PPE: boots, jacket?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsayen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello

I have saw chaps, saw gloves, helmet with muffs and face shield. I also wear steel toe boots but am now wondering, I notice that people don’t mention jackets or boots very often when recommending PPE.

Should I be investing in a saw jacket and special boots to increase protection? If so, what are some good options? If not, why are these locations not as heavily recommended or talked about?

thank you

Chain saw boots are a must-have for me. Feel like I don't have anything on if I don't have those on. I go the rubber ones. They last way longer than any other rubber boots I've had too - so they get used for a whole lot more than just chain sawing.

Chainsaw boots have the Kevlar wadding in the top and shin, I'm not aware of jackets with saw protection but they may exist. My understanding is the protection is based on analysis of injuries, I think by US forestry possibly, and the locations of the protective wadding are, so it does make sense.

Cheap boots protect, but aren't as comfortable. I only buck up logs for an hour or two at a time, cheap works fine. If I were a pro, climbing or just in the boots day in day out, cheap probably wouldn't cut it for comfort.

Also think about specs in addition to the face shield. They are cheap and add an extra layer of protection against chips/dust in the eyes.

@Philbert usually has good advice on PPE

1605709713306.png
It's kind of like playing the lottery, but the one you hope to never win.
I wear Steel toed boots, Chaps, Helmet.
I've thought about special glove but typically wear rawhide work gloves.
Looking at this image, I ask myself, what actions on my part could contribute to a particular injury and what injuries can I prevent through my actions or engineering controls to minimize my risk.
For the hand injuries I think of the following:
Don't cut 1-handed
Caution when cutting from the underside using top of bar. ?kick/(push) back?
Caution while Bore cut, push back?
Limp forward hand w/ kickback
Older saw without guard or chain break
??? what else ???

Hello

I have saw chaps, saw gloves, helmet with muffs and face shield. I also wear steel toe boots but am now wondering, I notice that people don’t mention jackets or boots very often when recommending PPE.

Should I be investing in this jacket and special boots to increase protection? If so, what are some good options? If not, why are these locations not as heavily recommended or talked about?

thank you
My work style varies greatly depending on the task at hand. When I'm out in the field, I don't even try; it's all jeans, t-shirts, and PPE. My boots are from Xena Workwear, and I had to send the link to our EH&S guy after I purchased them because he thought they were "too fancy" to be safety shoes.

When I'm at my desk and know I won't be in the lab, I dress up as much as I want, which includes skirts and heels for me. I wear pants with flats or oxfords and a nice shirt to the lab.

A tailored lab coat is the secret to looking 1000 percent more professional and pulled together in the lab, especially when we have visitors (as opposed to an everyday lab coat). This one is from Medelita, but another company called Classico also makes tailored lab coats. I'm considering purchasing my next one from them.

I know this thread is a year and a half old, but it caught my eye. Now that I'm getting older, I definitely sense my mortality more than I did when I was in my 20's and 30's when I thought that "nothing can happen to me, that only happens to other people". My perspective has changed a lot now. I've been good about wearing PPE for the last 10 years or so, but never had considered the Pro Mark (Stihl brand. I don't know if Husky Echo, or other manufacturers have their own versions) cut retardant shirts. Probably because I didn't even realize they were available. Well, yesterday I ordered both of the ones Stihl offers. I'm guessing they may not protect from a direct strike, although hopefully they will, but any help is a positive in my mind. They're expensive, but to me they're worth the peace of mind.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/protective-and-work-wear/chain-saw-protective-apparel/proshirt/
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/p.../chain-saw-protective-apparel/prosummershirt/

The shirts are definitely warm during the summer months which I dont cut too much in if I can help it. One of the best parts of wearing one is in the brush. They offer great protection against prickers.

View attachment 868919
It's kind of like playing the lottery, but the one you hope to never win.
I wear Steel toed boots, Chaps, Helmet.
I've thought about special glove but typically wear rawhide work gloves.
Looking at this image, I ask myself, what actions on my part could contribute to a particular injury and what injuries can I prevent through my actions or engineering controls to minimize my risk.
For the hand injuries I think of the following:
Don't cut 1-handed
Caution when cutting from the underside using top of bar. ?kick/(push) back?
Caution while Bore cut, push back?
Limp forward hand w/ kickback
Older saw without guard or chain break
??? what else ???
Safety First. Expect to Self-Rescue. Never work a Bush for dead-fall, without a spotter/helper/fellow woodsman.

Just seeing this thread today. In the US, we seem to focus on the areas identified in @anlrolfe ’s post, above: boots, chaps, gloves, head/eye/hearing protection.

On European sites, I see more of the protective pants (vs. chaps) and protective shirts / jackets.

None of it works if you don’t wear it, so pick stuff that is comfortable, and works for the kind(s) of cutting you do.

Philbert

The shirts are definitely warm during the summer months which I dont cut too much in if I can help it. One of the best parts of wearing one is in the brush. They offer great protection against prickers.
Have you seen the one that they designate "Summer" cutting shirt or something like that? I'm guessing that one's lighter material or something. I'm anxious to see and feel them both though.

Have you seen the one that they designate "Summer" cutting shirt or something like that? I'm guessing that one's lighter material or something. I'm anxious to see and feel them both though.
I have not seen them in person. The standard shirts (the first one you linked) work pretty well for the temps I typically cut in.

I wear Husqvarna rubber boots and pant chaps. The boots are good but clunky and my feet sweat allot. I'm only cutting for my wood boiler needs not for a living so it's ok. I know 2 people who cut the top of their feet, so boots with steel toe and instep protection are a must. I recently went back to wearing a helmet. I'm not felling trees, just cutting up log length right now but a recent post of someone who cut his face got me to wear a helmet again.

Post #6, Nov. 2020
Looking at the visual of frequent injuries and locations I noticed the left hand, upper arm and hand area and the number 17,994.
How does this happen?
Head/upper body, maybe kick backs.
Foot area is "relatively" low.
Left hand, I'm guessing is one of maybe two things.
Cutting, and pausing to move brush, with the saw in one hand.
Another biggie, could easily be stepping/moving (without using the chain brake), and falling with a running saw.
Years ago a friend was cutting and kicking smaller pieces out of the way, until she put her knee in the stopped chain, cutting it seriously. Not deep, just a nasty dirty mess of it.

I know this thread is a year and a half old, but it caught my eye. Now that I'm getting older, I definitely sense my mortality more than I did when I was in my 20's and 30's when I thought that "nothing can happen to me, that only happens to other people". My perspective has changed a lot now. I've been good about wearing PPE for the last 10 years or so, but never had considered the Pro Mark (Stihl brand. I don't know if Husky Echo, or other manufacturers have their own versions) cut retardant shirts. Probably because I didn't even realize they were available. Well, yesterday I ordered both of the ones Stihl offers. I'm guessing they may not protect from a direct strike, although hopefully they will, but any help is a positive in my mind. They're expensive, but to me they're worth the peace of mind.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/protective-and-work-wear/chain-saw-protective-apparel/proshirt/
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/p.../chain-saw-protective-apparel/prosummershirt/
How much were they if you don’t mind me asking…

How much were they if you don’t mind me asking…
I think according to the Stihl website, they retail for 110.00 or 120.00? I paid 104.00 for each on my local dealer's website. Expensive, but to me, if they serve their purpose one time when I slip, or let the saw kick when I'm not paying attention the way I should be, they'll be worth it.

Post #6, Nov. 2020
Looking at the visual of frequent injuries and locations I noticed the left hand, under arm and hand area and the number 17,994.
How does this happen?
Head/upper body, maybe kick backs.
Foot area is "relatively" low.
Left hand, I'm guessing is one of maybe two things.
Cutting, and pausing to move brush, with the saw in one hand.
Another biggie, could easily be stepping/moving (without using the chain brake), and falling with a running saw.
Years ago a friend was cutting and kicking smaller pieces out of the way, until she put her knee in the stopped chain, cutting it seriously. Not deep, just a nasty dirty mess of it.
I'm thinking that the left hand thing might be related to top handles. I could see how it would be easy for someone to reach in with their left hand while cutting with a top handle.

IMO one handed cutting has its place in the tree, but requires a ton of respect and knowledge of the saw.

Back