Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y'all going to lock down? Business as usual for us at the dealership, just wear our protective gear and clean down every auto we work on and keep the tools we use clean.

Steve Sidwell

Yup nothing but essential. No contact at all out of your household.

Keep clean man take care

Picked up a 4000 carcass bout 5 years ago. Needed some parts. Had to replace clutch cover with 3800 cover; air filter holder with unpainted gray one, AF with 3400 filter, and AF cover with 3400 cover a nd rings. A real Frankensaw.
So I cleaned it up and cut down some 4900 rings. No worky; prolly cut rings too much. Wouldn’t even pop. Pulled 75#. Set it on the shelf for five years and patiently waited for rings to show up. Bought some from a member on here fairly recently.
If you want to test your patience and have some real fun, not, try installing oversized rings sometime. Took several attempts and still didn’t work. Maybe some of yas can do it but don’t think I’ll do that again except in emergency.

BUT, Got it going today. Very pleased so far. Haven’t tested compression but gots to be better than the 75# it was pulling. prolly not gonna sell it cause of the cobbled together nature. But do have some other Poulans I could sell if I ever got off my keister. I do
find I’m getting lots of saw work done cause of this shutdown. Just sayin

7700 rings work like a charm. But glad its going now

I opened the baffle way up but I left the spark arrestor in place. If you leave the spark arrestor in place but open up the baffle you still get the benefits of a muffler mod but it cuts down on the noise. Plus I do a lot of cutting on National forest land and it keeps me legal.

I like the noise but each to there own. I drilled all the holes out as big as I could to keep intact did you do any holes in the side of the baffle?
I'm running Mac's alot and the noise is horrendous so got good muffs on anyway

I like the noise but each to there own. I drilled all the holes out as big as I could to keep intact did you do any holes in the side of the baffle?
I'm running Mac's alot and the noise is horrendous so got good muffs on anyway

I took a cut off saw on a 5" hand held grinder and cut the whole center out of the baffle on both sides. I left just one end attached so it would stay in one piece. That way I could still slide the bolts through it and keep the spark arrestor in place but no restrictions.

I took a cut off saw on a 5" hand held grinder and cut the whole center out of the baffle on both sides. I left just one end attached so it would stay in one piece. That way I could still slide the bolts through it and keep the spark arrestor in place but no restrictions.

Ahh right ok might do that next time it's off. I like that

Well Ebay got me. Bid on a PP 330, not expecting to win and guess what. Received saw, tore it down and rebuilt it, seeing as staying at home, gave me alot of free time. Not a bad saw. Don;t think I have the carb dialed in yet as it takes a second or to for the chain to return to idle. Has a 22" bar but with the huge bucking spike the effective cutting length is more like 20". Have no idea what I'm going to do with it, though.

redunshee,
There are many owners of the 245A model from Poulan here on this forum. Why does no one have a service manual for this saw????? The saw I have is my first of this model and I don't really want to tear into it without the factory guide book. I have 2 other Poulans that are recent models for general cutting work. I would like to get this big saw running!
I've said my piece, can any of you guys or gals help me out?
Ilovechainsaws

Jerry, forgot about the 4900 being the same. Not sure why you had so much trouble with them. Only Jethro has done anything with them that I have seen. I have a set but have never even put them in the cylinder to see what they fit like. I thought it would be a easy fix for the 4000. Am I not understanding something.

There are people that you just have to help and things that you don't need and I didn't need 6 4000 I also didn't have enough parts to make one either. Was happy to help
I have been thinning those models out too. Never seem to use them. I'm down to 2 4000's 1 3400 and 1 or 2 3700's I even let my PP395 go. Of course I traded it for something else. :laugh:

redunshee,
There are many owners of the 245A model from Poulan here on this forum. Why does no one have a service manual for this saw????? The saw I have is my first of this model and I don't really want to tear into it without the factory guide book. I have 2 other Poulans that are recent models for general cutting work. I would like to get this big saw running!
I've said my piece, can any of you guys or gals help me out?
Ilovechainsaws
Who says no one has one? The early service manuals are not very good anyway but since your here complaining about it here you go.

Attachments

• Poulan 200 300 Series Wright 100 Service Manual.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 13
Jerry, forgot about the 4900 being the same. Not sure why you had so much trouble with them. Only Jethro has done anything with them that I have seen. I have a set but have never even put them in the cylinder to see what they fit like. I thought it would be a easy fix for the 4000. Am I not understanding something.

It was Tim (fossil) who put me onto the 7700/4900 rings I had to cut at a rough guess 1.5mm mm off the end

I had no trouble getting them in the bore on the piston just popping in 1 side in and then use a wooden pick to pop in the other side and done. It's done many many many tanks of fuel since like quite a good few hours. Until the clutch got crook it came on every wood trip and still going good as gold. Todd gave me the ring gap specs from an oem set he measured.

Now you could in theory tighten up that gap for more go go but it will be mean on the pulley so I never did.

My favorite wooden pick is to sneak a couple kebab skewers from the kitchen there quite strong can be sharpened up again and again.

Back in the day I had a 72 Yamaha sc500 and it had the L shape top ring only. After the 1 over size I couldn't get a ring so I moved down and cut 2 new groves. I cut the ends off. 0625 drill bits, that is the strong part but not hard, reamed it 3 under and tapped them in. Worked very well and never had a problem with it.

bore n piston on those were somethin to see back in the day.
95mm, iirc.
werent around long.

I have several saws here with the 164 on them with no problems.

I only had 1 that I can recall that was all over the place and not hold tune. Done everything to it, cleaned, kit etc. Still the same. Figured it was a leaky check valve. Throw a known good carb on and all was good.

I was digging through some of my parts yesterday which I have not done for years now. I found a set of NOS rings for a 5200. Then I remembered I was going to rebuild one that I have here. I also found some NOS rings for Poulan 505 and 475. I had forgotten I had these. I going to have to do a inventory more often or write them down on a sheet of paper.

I been going through that alot lately. Like Christmas all over again.

Most of you know this already. But for those that dont.

Was digging up another style NLA pulley for a guy in my chainsaw repair group. For a 3500 I sold him years back.

Just showing the the thinner and thicker ones in series. Both work with matching recoil for them with same flywheel when needed. Pawls can still be bought new.

p3500pulley.jpgp3500pulleyy.jpgp3500pawls.jpgp3500pulleyetcothers.jpg

Thanks, Modifiedmark,
I'll put this to work, soon.
If I can get it functional, there are some parts needed to complete it. I'll check back then
Ilovechainsaws

This isn't the buy and sell thread, there are classifieds in the main forums here for that. There is also a beg for manuals thread here you could have used for that manual also. Just sayin.

Latest posts

Back