Power Products Thread....any and all info welcome.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carl you may be back in business with just a set of rings. Most of the PP engines never had more than about 130PSI compression from what I've seen. There are some real gurus here. Hopefuly Jacob J will join us. He's a wealth of knowledge.

I'll have to look again at Hastings website. Once you get to 2" and over, standard piston rings should be easy to get. There is always 'The Greek'.

B.T.W. That clutch cover is nothing but a flat piece of roofing tin. Leave it off and you would have a 'noodle special'.

Last edited:
I'll have to look again at Hastings website. Once you get to 2" and over, standard piston rings should be easy to get. There is always 'The Greek'.

B.T.W. That clutch cover is nothing but a flat piece of roofing tin. Leave it off and you would have a 'noodle special'.

That's how my AH58 powered Mono/Wards WD60 is. No clutch cover at all. Wide open noodle special...

Most likely it's an AH-48. Those are over a 2" bore (2.09) and have the removable head.

The 47 is a true 2" bore engine with the fixed head. The 58 is a 2.09" bore engine with a removable head but has a much longer stroke
than the 48.

That's an interesting saw. A lot of Wards' equipment from those days was of minimalist design.

We had a large 16 horse Wards Rototiller (front tine) that my dad bought new in '71 and that thing would beat you to death.

Carl you may be back in business with just a set of rings. Most of the PP engines never had more than about 130PSI compression from what I've seen. There are some real gurus here. Hopefuly Jacob J will join us. He's a wealth of knowledge.

It's amazing how low the compression is on the engines. Here is part of service manual that I have that list the compression numbers for the AH engines.
tecumseh.jpg

Low compression on these.

743c873c.jpg

I searched high and low for any piston ported AH-47 info to no avail, as I picked up a Lombard S150 and it had a piston ported motor, not reed valved, and there it is, in the upper right hand corner. They call it a "third port". Interesting. Ill have to dig it out. IIRC, a carb kit and she would be a runner.

Thanks Mr. Bow Saw!!!

We measured the bore at 2.092" and the stroke at 1.412" (dial caliper) for a whopping 4.9 in. cu. I guess it is an AH480

We are putting the head back on this pup since 90 psi is A OK.

Wish I had access to a lathe. The clearence (squish) is in excess of .200". I'd take some off the end of the cylinder, but it has no compression relief valve.

Most likely it's an AH-48. Those are over a 2" bore (2.09) and have the removable head.

The 47 is a true 2" bore engine with the fixed head. The 58 is a 2.09" bore engine with a removable head but has a much longer stroke
than the 48.

That's an interesting saw. A lot of Wards' equipment from those days was of minimalist design.

We had a large 16 horse Wards Rototiller (front tine) that my dad bought new in '71 and that thing would beat you to death.

Mom and Dad always had a big garden. About '55 Dad bought a front tine tiller. 'Bout the time I got out of grade school I was supposed to run it for Mom. Beat my skinny! 13 y.o. arse to death.

David Bradley 360

I thought I had put this saw in this thread but didn't. I don't know where I posted it, anyway here is a AH47 I keep around for a while traded it to Logging22 last years GTG. I have another one just like it with a longer bar. Thanks for the bar Wiggs.

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=109786" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=a306f110bc&photo_id=5598807015" height="300" width="400"></embed>

Last edited:
Good to know on the compression. I put aside my Root when the new p&c made such low compression. Guess it was good after all.

Yes. All of the Tecumseh/Power Products-manufactured diaphragm carburetors use the same metering diaphragm & gasket. These carbs also share the same needle & seat between them.

Thanks bud, I bookmarked several of them on evilbay but the cover plate on the carb. is marked Power Products Lauson and wasn't sure about the Tecumseh connection.

I spent yesterday on the ignition so now I have spark. All remains to be done is the carb. diaphram and a fuel tank cleaning.

B.T.W.: The sprocket/drum is 8 tooth x 3/8". An effort to get chain speed up I surmise.
View attachment 209172
attachment.php

I got this Root back in the spring and went through everything. Had to replace the piston and cylinder on it. You can read that story in the kart engine thread. Anyway, when I was done, it checked out at a shade under 90psi. I got kinda dissappointed and shelved it. After reading the above a few days ago, I got it back out to see if she'd fire. Sure enough, she talks a good game. Don't know how much snot she's got yet. Need a button for the oiler and it appears the clutch springs are a little weak. Large mount Mac bars fit this, so I slapped one on to start her and made this crappy cell phone vid.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-89OmvD7z00" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back