Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes you just have to step back and laugh at yourself.
:D
All CRG post thrown into one here.

She lives. Fired off 3 pulls on choke. Now to button up.

duh! Forgot I needed a cover for decomp and no air injection for this one. Time for rednecking

Duck it. Putting plug in it till later. Want to put in some wood.

No decomp

Ok I play that game too. 460 rescue handle.

Feels good in cuts . Last log tested in while tuning in other.

pp505zz.jpgpp505zzz.jpgpp505zzzz.jpgpp505zzzzzz.jpgpp505zzzzzzz.jpgpp505zhandlebrokenodecomp.jpgp505zres.jpgpp505zcuts.jpgpp505zzzzz.jpgpp505z2ringoem.jpg

Taking my social distancing time while not teleworking to get a lot done around the property. My 3700 has run great and I need to work on sharpening my husky 372 chain.

I could ask in the main forum but when the saw wants to cut to one side I know that’s the cutters are uneven. It’s cutting to the right. So... is the best way to sharpen the cutters that face left then use a micrometer to see how deep they are and make sure I match the ones on the right to that depth?

I’ve contemplated dropping it off to get sharpened once at a local shop but figure I have time I should be able to do it myself.

Taking my social distancing time while not teleworking to get a lot done around the property. My 3700 has run great and I need to work on sharpening my husky 372 chain.

I could ask in the main forum but when the saw wants to cut to one side I know that’s the cutters are uneven. It’s cutting to the right. So... is the best way to sharpen the cutters that face left then use a micrometer to see how deep they are and make sure I match the ones on the right to that depth?

I’ve contemplated dropping it off to get sharpened once at a local shop but figure I have time I should be able to do it myself.
It is more important to make sure they are equally sharp on both sides and just set the rakers to each individual tooth with a gauge and it will cut straight.
Tooth length does not matter to spite what people will tell you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Look up buckin Billy ray on YouTube. He has a video where he takes a new chain, files one side right back to the line, leaves the other side alone, sets the rakers, and it still cuts straight.
He has some great filing videos.

It’s a pretty new bar and chain. I think it’s probably the chain. I’ll try that afterwards though.

Like 2broke said it's all in the rakers. A progressive raker gauge is the ticket husqvarna has them but there's quite a few options. The progressive system took chains to the next level for me. The saddle type yeah it works but teeth need to be the same

It is more important to make sure they are equally sharp on both sides and just set the rakers to each individual tooth with a gauge and it will cut straight.
Tooth length does not matter to spite what people will tell you.

Totally agree. Both sides need to have equally sharp teeth plus similar depth gauge heights.

I use the husky raker guage on many different kinds of chain. Stihl, husky, oregon, archer, tri link, carlton. It works fine on all of them. Need different gauges for different pitch chain. Not different manufacturers.

I use the husky raker guage on many different kinds of chain. Stihl, husky, oregon, archer, tri link, carlton. It works fine on all of them. Need different gauges for different pitch chain. Not different manufacturers.

Me too I've learned some prefer the high vs low setting and some would like a middle setting but yeah just a bar length saw power chain type semi vs full kind of balance. How did that semi loop you got recently cut Kevin?

Me too I've learned some prefer the high vs low setting and some would like a middle setting but yeah just a bar length saw power chain type semi vs full kind of balance. How did that semi loop you got recently cut Kevin?
Last loop of chain I bought was Carlton reboxed as Woodlandpro but it was full chisel .404
I havent purposely bought any semi chisel.
I did grind a chain for a buddy, it was husky semichisel in .325 and it cut great afterwards.

Last loop of chain I bought was Carlton reboxed as Woodlandpro but it was full chisel .404
I havent purposely bought any semi chisel.
I did grind a chain for a buddy, it was husky semichisel in .325 and it cut great afterwards.

Ahh must have been the woodlandpro I was getting confused with and you talking about semi. I've been buying stihl now they put there price down and they place with carlton seems to have put it up so bugger them I'll by the stihl its darn nice chain getting a 20 inch loop for 53nz now so it's not too bad

Well come Friday evening here in Georgia they are gonna tell us to hunker down for two weeks. Only certain essential businesses will be open. Sounds like I may have to get a pass or something to go to the shop to work. Just started tearing down a SUV engine to install new pistons and rings. I hate warranty jobs but it's better than nothing right now. Might have it done by Monday, I hope. Vehicle is a piece of junk that doesn't look like it has had much normal maintenance done on it. Rants over. If I do have to hunker down, guess I can run by the farm and pickup some saws to work on that I've been putting off.

Steve Sidwell

Steve.
We’ve been on lockdown for a few weeks now, but it’s been business as usual here because we are an essential manufacturer. HR handed out slips to put in our vehicles in case someone gets pulled over, but state and local authorities said they won’t be pulling people over for being out and about so really the lockdown is kinda on the honor system. As long as everyone does their part we will get thru this. Stay safe out there.

Aaron.

Latest posts

Back