Power pruner vs. pole saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BUY THE ECHO POWER PRUNER!!

I posted some modifications that you can make to the power pruner to avoid bad cuts/slow cutting, etc.. the mods on mine put it close to a hydraulic stick saw!!!!

Could you tell me where you posted that, it's not in this thread. :cheers:

cuts great... but too fragile
much prefer old reliable Jamison pole saws. if you shop a bit, one can come up with a blade with a hook tip that pretty darn sharp.

cutting with a chainsaw on top a ladder is a sure way to get hurt.

homeowner falls off a ladder (graphic)
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=152529

IS the BEst POle saw!! One of the best investments I have made. The Blades Are expensive to replace, but there is a shop in town that will sharpen it for $5. An Arborist can always make a better cut with a pole saw vs a powersaw. If you need to make a big cut use a ladder and chainsaw. Save some money and get a Hyuchi or two.

I have both the silky hayauchi and the echo power pruner with the extension. I use them both as needed. I also have the jameson poles with saw and pruner head...I like my silky way better. Anybody try the sintung lopper head for the silky pole saws?

Could you tell me where you posted that, it's not in this thread. :cheers:

the thread was titled "polechainsaw engines suck", it might come up with a search?? good luck.

LXT............

I always thought about buying a powered unit and never did. Then one day I found a guy selling 2 for 400 bucks with hedger and saw attachments. I would go buy a brand new one tomorrow if it broke. I use it a lot to trim braces near phone and cable lines or off a house. Great to cut back then finish cut with a saw heck of a lot faster then going up tying in and walking out the limb.

Well thanks to my good friend 046 I now have a like new Echo PPT 260. Shaft seems much more heavy duty than the Stihl power pruners (and I'm a Stihl guy). A little heavier but I don't spend all day running around with the power pruner. They are very good for some applications but not something you are going to use as much as a 200T or the like. Haven't had a chance to really use the Echo yet but I plan to do a little pruning with it tomorrow and check it out.

I have had an HT101 and an HT131. Both worked well. The 131 really has some nuts to it for a power pruner. However, the shaft is not as sturdy as the Echo pruner. I broke one on the 131 and it cost an arm and a leg to fix.

One thing the power pruner is really useful for is being able to back off a limb that is hung up and under tension (like many you will encounter in a storm situation) while you make your cut. Just work it back from the tip making undercuts. Much safer than getting right up on it and cutting with a regular saw.

BTW, I am very happy to see this old thread. Has just the info I was looking for.

Electric Pole Saws

I personally like to use an electric pole saw It has always done the job for me. I never saw the need to upgrade to any commercial-grade equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have both the silky hayauchi and the echo power pruner with the extension. I use them both as needed. I also have the jameson poles with saw and pruner head...I like my silky way better. Anybody try the sintung lopper head for the silky pole saws?

Yes and it's awesome so long as you cut square to the branch. Angle cuts shred the branch and not so clean. The ratcheting action is a big plus. Only thing I didn't like was the rope to activate the cutter is only around 18 feet long and the pole saw is 21'. Too short if you need the extra reach so I lengthened it. And watch the larger cuts. The pole bows and could bend if not kept inline.

Latest posts

Back