wheel to track what I was changing. Do your own research and come to your comfort level if you start porting engines. This cut at top of port gave me a exhaust duration of 170 degrees. Without a base gasket. I am running it now with a .012 card stock gasket that I haven't measured after being compressed from cylinder bolts. Your milage may vary, have fun, make them run.

Screenshot_2020-03-13-19-08-51.png

I ported it and added bridges on the transfers and raised them she runs really good.
Also deleted the head gasket and took a little out of the squish band.
She gets clogged up tho when noodling don’t bog down tho.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
I knew that, sure is quiet tonight. Most of the snow is gone so I think that tomorrow I should grab a saw and make some noise for the neighbors. What saw, maybe the 2400, have 3 and a craftsman.

Our snow here is now mostly gone after the rain we had that ended yesterday shortly after noon. I just have the piles of plowed up snow left, they work great as boolit stops. Lets me pick up my boolitz when they melt for recasting. Still have lots of ice under the sawdust around my stick pile.

Run them all, it has been a long winter and most of your saws have been neglected the chance to get warm from internal combustion. They need fresh internal coatings of fuel and oil.

Brownthumb, from what I understand it is very common for noodles to plug up the bar cover, noodles just don't blow out like chips/sawdust. It may not be an issue of rpm but of bar cover clearance.
Correct. Have a Stihl 441 that clogs and a Husky 266 that doesn't. Nothing to do with power.

We didn’t get much snow here this season, and the last few weeks it’s been highs in the upper 50’s and sunny. Woke up this morning to snow and 40mph winds so that shoots yard work all to hell. Oh well I’ll just fire up the blaze king in the shop and tinker a bit while everyone else is panic buying at the grocery store lol. It’s getting pretty crazy over here in Wa state

Our snow here is now mostly gone after the rain we had that ended yesterday shortly after noon. I just have the piles of plowed up snow left, they work great as boolit stops. Lets me pick up my boolitz when they melt for recasting. Still have lots of ice under the sawdust around my stick pile.

Run them all, it has been a long winter and most of your saws have been neglected the chance to get warm from internal combustion. They need fresh internal coatings of fuel and oil.

It’s a small world!
While it’s still cool, I’ve been casting & sizing & lubing & gas checking 8mm boolits for a couple of 8mm/06 98k Mausers that I rechambered...purty!

F900E52B-71C7-4036-9A8A-EE18D8141E29.jpeg

I been Poulan all day.
I had to try a Wild Thingie out. Since I gots all kinds of poulan stuff I figured I might start pulling, the shoulder was feeling real good.
A good day, all needed fuel lines replaced 3 needed the coils tightened so I gapped them all at 17.
Muffler mod on all.
Not one crank seal leak all have nice P/C. Amazing what people will scrap.
I will put carb kits in them all but for the most part I need a couple of gas caps and primer bulbs.

Attachments

• 9DF86D91-B30E-4ABB-9350-F00FDEB1CAF1.jpeg
    9DF86D91-B30E-4ABB-9350-F00FDEB1CAF1.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 20
  • 8D644DF2-2E27-4627-B854-1ED07C97A8DD.jpeg
    8D644DF2-2E27-4627-B854-1ED07C97A8DD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
How about some 270 gr for my 41 mag View attachment 806655
Is LBT blue for lube?

I make/mix my own, it is , simple lube from castbullet forum. I do have one use for synthetic 2 stroke oil, it makes a good sprue plate lube. Lol. You won't catch me using any of that synthetic witches brew in my 2 strokes, lol.

I can't say I've seen one of these sprockets before. I came on a micro and is 3/8 LP.

View attachment 806546View attachment 806547
Nice set up. That sprocket will take any 3/8 chain, your micro may require LP, but the rim will take any 3/8 chain. Nice setup, replacement rims are not expensive.

I believe it is the small hub rim. Rims are available in two sizes of splines, and the splines are different configure for each size. I believe it is the small shaft rim setup.

I did get a chance to run 1 of my saws today. I have become a partner in this wonderful piece of equipment. We picked it up used for less than 5k. I am excited, sticks to split firewood made easy. Wallenstein WP830 firewood processor, 4 way wedge. This was at my brothers and the first stick I have run threw it. Nasty piece of maple, that was one side of a big crotch that had split apart. I really like the auto return function on the splitter head. I had to learn, advance the stick to be cut, then activate the splitter , then the auto return works, the winch is hydraulic and would kick it out of auto return if run during split cycle.

It is like cheating to do firewood.

When you were talking about shooting into the snow bank I did that when I first moved out here 40 years ago. Not to many people around back then. I bought a ruger redhawk 44 mag and shot cast bullets from the garage so no one could see me, down the driveway and across the street into the snow bank. Wait until spring and pick up hundreds of bullets that you almost could reload again. Fun times we have with the shooters. I did get very good with the 44 mag.

What is happening at the stores in your area. Rose and I went to Walmart and I can't believe how empty the shelves are.

Back