Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are people that you just have to help and things that you don't need and I didn't need 6 4000 I also didn't have enough parts to make one either. Was happy to help

Yeah 6 is well umm I know what my wife would say haha. Thanks Todd.
Hope to get it out cutting some actual trees but dunno in these strange times were in at the moment.

This chunk has been sitting around the house for years and years. Back from when the folks owned it. Might have a go with the 5200View attachment 809724

That will be a nice test with grains in all kinds of directions. I allways gasp at you cutting by the concrete I wouldn't get away with that.

That 4000 wasn't meant to be another will come up

I like the double barrel look on the muffler mod there Jethro.
View attachment 809798

Cheers that's nice too I actually had a couple cut like that ready but I got lazy and flagged it. Did you fill up the old holes?

The ring thing seems like a viable option fiddly but if no other rings are about

Back in the day I had a 72 Yamaha sc500 and it had the L shape top ring only. After the 1 over size I couldn't get a ring so I moved down and cut 2 new groves. I cut the ends off. 0625 drill bits, that is the strong part but not hard, reamed it 3 under and tapped them in. Worked very well and never had a problem with it.

Cheers that's nice too I actually had a couple cut like that ready but I got lazy and flagged it. Did you fill up the old holes?

The ring thing seems like a viable option fiddly but if no other rings are about

Yes I welded in all the old holes on that muffler mod. The pipes were 1\2 inch emt that I cut and welded together. I then welded the pipe to the muffler from the inside so that you cannot see the weld that way. I then smoothed everything out with a burr. I have done quite a few this way.

Back in the day I had a 72 Yamaha sc500 and it had the L shape top ring only. After the 1 over size I couldn't get a ring so I moved down and cut 2 new groves. I cut the ends off. 0625 drill bits, that is the strong part but not hard, reamed it 3 under and tapped them in. Worked very well and never had a problem with it.

I new you would have answer Todd that's very a good idea with the drill bits

Yes I welded in all the old holes on that muffler mod. The pipes were 1\2 inch emt that I cut and welded together. I then welded the pipe to the muffler from the inside so that you cannot see the weld that way. I then smoothed everything out with a burr. I have done quite a few this way.

Right I was wondering if I should or not curiosity of the noise may get the better of me and give it a try it's rather quiet even though it's got four outlets haha. And when I polish up the stainless it wil get black from for the original outlets so might do it.

Like the idea of welding from the inside too

Picked up a 4000 carcass bout 5 years ago. Needed some parts. Had to replace clutch cover with 3800 cover; air filter holder with unpainted gray one, AF with 3400 filter, and AF cover with 3400 cover a nd rings. A real Frankensaw.
So I cleaned it up and cut down some 4900 rings. No worky; prolly cut rings too much. Wouldn’t even pop. Pulled 75#. Set it on the shelf for five years and patiently waited for rings to show up. Bought some from a member on here fairly recently.
If you want to test your patience and have some real fun, not, try installing oversized rings sometime. Took several attempts and still didn’t work. Maybe some of yas can do it but don’t think I’ll do that again except in emergency.

BUT, Got it going today. Very pleased so far. Haven’t tested compression but gots to be better than the 75# it was pulling. prolly not gonna sell it cause of the cobbled together nature. But do have some other Poulans I could sell if I ever got off my keister. I do
find I’m getting lots of saw work done cause of this shutdown. Just sayin

I'm just hoping he can keep his head above water.

As of tomorrow night whole country is in lockdown for four weeks
Y'all going to lock down? Business as usual for us at the dealership, just wear our protective gear and clean down every auto we work on and keep the tools we use clean.

Steve Sidwell

Right I was wondering if I should or not curiosity of the noise may get the better of me and give it a try it's rather quiet even though it's got four outlets haha. And when I polish up the stainless it wil get black from for the original outlets so might do it.

Like the idea of welding from the inside too

I opened the baffle way up but I left the spark arrestor in place. If you leave the spark arrestor in place but open up the baffle you still get the benefits of a muffler mod but it cuts down on the noise. Plus I do a lot of cutting on National forest land and it keeps me legal.

Latest posts

Back