Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roger,
Bevel the bore edge as good as you can with the shaft still in place, as the sheet metal in those Mexican made seals have been cost reduced to about half of what OEM is. You can compare the two when you get the old seals out.
I won’t buy anymore Nationals, sticking to SKF only.

Thanks Randy I knew about putting a bevel on the edge trick. There is one thing about these seals, they did not come with a spring and from the diagram I saw it did show one.

but have been driven away from here from the BS.
Mark, I am curious as to what BS you are talking about? I hear people mention this occasionally, and frankly I do not see it. IMO 85 percent of the drama around here left when the saw builders left and another ten percent left when Jon1212 flew the coup and his buddies quit stopping in to stir the pot.

I hear you Mark, there are still people on here that have far more knowledge than me but it seems that the guys that were around back when when this forum started and imparted their knowledge to me are pretty much all gone. Guys like yourself, Arrowhead, Ohio Greg, C.B. Farmall and a bunch of others no longer post. I got on this forum to learn how to work on saws and now I can take a junk Poulan and make it work. I guess I don't mind someone asking for a part if they can't find it elsewhere but disagree with using the forum for advertising things for sale. What really turns me off is when others on here start talking about cars or guns or anything else besides Poulan chainsaws and use up two or three pages with that crap, there are other forums for that. Are there any moderators on here anymore or is that just wishful thinking?
There are several mods, but only two or three that are online on a regular basis. You need to flag the posts for them or otherwise they probably won't see them. It is virtually impossible for a handful of people to cover several thousand new posts each day.

Good info. So is the 4620 the only strato in this family of saws?

I think I might be mistaken on the 4620, I went out to my garage to look and make sure and I may have confused it with the some 4218 saws which are 42 cc and they are strato saws. I thought I had a 4620 out there but it looks like I have about 4 of those 4218 saws instead. So the 4620 could be non strato since my memory was bad on that. I did find also about 3 PP 295 also in the garage. So much of this I acquired quite awhile ago.

Thanks Randy I knew about putting a bevel on the edge trick. There is one thing about these seals, they did not come with a spring and from the diagram I saw it did show one.

Surprised that the garters are missing, you can see them down inside these smashed up “waste of good money” seals, lol.

59DFC798-2B7A-4A06-ADC9-69B9B5F75B95.jpeg

What is a strato saw and a clamshell saw?
thanks

In the case of those saws, both are clamshells. Like a Harley motor with a cap on the bottom of the cylinder making up the crankcase rather than the saw case containing the crankcase. The clam shell engine on those Poulans (and other plastic homeowner saws) allows the engine to be bolted into a plastic saw frame.
I didn't listen to this video but the carb on a strato engine has a second venturi on top of the carb to allow air into the cylinder for more complete combustion.
The vid shows what a strato P&C look like.
I hope this makes sense to you.

strato carb.jpg

Yep Tim you go it. I prefer the non strato saws because they are easier to modify.
Plus they don't have those plastic linkages on the carbs that like to break. Still using my 295 for my ATV saw. They rip pretty well for a little saw. Lots of haters for the 295's but they stand up well if you treat them gently. Definitely not one for the ham fisted. A friend of mine used his 4620 for 10 plus years and put a lot of hours on it before it gave up.

An elderly lady once asked him to cut down her dead but ancient apple tree. The 4620 was doing well until the sparks started to fly. It turns out the trunk had become hollow many years before and someone filled the void with concrete.

Good to see you on here Roger. I hope all is well on the prairie.

Doing well Tim. I have still been using my 295 that I modified by tightening the squish. It is one of my main saws that I use at the cemetery here for removing small trees or just keeping them trimmed up. I may retard the timing back some because with all the advance I have in it there are times when it can be hard to pull. Weather is starting to warm up here so been working on a lot of my saws so that I am ready for when I go to the mountains for firewood. I will take saws like 3750, or 335, or 365 that I have. Light enough to cut all day but big enough for the lodge pole that I get. Going to be 70 this year so I am hanging in there.
Good to see you too.

In the case of those saws, both are clamshells. Like a Harley motor with a cap on the bottom of the cylinder making up the crtankcase rather than the saw case containing the crankcase. The clam shell engine on those Poulans (and other plastic homeowner saws) allows the engine to be bolted into a plastic saw frame.
I didn't listen to this video but the carb on a strato engine has a second venturi on top of the carb to allow air into the cylinder for more complete combustion.

View attachment 811148

Fossil,
Thanks for the info. I think this type of carb is on one of my weed whackers or hedge trimmer. Never knew what if did. It looks like an idea concocted in california, by the pollution fanatics. I had never taken the engine apart to see what was going on. In many years of hot-rodding two stroke bikes and snowmobiles, this type of carb was never seen. New info is always a good thing, whether you like it or not.
thanks, again,
Ilovechainsaws

In the case of those saws, both are clamshells. Like a Harley motor with a cap on the bottom of the cylinder making up the crankcase rather than the saw case containing the crankcase. The clam shell engine on those Poulans (and other plastic homeowner saws) allows the engine to be bolted into a plastic saw frame.

View attachment 811148

harleys split vertically, evo - '99 & all earlier, use 4 vertical bolts, motor to frame. cases bolt together sideways, like a "pro" saw.

Back