powerlines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is neither amps or volts that kill it is lack of resistance that gets you. Staying out of the path of least resistance is your friend when working with power.

True :) Although on a contact, even if not the path of least resistance some current can flow through any and all paths. Assuming the source voltage is high enough (unless the lowest path is darn low (ie: a piece of steel). On higher voltages, it is not uncommon for the current to take multiple paths to ground. Some will experience higher current flow due to lower resistance, but all can take some flow.

But nothing beats staying smart, keeping safe.. and keeping alive!!

We used to call the three (voltage, current and amperage) the power triangle.

And yes there is a perfect insulator it was made by God it is called wings and birds have them.

Well.. yes that is a pretty good one for sure. However, God also made electricity .. and at high enough voltages it can make a path from the clouds to ground.. and although it is not directed at something with wings.. it might well cause some impact on the way by. So even then best to keep clear of massive electron flow - even with perfect insulation :)

Well.. yes that is a pretty good one for sure. However, God also made electricity .. and at high enough voltages it can make a path from the clouds to ground.. and although it is not directed at something with wings.. it might well cause some impact on the way by. So even then best to keep clear of massive electron flow - even with perfect insulation :)

Lmfao yup point taken also if you happen to have wings don't land on jacobs ladder lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXiOQCRiSp0

I worked around this stuff really had to pay close attention to minimum separation on these lines lol.

Last edited:
When I first started out on my own I was dropping a large leader that I knew was going to be close to getting into a phase three line. I made a compression cut to steer the leader way from the line. I was using a piece of crap top handled Poulan in the tree and the saw stalled out in the cut. Instead of falling in the direction that I had intended weight overtook the leader and it came off falling straight down directly towards the powerline. I saw what was happening and jerked my saw out of the cut and stood back in my spurs where they were the only thing making contact with the tree. Just the tip of the leader barely brushed the line but I felt the electricity course through my body. I was sure glad I had my wings that day. I have never taken a chance like that since. If I'm unsure I will climb on up and make my cut where I am sure that I can clear the line.

Lmfao yup point taken also if you happen to have wings don't land on jacobs ladder lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXiOQCRiSp0

I worked around this stuff really had to pay close attention to minimum separation on these lines lol.

You do so! Here is tree limb across primary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTbtkVGIDW8&feature=related

The highest voltage I worked anywhere near was in northern Quebec - in early 1980's. Was almost 760kV. Pretty impressive stuff.. could stand under transmissions lines with a fluorescent tube.. and it would glow. (now I did not try that - but Hydro Quebec had photos of it) That was fed from the Manic 5 dam.. was up there for one summer early in career doing some work.

Highest tranmission lines we have around where I am now is 440kV. But only place where trees would get near that is when it enters or leaves transformer stations.

Last edited:
When I first started out on my own I was dropping a large leader that I knew was going to be close to getting into a phase three line. I made a compression cut to steer the leader way from the line. I was using a piece of crap top handled Poulan in the tree and the saw stalled out in the cut. Instead of falling in the direction that I had intended weight overtook the leader and it came off falling straight down directly towards the powerline. I saw what was happening and jerked my saw out of the cut and stood back in my spurs where they were the only thing making contact with the tree. Just the tip of the leader barely brushed the line but I felt the electricity course through my body. I was sure glad I had my wings that day. I have never taken a chance like that since. If I'm unsure I will climb on up and make my cut where I am sure that I can clear the line.

So you had some meat or a rip I guess. The same limb and situation but done from limb above or out of the path of least resistance would have been a less dramatic experience. Make no mistake though if working around power long enough you likely will eventually experience indirect contact.

Last edited:
There must be alot of bad tree guys out there. There is no magic doing danger trees by the wire. Dont hit it, dont touch it.All we have for special equipment is poles when we are climbing, and a stick saw in the bucket. If you know how to rig rope and cut its no big deal.

There must be alot of bad tree guys out there. There is no magic doing danger trees by the wire. Dont hit it, dont touch it.All we have for special equipment is poles when we are climbing, and a stick saw in the bucket. If you know how to rig rope and cut its no big deal.

Well interesting philosophy. I was trained by utility company, now one may say they being a large company are over cautious. (same likely of any utility) We had over 50,000 employees at peak.

At any rate, what you say can be true in lower voltages, assuming of course nothing goes wrong (limbs don’t break unexpectedly, ropes don’t fail, climbers don’t slip, whatever).

But it is sure as heck wrong at higher potential. You use that thought process around 44kv or higher and you going to be one bbq’d turkey real fast.

If you want to work around power lines, and stay alive, take advise from folks like rope "Make no mistake though if working around power long enough you likely will eventually experience indirect contact. " Believe me he knows what the heck he is saying. I have seen linemen make accidental contact, these are guys trained, with proper equipment and with years of experience working with power (not trees). It happens.. usually not serious when they do it as they have equipment to handle it.. none the less with utility even if an insulated boom touches energized primary unexpectedly it is considered a contact. You see the boom could break the primary, or could push it dangerously close to something else, so is still considered potentially dangerous.

There is no magic, you are right. This is science not magic. But it does require training, and proper equipment. If you have neither or these, think long and hard about working near higher voltages.

The only magic is not to get fried while you're doing it. No room for error. I have seen plenty of climbers, experienced or not, make errors on a regular basis. No room for that on a hazard tree around high voltage. My old boss (and one of my mentors) found that out the hard way. And he had been in the biz for 40 years. He was good enough that he had made the money to buy the cranes and all the toys. Not borrow the money, made the money. I have tried to learn from his mistake and if someone can learn from one of my mistakes and stay alive that would make my millennium. If that makes me a "bad treeguy" then so be it...

I have worked everything from services to 110kv. You need to respect it cause it will kill you. didnt mean to insult anyone. Just cant understand why everyone likes to bust on the line workers then run away from doing work around the wires. Three foot wood inside M.A.D is a daily chore. I dont know anyone who likes barewire 13.2 or 34.5kv that really sucks.

Last edited:
I have nothing against line workers. Actually, I have seen them do some pretty awesome stuff. Res work and utility work are just two different animals. Homeowners often bust on them because they skin trees up with no regard for aesthetics. That often carries over to the res tree worker. But safety and utility is the mandate for the line worker.

I have worked everything from services to 110kv. You need to respect it cause it will kill you. didnt mean to insult anyone. Just cant understand why everyone likes to bust on the line workers then run away from doing work around the wires. Three foot wood inside M.A.D is a daily chore. I dont know anyone who likes barewire 13.2 or 34.5kv that really sucks.

How long have you worked these voltages? Many things you likely don't know if it has not been at least five year minimum with ongoing training and you don't master it for several more years imho. I have worked 500 kv down to 440 and 880 and have supervised it also. I have seen some very close calls but fortunately no one under my watch had a serious accident. To remain that way over two decades of doing the ones no one else could do, It takes training and commitment to safe work operations and the grit to send someone down the road that interferes with it. I have had to fire men that had a poor attitude about safety as they could jeopardize it with just the wrong attitude. Staying out of the path of least resistance and training thoroughly for the things that can go wrong has to be exercised. It will prepare you when things do go bad and eliminate panic which can be more dangerous than the hazard. To say close proximity to energized conductors is no big deal is a death wish or at least a learning difficulty.

About fifteen years working around them. If you respect what it will do you keep it in the corner of your mind. I am very safe just had a saftey audit in house and by the power company and had no problems. I work for a company and do sub work on the side for residential companies around the wires.

Back