Power pruner vs. pole saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just got a big contract trimming trees for a fast food chain. The majority of work could be done from the ground with a good pole saw. I was thinking that I just have to have a power pruner, but with the power packed in my Zubat I was wondering if any of you would consider a Hyatuchi(?) or one of the other aggressive polesaws as a replacement? The pole would be much lighter thant the power and a LOT less expensive. Considering that I'll be doing 30 trees at a stop including some palms which way would you go, power or pole? What brand/models?
Thanks,
Greg

A neat idea would be to have a double sided curved pruning blade to make scoring the under side of the branch easier then making the finishing cut from the top.
Anyone ever see one?

A power pruner does low quality cuts. They are best used for removals or for getting the weight off, then finish cutting by hand.
Stihl makes the best, but I the echo's are a good low cost prunner.

The silky pole saws are very light duty, you would need to be very careful using it and storing it. They are light and cut fast though, so they are probably worth the extra effort to treat them with kid gloves.

if you're going to be prunning a bunch of palms on a regular basis,
then i would definitly reccomend investing in a power prunner. i've got the echo ppt 260 w/ a 5' extension. i can reach frons 23-24' up and clean out a cabbage palm that hasn't been touched in years in about 5-6 minutes. that's good $ at 20 a pop. usually takes longer for the clean-up:rolleyes: . just make sure to sharpen your chain before each job or your dull chain will
shread the frons, you need to have nice clean cuts.
if you're going to be prunning oaks and other shade trees, listen to mike, nothing beats the finishing cut by hand!!!! it's hard to make a proper underside cut w/ the power prunner!!!!
good luck,
budroe:cool:

The closer you are to your cut, the better cut you can make. Power pruners are good for high volume, medium quality cuts. A lot depends on the operator and how careful you are making your finish cuts. For the high volume you are talking about, I think it would be a perfect time to invest in a Stihl HT-75.
I'd also bring along a ladder so you can quickly jump up in the trees, strap in and make any difficult finish cuts with your climbing saw. (I know the PROPER way would be to set a rope, footlock or air-hump up, tie in, etc. but in real life a ladder would be much faster and easier for multiple trees 15'-20' off the ground)

No idea about what/how you'll be pruning, but have you thought about hiring a mobile work platform/cherry picker? With the right sort of job, the time you save more than covers the hire cost.

If you get a power pruner, keep us informed. I'm thinking of getting one myself for lightening and separating hawthorn prior to hedgelaying.

I have used both Stihl and Echo, the Stihl is twice the saw. My Echo is uncomfortable to grip the throttle and the saefty lock on some cuts. The power appears to be less with the Echo as well. Either saw is great for building upper body strength!

Stihl HT-75

I have used a Stihl HT-75, and agree that the cuts are only of medium quality even when the chain is sharp, also that they are useful for removals. Also agree with the past post that they are great upper body builders, especially when extended! Also be prepped for a sore neck if you are prone to such. I am told there is a vapour lock problem with this model, ie you have to keep opening the gas cap every few minutes to avoid having the engine cut out-can anyone else verify this? The last one I used certainly suffered from this problem.

A neat think about the Stihl is that you can buy a different trimming head and use the whole affair to trim hedges and trees

I know that the hot ticket saws right now are the Silky's. But has anybody used the Stihl arborist supplies yet? I was down at my dealer today where they had the extendable Stihl pole saw, looked really nice. I asked the owner how many he has sold, to which he replied "1" He said they were really nice but also pretty expensive. What do you guys think of these things? If I wanted to buy one I could either go there for the Stihl version or go up the road to Vermeer and buy the Silky's. Which reminds me I need to go purchase myself a Zubat one of these days for pruning :)

Re: Stihl HT-75

Originally posted by Jumper
I am told there is a vapour lock problem with this model, ie you have to keep opening the gas cap every few minutes to avoid having the engine cut out-can anyone else verify this? The last one I used certainly suffered from this problem. ( Echo pole saw)

No vapor lock/venting problems with mine so far- engine runs well, just not much power.

The Stihl that I used was prone to damage to the chain oiler tank. I had to replace several at $40 plus a whack.

If the limbs you are going to be cutting are small I would go with a pole saw. They cut pretty fast and don't weigh as much. With the curved blade, it is at a much better angle for cutting limbs. Use a stihl on the larger limbs. Just rember to make the proper series of cuts on the lager limbs so as not to tear the bark or the collar.

echo ppt260 in action.......

check it out. here's a shot of me in action w/
my ppt260 w/ 5' extension. i'm up in a cabbage
palm about 20' and still have a couple feet of
extension left. when prunning palms, let the
weight of the saw do the work....... don't force
the cut!!!!!!

If you can only have 1, then a good manual pole saw and extension system is the indispensable tool. However, after several years of using a Power pruner I never want to be without one! It isn't as versatile a tool as the manual pole saw but it is a very useful time saver. Palms are not part of my regular business here in Colorado but I have done a few in years past while visiting milder climes. Based on that experience I would definitely recommend the Power pruner.

Get the power. So many uses, cutting vines that are hung up on limbs being dropped, shortening limbs before removal to avoid lowering them, cutting lower deadwood to make room for a ladder, working from the roof, etc..
I use Stihl and have been real happy with it. Never had a vapor problem, but the extension stopped adjusting a while ago. I haven't got it to the shop yet.. Any thoughts??
AS far as pruning goes I agree it doesn't do well for finishing cuts. When made, I will do everyrthing possible to keep from nicking other branches or the trunk. My preferred method is to leave a stub, then final cut should be an undercut straight through. I aim slighly outside the target cut to leave room for error.
God Bless All,
Daniel

Murphy,
The reason your shaft quit adjusting is because it is probably bent or twisted slightly. Stihl had to compromise between strength and weight. If it were stronger, it would be heavier as well. Even if you never force a cut (stressing the shaft and twisting it), the shaft can be bent from dropping it on the ground or a cut limb falling on it.
There is a good thread on the chainsaw forum about power pruners as well.

Budroe? how long is that Echo with the extensions on it? Hmmmmmm Think i might need one How much was it? :blob2:

echo ppt260 w/ 5' extension.......

ddm,
fully extended it's about 19.5 feet long. it comes w/ a shoulder
strap and you let the power head hang down along side of your
outer thigh. for extra height sometimes i'll swing it up and rest it on my hip. then let the weight of the pole saw make the cut.
i love it!!!!!! i paid 599.00 for the saw and another 99.00 for the extension. i got it at the depot w/ the 6 months no interest, no payments, i've already paid for the saw and then some!!!!!!! they also sell an articulating hedge trimmer attachment to do big hedges. imagine squaring off the top of a 20' hedge w/out having your feet leave the ground!!!! awesome!

I have both. Echo (with the 5 foot extension), and a Stihl HT75. I gotta cast my vote with the "E machine" :deadhorse:

I have the echo did some mods and it works real well, a lil cumbersome fully extended & reaching for all your worth but mine cuts quick & clean! for about $100.00 you can get good power and speed, Ive used mine in the utlity field its not as quick as the hydraulic pole saws, but its not that much slower.

LXT................

I have an Echo power pruner, a Stihl Ht-75, an ARS Turbo Cut and a Hayauchi saw. The ht-75 is a must for large hardwood cuts. For anything under 4" diameter, the Hayauchi is great. The blade is a bit lighter than the ARS but the 'Positive Locking Adjustment' on the ARS is crap (unless they've improved it in the last 2 years). The locking adjustment strips out if you use the saw to pull hung-up branches out of trees.

With the Hayauchi, I've had no problems whatsoever with the extension locks and am still using the original blade. The blade has been bent to near 90 degrees at times and has not broken. It's a finer blade than the ARS and is much easier to cut smaller branches with.

In my opinion, buy both a ht-75 and a Hayauchi 21' - you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back