Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Ebay got me. Bid on a PP 330, not expecting to win and guess what. Received saw, tore it down and rebuilt it, seeing as staying at home, gave me alot of free time. Not a bad saw. Don;t think I have the carb dialed in yet as it takes a second or to for the chain to return to idle. Has a 22" bar but with the huge bucking spike the effective cutting length is more like 20". Have no idea what I'm going to do with it, though.

Been trying to get the dock ready to put the toon in the water. But hearing they may lock us down starting today or Mon.
If they do that.
I might actually put that project saw together. I have now decided to put the last 505 topend on it with the NOS 2 ring piston. Instead of another 445 half wrap. Still going to use the newer updated yellow tank instead of a black one though.
Sold one of my other 505 cylinders to a friend for his project.

p54aaaaaa.jpgp54aaa.jpg
p415tankn.jpgp415tanknnnnn.jpg

I like my cs400, running the "18 bar with muff mod. After doing the mod and retuning, like running a totally different saw. It really woke it up, it's my main dropping saw and my wild thing is it's backup. The bigger Poulans come out for the bucking.

Steve Sidwell
Haven’t done the muffler mod just pulled limiter caps and tuned, the saw still isn’t broken in yet.
How much louder is the saw with the muff mod? I kinda like that it’s quiet.

Had my 5200 with the 34" bar on last fall and it handled it with ease. They are such a strong saw.
The golf course near me dropped some poplar trees recently and there’s some BIG rounds laying out there for free. I’m going to see if I can drag one home for a test log

Well Ebay got me. Bid on a PP 330, not expecting to win and guess what. Received saw, tore it down and rebuilt it, seeing as staying at home, gave me alot of free time. Not a bad saw. Don;t think I have the carb dialed in yet as it takes a second or to for the chain to return to idle. Has a 22" bar but with the huge bucking spike the effective cutting length is more like 20". Have no idea what I'm going to do with it, though.

Some of those 164 carbs had idle issues. Could have one of them on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Haven’t done the muffler mod just pulled limiter caps and tuned, the saw still isn’t broken in yet.
How much louder is the saw with the muff mod? I kinda like that it’s quiet.

The golf course near me dropped some poplar trees recently and there’s some BIG rounds laying out there for free. I’m going to see if I can drag one home for a test log
Not too much louder. I drilled out the converter, opened up the outlet just a bit along with the deflector. Then tune it in the cut. Being it has a rev limited coil I just cut and tuned til it sounded right. That converter really chokes them down and makes them run hotter. I did the same to my earthquake digger, would shoot blue flames out when it was getting dark and the converter would be glowing red. Runs much better after the mod.

Steve Sidwell

Some of those 164 carbs had idle issues. Could have one of them on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Seems a few did. I had a 3450 give me problems like that and spent a few days corresponding back and forth with a Walbro Technician who swore the 164's didn't have any so called issues. Regardless, I believe most those problems were main check valves but those are not to be found anywhere. He even tried to get them from Japan and couldn't..

What I did find on that one that it was not a 164 carb problem and it was a carb boot sealing problem. When they went to the larger carb boots on these the rubber flange that the carb sets against is real small and over tightening the carb will smash the thin flange of the boot and cause a leak there.

Not saying that is always the problem but something to look at.

I was digging through some of my parts yesterday which I have not done for years now. I found a set of NOS rings for a 5200. Then I remembered I was going to rebuild one that I have here. I also found some NOS rings for Poulan 505 and 475. I had forgotten I had these. I going to have to do a inventory more often or write them down on a sheet of paper.

Well guys over the weekend I did something.

Sadly I no longer have a 3400 poulan anymore:( I will miss it and hopefully will find another 1 day it really surprised me that saw it ran very well indeed

But...

Thanks hugely to our very own Mr Loosli who had a few bits and bob's around I now have....

A ..

Lol ok enough...

Alright just a little drum roll

A very VERY nice green 4000.2.jpg
Can't thank Todd enough. I am beyond happy. Its sitting on my bench at work to look at all day.
1.jpg
3.jpg
Muffler is not quite finished yet
And after a good cleanup and some decals it will look really good
6.jpg4.jpg
It's running like a new 1 and sounds good too. Not as loud as I thought either.
Please exuse the wonky video

I love my orange 1 and ever since I got that 1 I have longed for a green 1 the to me proper poulan color and yeah the 3400 was nice but it just wasn't a 4000.

So yeah that's my story long live the green and occasionally orange saws

Siblings
Screenshot_20200323-085615_Gallery.jpg

I was digging through some of my parts yesterday which I have not done for years now. I found a set of NOS rings for a 5200. Then I remembered I was going to rebuild one that I have here. I also found some NOS rings for Poulan 505 and 475. I had forgotten I had these. I going to have to do a inventory more often or write them down on a sheet of paper.

So those rings are staying home Roger?

He certainly is. Wouldn't of been possible without him.

Did you end up picking that 4000 up over the hill?
No, I missed that one. There is a super clean 306a in Portland that I have my eye on, maybe once this all passes but not worth the trip right now

Latest posts

Back