Power lines under stump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone am new to the site started a stump removal business a couple months ago and have not ran into this problem until now. I am quoting a job with multiple stumps and the home owner had the utilities marked prior to me bidding and one of the stumps lands right on a power line I’m sure someone has been in this situation before I am a bit concerned about this should I just avoid that stump in particular or just grind it carefully and not very deep any Advice would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 7B77ABF3-62C5-40B2-B323-A98917A14607.png
    7B77ABF3-62C5-40B2-B323-A98917A14607.png
    2 MB · Views: 46
Hello everyone am new to the site started a stump removal business a couple months ago and have not ran into this problem until now. I am quoting a job with multiple stumps and the home owner had the utilities marked prior to me bidding and one of the stumps lands right on a power line I’m sure someone has been in this situation before I am a bit concerned about this should I just avoid that stump in particular or just grind it carefully and not very deep any Advice would be appreciated!

Wel you certainly should not want to be grinding it. Who ever is paying you to do the job must understand it is potentially lethal. Tell them no.

Wel you certainly should not want to be grinding it. Who ever is paying you to do the job must understand it is potentially lethal. Tell them no.
Thanks for the reply that’s what I was thinking too but saw some other threads were some said to hand dig and locate the line and then go for it but not grind too deep but to me it really isn’t worth it.

Welcome to A.S. !

If you really want the job, and want to include that stump, consider contacting the power company to kill power to that line while you hand dig, locate, and remove the stump. Then turn it back on. Some times they are off by a few feet. Tell the customer what the extra costs would be to do this hazardous stump, and let them decide.

Do you normally have utilities located for other jobs?

Philbert

In the UK the cables have a buffer cover, often clay curved tiles then plastic wrap round the armoured cables (both marked with electrical warning ) You would be fine with a slow moving grinder, the big danger is when you are excavating with a back hoe etc...

Those aren't stumps.....:)
In the time it takes to post this, get replies, call the power company etc etc you could have just dug those little bits out by hand....
Its hard to tell from the picture, but is that mark red or orange? Makes a difference....Did you ask the home owners what exactly is under there? Might not be what you think.

If those are utility power lines they are required to be a minimum of 18" below the surface, more if they are in excess of 120 volts. It's possible that they weren't buried to spec, and final grade could have been changed after the installation of the lines, but it's probable that they are 2' deep or more. If you carefully dig around the stumps to a depth of about 6" then cut the stumps off about 4" deep, you can do the job safely I keep a saw around with a carbide chain for stumps. It's not as good as removing with a grinder, but better than leaving them as is.

How badly do they need removed? Looks like they are in a bed (see the landscape fabric). Can the client just throw some mulch over them a call it well enough? I know that doesn't make a stump grinder any income, but hitting a line costs more than it makes!

Dig a little around stumps to see if you can find power line. Most power lines are buried deep. Grind a couple inches below ground and leave it at that. Price enough for digging and worry!!

Like arathol asked - those are 'stumps' ?

What is your hourly rate. Price it by hand digging archeology style with garden trowel (or air spade or pressure washer and shop vacuum) to a foot deep, cutoff with hand saw or sawzall at bottom of hole.
Count your time and bill the HO. You could even let the HO help dig with hand trowel and shop vacuum.

Had a 16 in dia stump with gas line thru the root ball, convinced the HO to just let that one it rot in place.

For this and a lot of other reasons I bought a locator a while back. Always keep in mind a locate request only covers what’s incoming, and that is only to the respective meters. Any power, gas, to shops, lamps, dog fence, sprinkler wire, gates, etc is the responsibility of the contractor. One push of a button I can verify accuracy of primary locate, and accurately determine depth.

Mclauflin
Verifier
Cost? Well I found one on EBay in like new condition for 2400, new they are 5k. It was my third locator, 2nd Mclauflin. It gives you X-ray vision underground

Back