Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm staying neutral on this. I like all you guys and hate to hear the spat. I know times are tough right now but it will get better. I was asked today if I wanted to take leave from work for awhile and I turned them down. I'm felt needed and people will need their cars going. Too many rookies in the shop, me and another tech is scared to turn them loose. If we weren't here, they would be calling us up to try to solve a problem over the phone. I don't want to be cooped up in the house, I'd go nuts.

Steve Sidwell
Be careful,
Ilovechainsaws

Hey everyone, and good evening. I hope each of you is well and healthy. I see some of us are still at work, some are retired, and some are working from home.

I'm in the last category and have been at the house for the past two weeks but for two appointments on client's construction projects. My Wife and Daughters are here as well as school in Virginia has been cancelled for the 2019-2020 year. I'm surrounded by estrogen, LOL, but am thankful everyone is healthy!

I've been tinkering here and there on my Poulans, Homelites, and other saws and equipment. I'm going through my collection of parts and seeing what I have and learning what I need. I have to say it's a useful process for my sanity! I fired up my 8500 this past weekend as it'd been a while. It felt good to do so and the saw sounded great. I need to get some fuel soon to replenish my gas cans, and am looking forward to seeing lower fuel prices. So what are y'all doing to constructively pass the time? Interesting stories to share? Any recent saw/equipment finds? Good or bad repairs?

I'm hopeful that each of you is and remains well during the COVID-19 pandemic. Stay strong, optimistic, and healthy. As my Master Chief used to say, "You don't have to like it, you just have to do it!" Best and good health to all. Max.

Good to hear from you Max, glad all is well. Been in the same boat, I have two girl. Being stuck in the house with three females when they were younger was no fun. Wife and two girls will have the rule, I would just hide in the barn.

Steve Sidwell

Stuck at home for four weeks Along with 95 percent of the country unless I'm called out to a busted dairy shed.

Got the man cave to some kinda normality. Screenshot_20200326-085036_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200326-085049_Gallery.jpg
Still a pigsty but day 1 still four weeks to go lol.

Cranked up both 4000sScreenshot_20200326-085206_Gallery.jpg
This muffler is definitely louder. Lack of room on the braked 4000 means it's probably going to stay with the factory side port. Which isn't even factory from what I'm told the Canadian 4000s never had that outlet

Well Idaho just got put on the stay at home rule for the next 21 days. Hope I have enough stuff to keep from going crazy. Might be a good time to go and make sure the saws are runners. Been a year sense I have started them all.
Hope all of you are doing okay and staying safe.

Worked on the 3800. Went to install the new crank seals and found the starter pulley busted. That was a surprise because I was still able to pull it over. Anyways I was lucky that I had a new one on the shelf. Got the new seals in cut some wood to test it out and the saw is back to cutting like a dream again. Also the pulley did come with instructions on how to wrap the rope but I did not want to cut it any shorter so I am sure this will work.
IMG_1376.JPG
IMG_1377.JPG

Hey guys. Just revisiting the 4620, 2900 et al family. Are the 46 and 49 cc saws enough of a jump in power over the 42 cc saws to make them worth buying? How about compared to a 5020?

I have never objected to someone doing just this, its not the same as what I was speaking of. As for the knowledge, there used to be a lot of very knowledgeable people here but have been driven away from here from the BS. I'm losing interest real fast again.
I hear you Mark, there are still people on here that have far more knowledge than me but it seems that the guys that were around back when when this forum started and imparted their knowledge to me are pretty much all gone. Guys like yourself, Arrowhead, Ohio Greg, C.B. Farmall and a bunch of others no longer post. I got on this forum to learn how to work on saws and now I can take a junk Poulan and make it work. I guess I don't mind someone asking for a part if they can't find it elsewhere but disagree with using the forum for advertising things for sale. What really turns me off is when others on here start talking about cars or guns or anything else besides Poulan chainsaws and use up two or three pages with that crap, there are other forums for that. Are there any moderators on here anymore or is that just wishful thinking?

Got this in the mail today. Need to replace the seals on one of the 3800's.

View attachment 810486

Roger,
Bevel the bore edge as good as you can with the shaft still in place, as the sheet metal in those Mexican made seals have been cost reduced to about half of what OEM is. You can compare the two when you get the old seals out.
I won’t buy anymore Nationals, sticking to SKF only.

Roger,
Bevel the bore edge as good as you can with the shaft still in place, as the sheet metal in those Mexican made seals have been cost reduced to about half of what OEM is. You can compare the two when you get the old seal out.
I won’t buy anymore, sticking to SKF only.
Never mind, I read where you’ve already got them installed. Good job on that.
I think I went through 4 National seals, before I stopped smashing edges & beveled the bore holes on a 4000...frustrating

I would go with a PP 295. It is 46cc and is before the 4620 came out. They are good saws and easy to work on.
Then if you want a bigger saw go with a PP 335 which is 54cc and much better than a 5020.
Man, I prefer a 2800 over a PP295 any day. I just don't care for starto saws. That and you have to almost tear the whole rear handle off to get to the carb.

Latest posts

Back