powerhead advice for Alaskan MKIV mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKnjp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking at getting a MKIV mill for small milling projects using mostly green white spruce under 30" in diameter and maybe some green paper birch under 24" diameter. Biggest saw I own is a Stihl 271 which is only 50cc and probably not cut out for the job. Looking for some advice on what Stihls people have had luck with when it comes to milling with a chainsaw mill? Is 60cc big enough or do I need to go for 70cc? I've only owned Stihls so I would like to stick with those but if there is a Husky that would do the job better I am open to suggestions. The saw would be dual purpose for use mainly in the mill but also for firewood cutting. Thanks!

Keep in mind that spruce is stringy and needs a fair bit of power. I'm a bit further south and mill Sitka spruce on occasion, which is even more stringy. For 30", you would want a 660/661/662...and even for bucking 30", I wouldn't want to drop much lower. If price is an issue, buy a used saw. A used 066 shouldn't cost more than $400 or tops $500 for a solid working saw.

Keep in mind that spruce is stringy and needs a fair bit of power. I'm a bit further south and mill Sitka spruce on occasion, which is even more stringy. For 30", you would want a 660/661/662...and even for bucking 30", I wouldn't want to drop much lower. If price is an issue, buy a used saw. A used 066 shouldn't cost more than $400 or tops $500 for a solid working saw.
Thanks for the info. 30” would be the absolute max I would encounter. I’ll keep my eyes out for a used saw and see if anything comes up for sale.

Back